Remove Advertisements

Njall's Happy Fun Time Role Playing Train of Pain (RPGs)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Njall's Happy Fun Time Role Playing Train of Pain (RPGs)

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:15 am

Joanadark wrote:I really, really, really, really miss D&D.

A lot.

Would anyone be interested in doing a forum/vent based campaign?

Tempted. Tempted. There are actually some very good online tools for this sort of thing. My wife is in an online champions game that has been going for years. I'll ask her about what tools they use.

Edit... when she gets back from Germany. God, I miss her.

Works on filk of "Tower of Song" about DMing.

I asked Gary Gygax how deadly does it get?
Gary Gygax hasn't answered yet
But I hear dice rollin' all night long.
They never let a goblin kill you
In the [Tower of song]
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:32 am

I'd be interested in a forum/vent game, but I suspect timezones would be an issue. Unless you want to play the sidekicks of Snorri McHorlicks, Narcoleptic Dwarf Rogue.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:35 am

Njall wrote:Edit:
Post by Talderas

My case is rested.

I'm not sure which one you're talking about. In my character's case (to use D&D alignments) he is decidedly Lawful Neutral to Neutral with regard to morals. He doesn't do good for the sake of doing good, but he avoids perceived evil acts whenever possible (with the exception of one bit of revenge). He does not want to run the Shadows, but given that he is an escaped convict, he has little choice. The Johnson offered him reinstatement to his previous posting, wiping off his criminal SIN, and giving him the person that caused him to get incarcerated in the first place for cooperating with Johnson and completing his missions. Essentially, he was promised to be returned to a life very similar to his old life. I am uncertain why or how you could find fault the motivation and attempts to prevent actions that threaten that reward.

The latter case was undoubtedly caused by a poor GM. I have talked in reflection about it with my Shadowrun GM (who was also playing that game) and we both agree that it was poor management on his part in multiple areas. He ran the game in a fashion that caused multiple players to get frustrated. Something that should be avoided. You can go on for all you want about how the player should have exerted self-control. Perhaps it's relevant, perhaps it isn't, but the GM is just as responsible for the social contract as the players.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:40 am

ulushnar wrote:I'd be interested in a forum/vent game, but I suspect timezones would be an issue. Unless you want to play the sidekicks of Snorri McHorlicks, Narcoleptic Dwarf Rogue.

... who probably SHOULD be in Ul'dum.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:48 am

ulushnar wrote:I'd be interested in a forum/vent game, but I suspect timezones would be an issue.

For Vent-based play, yes. For forum-based, probably not.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 am

Njall wrote:
A lot.

Tempted. Tempted. There are actually some very good online tools for this sort of thing.

I'd be interested in a forum-based one; Roleplay online (rpol.net) had some really slick stuff for secret rolls, private notes to the GM in your posts, etc. I liked it, even if the PACE of the game was always glacial. I'm not sure I could keep up with it if I started one, though. =/ That said, I've been aching to try to play an iaijutsu-master styled character (even in a non-asian themed game, I think it could work as a type of swordsman).
Kelaan

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:30 am

Kelaan wrote:
Njall wrote:
A lot.

Tempted. Tempted. There are actually some very good online tools for this sort of thing.

I'd be interested in a forum-based one; Roleplay online (rpol.net) had some really slick stuff for secret rolls, private notes to the GM in your posts, etc. I liked it, even if the PACE of the game was always glacial. I'm not sure I could keep up with it if I started one, though. =/ That said, I've been aching to try to play an iaijutsu-master styled character (even in a non-asian themed game, I think it could work as a type of swordsman).

That might be the site Mel uses. It sounds very familiar but then, at my age, everything reminds me of everything else. :roll:

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 am

Sabindeus wrote:They may be selfish, sadistic, ambitious, power-hungry, scheming, murderous, dishonest, intolerant, destructive, any of the above, all of the above, or more.

Honestly, I like my *heroic* RPing better when they exhibit some of these traits, albeit subtly. Kantian heroes are usually just as lame as their villainous counterparts. I've seen a few that end up fun, but mostly because both the GM/DM and the player *make* it work in the setting. Most of the time they just end up degenerating into "Lawful Stupid" or "Stupid Good".

Snake-Aes wrote: Both the asshole and the other guys have to deliberately accept what they'll face.

The thing is, no, they don't. If people stop enjoying, they stop playing. They don't "have to accept" mistreatment/rudeness, and most Roleplayers I've known won't. That they handled the matter in-game, by Njall's account, speaks highly of them. This left the ball in the offending party's court, and said party decided that he couldn't handle the natural, social (in-game) consequences of being a jerk, and decided to leave.

Its a very fine line to walk playing "the backstabber", and people's rejection of such a playstyle generally has little to do with maturity. If the game in question is entirely about being a jerkass, then sure, jerkass behavior by PCs should be assumed. Otherwise, its reasonably assumed that players should be at least slightly inclined to cooperate with the other players in securing objectives, and you can expect those that are egregiously traitorous in their behavior (whether it is "method roleplay" or not) to be handled by the betrayed in what is pretty much the most logical fashion (taking revenge).
Hokahey

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:20 am

Nakama wrote:I miss RPGs a lot! I wrote for L5R as a freelancer for a long while (look up Jed Carleton sometime if you're bored), ran a Mage campaign for a year, ran in Star Wars (the old d6 version!), AD&D, Vampire, Werewolf and multiple different L5R campaigns... and haven't been in an actual campaign of any kind in more than 8 years. :(

--Jed

JED! Ah, good to see you. Jeff Kyer here. Or, you may recall me as Kitsune Katsume. :D Man, that takes me back.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 am

Kelaan wrote:Such tool-destruction sounds like it merited copious amounts of experience rewards. :D Also, advanced dungeons and discourse... basically a nerdy form of Morningstar Crescent. Damn if it doesn't sound cool, but I can't figure out how to make it work. :(

Yeah, it did. Retroactively, I had to go back and give them planning XP points - worked out to be about a dozen each. In WoD that's no small sum. I even sprung for the pizza and beer myself (and at Canadian prices too!). I love it when the players get the better of me like that.

As for players who are jerks (or who do jerky things like steal from party members etc), how do I (as a player) deal with it in a way that isn't "no I won't play with you"?

Make damned sure he rolls for it. And make sure that the 'dice fall where they may' when he is inevitably caught. And to be honest, why would you travel with a bindlestiff when you find out his real activities? As an aside, sometimes players get into that sort of behavior due to one of two things: game is too easy so they go after the 'most dangerous game' or they are so overwhelmed/outclassed by the rest of the gameworld that the only way they can affect *something*.

But others have had better suggestions than I.

A bindlestiff is a hobo who steals from other vagrants. I always viewed most RPG characters as "murderous hobos" for their activities and traveling lifestyle!

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm not experienced in RPGs but if you guys would have me, I'd join an online campaign.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Aubade wrote:I'm not experienced in RPGs but if you guys would have me, I'd join an online campaign.

A pen & paper rpg needs, ideally, a voice communication channel, a software where everyone can see everyone's sheets, alongside with dice rollers and the dm's screen. After that it's just a commitment of time. Very rarely a good rpg session will last less than two straight hours.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Aubade wrote:I'm not experienced in RPGs but if you guys would have me, I'd join an online campaign.

A pen & paper rpg needs, ideally, a voice communication channel, a software where everyone can see everyone's sheets, alongside with dice rollers and the dm's screen. After that it's just a commitment of time. Very rarely a good rpg session will last less than two straight hours.

Hm... my campaign uses text chat instead of voice chat. It works well for us (also lets us go back and review session logs so we don't need to keep detailed notes)
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Minnerva » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:

Hm... my campaign uses text chat instead of voice chat. It works well for us (also lets us go back and review session logs so we don't need to keep detailed notes)

some how when ever i think of sabindeus making a RPG thing, this comes to mind

Sabindues: you walk through the fields of the country side, you.....WHAT?
player: I want to talk to the magical unicorn left of us
Sabindeus: there is no unicorn
Player: I roll to see if there is one!
Sabindeus: I said....<player rolls>
Player: natural 20! i want to talk to the unicorn, i walk towards him looking in amazement.
sabindeus: <grumbles>
Player: come on! what does the unicorn say? i want to try to talk to it.
Sabindeus: roll your dice
<player rolls>
Sabindeus: a man appears from behind the "unicorn" rips off the paper mache horn and tosses it at you, would you like to speak to the normal average horse now?
Minnerva

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I have run games in mIRC before and done play by post games. One of the longest i ran was a Mutants and Masterminds game on EnWorld.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum