Remove Advertisements

So, I just watched Corpse Bride for the first time...

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

So, I just watched Corpse Bride for the first time...

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Why didn't anyone tell me how good it was back when it launched? <grumbles>

Such a grave mistake it was to wait so long to watch it!
grave mistake...hehehe.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: So, I just watched Corpse Bride for the first time...

Postby Aubade » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:47 pm

I loved Corpse Bride.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 am

I would like this movie more if HBC didn't give me the creeping willies.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:41 am

It was a good movie but I don't remember it being anything too special. I should re-watch it sometime though, it has been a long time since I saw it. I want to say I remember the conflicts being pretty interesting (with the crazy girl and such)? But again, it has been too long for me to recall any specific details.
ImageImage
mew

Postby katraya » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:16 am

I actually bought this over the weekend and watched it for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I was a bit annoyed by the characters being named Victor and Victoria though.

I still need to get around to watching Ed Wood and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at some point.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:19 am

katraya wrote:I actually bought this over the weekend and watched it for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I was a bit annoyed by the characters being named Victor and Victoria though.

I still need to get around to watching Ed Wood and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at some point.

Have you seen the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? If not, I would way watch that one instead (or first).
What is Ed Wood? I haven't heard of that one.
ImageImage
mew

Postby katraya » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 am

mew wrote:Have you seen the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? If not, I would way watch that one instead (or first).
What is Ed Wood? I haven't heard of that one.

I've seen the original dozens of times, which is why I was never in a big rush to see Burton's version.

Ed Wood is about a stunningly bad director and based on an actual person. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

I actually got quite a few movies this weekend, dirt cheap.

Corpse Bride
The Descent - supposed to be good and I'm clausterphobic so it should scare the crap out of me
The Godfather - because a disturbing number of people I know haven't seen it
Evil Dead 2 - to replace my VHS copy
Kingpin - bf wanted it and it was a 2 for $10 with Descent

My boyfriend got Reservoir Dogs for $4...at Walmart. :shock:
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Great-film-I-should-have-seen-a-long-time-ago was Pan's Labyrinth for me.
I saw it last week and was completely taken by the whole film. I almost cried at the end... :cry:
(the worst DVD encoding I've ever seen, btw)

Corpse Bride was... okay, I guess.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 pm

culhag wrote:Great-film-I-should-have-seen-a-long-time-ago was Pan's Labyrinth for me.
I saw it last week and was completely taken by the whole film. I almost cried at the end... :cry:
(the worst DVD encoding I've ever seen, btw)
Yeeeeah :D I loved that movie! Everything about it was wonderful. It was a nice mix of just a fun movie and something deeper.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Melathys » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 pm

pan's labyrinth... when I saw the, uh, face smashing part, I was thusly convinced that despite the main character, it is not a children's movie.
Melathys

Postby mew » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Melathys wrote:pan's labyrinth... when I saw the, uh, face smashing part, I was thusly convinced that despite the main character, it is not a children's movie.

Oh definitely not. Well, not a "children's movie" by today's standards.
Personally I would say it is pretty acceptable for a 10 year old but this is coming from someone who always watched PG13+ action movies since I was 8. Pan's Labyrinth is quite dark (in a non-Tim Burton kind of way) and a bit violent. I don't think children would necessarily enjoy it (especially because of the ending), it might come off as more of a horror movie. But I think it would/could open them to the idea that movies don't always end the same way, aren't completely predictable, different cultures have different ideas of what "kid's movies" are, etc (was it marketed as a kid's movie where it was produced?). So I guess it could serve as a good before-teen movie, but in the teens it would be completely acceptable anyways.

Edit: (ohno I'm sorry, this turned in to an offtopic mini rant/confusion)
But I don't know how things are these days. I see my little cousins who are around 10 and they are still just barely allowed to watch PG movies (their parents have to have seen them first), and of course PG-13 is completely out of the question.
What I thought was odd once was when they came over to our house and we went to go rent movies. One of them had read the Series of Unfortunate Events books and wanted to see the movie, so we asked her mom and I think she only said yes because they were on vacation at our place so she was being lenient (she is a really cool person to talk to but it's so odd how when it comes to her kids she is so much more strict than I would have imagined from the conversations I have with her). So we watched the movie and it's a little dark, and their mom was just like "You read this book?!" (not angry but surprised and confused). I don't know what the actual book was like but the girl didn't enjoy the movie much because of the darkness (makes me wonder that the book might not have been like that).
But it also makes me wonder if it is possible that books have similar levels of "inappropriate" dark or violent content but they aren't nearly as controlled because parents want their kids to read or because books don't have as strict levels of control? The girls' reading levels are in teens even though they are (were) still like 9 and 11, so they are going to be reading teen content books even though the parents keep what they watch and are exposed to so controlled.
ImageImage
mew

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Descent was pretty bad. I wanted all the characters to die. Some nice things-jump-out-of-the-dark moments, but they're few and far between. IIRC they try to stack tension by coupling the horror movie woman vs the unkown with woman vs woman, but frankly it just made me dislike all of the characters. It was nominated for awards, I think, so YMMV.

I detested Pan's Labyrinth. Excellent art direction and production values -- it is a lush, lush film. Bone stupid characters and poor internal consistency. Again, many awards, so YMMV.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Descent was pretty bad. I wanted all the characters to die. Some nice things-jump-out-of-the-dark moments, but they're few and far between. IIRC they try to stack tension by coupling the horror movie woman vs the unkown with woman vs woman, but frankly it just made me dislike all of the characters. It was nominated for awards, I think, so YMMV.

I detested Pan's Labyrinth. Excellent art direction and production values -- it is a lush, lush film. Bone stupid characters and poor internal consistency. Again, many awards, so YMMV.

I can see that about the characters. What do you mean by internal consistency?
I'm normally pretty shallow when it comes to movies so for me Pan's Labyrinth was a mix of just a nice looking fun movie with some unexpected parts and then a bit of a thinking twist at the end.

Vanifae and I have taken to watching newer made really poorly rated movies on Xbox Netflix. A few months ago we experienced the wonders of Rise of the Scarecrows, and Deadgirl prior to that.
ImageImage
mew

Postby ulushnar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Pan's Labyrinth is still on my to-watch pile. I keep starting it, but it demands more concentration from me than I'm usually willing to give it.

But going back to the original topic, fuck Tim Burton. I've hated him since I was in my twenties and every girl I dated had a well-worn copy of Nightmare they tried to make me watch. It was a conspiracy I tells ya!
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:28 pm

ulushnar wrote:But going back to the original topic, fuck Tim Burton. I've hated him since I was in my twenties and every girl I dated had a well-worn copy of Nightmare they tried to make me watch. It was a conspiracy I tells ya!
Nice to see someone else /thumbsup
I can't say I hate him but I really don't see anything special about his movies. The hype everyone else puts out makes me want to hate his movies, but I try to keep in the middle about it... It was original at first, Nightmare Before Christmas had a cool plot (holiday worlds), but the things he has been spewing out these days end up being so "over-played" (I can't think of the right word) and often doesn't have anything of a unique or good plot. "They are kind of dark and have Johnny Depp".
I mean, I have no problem with him riding out his cash cow as he wants, I'm sure he enjoys making his movies, they do have some interesting spins in them, I'm sure Johnny Depp is a cool guy and he enjoys working with him, but that doesn't make them good movies.
ImageImage
mew

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum