Njall's Happy Fun Time Role Playing Train of Pain (RPGs)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Njall's Happy Fun Time Role Playing Train of Pain (RPGs)

Postby Candiru » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm

I used to play WFRPG which was pretty good. (Warhammer RPG, done by hogshead publishing.) Had quite an nice system of career paths rather than classes. (Eg, you were a rat-catcher or a scribe or a pit-fighter before becoming an adventurer!) You have guns, magic, Chaos cultists corrupting the world of men etc. I think the system works better than D&D if you want to have a less hack&slash and more role-play adventure.

Role-play not roll-play, etc.
Candiru

Postby Dazhbog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Xenix wrote:
Dazhbog wrote:I have percolating ideas for a D&D campaign I'd like to run sometime soon, probably in 4E since most of my friends around here who expressed interest aren't tabletop people. The basic idea is the party begins with a (doomed) defending action as their small hometown on the outskirts of Country is invaded by Large_Invading_Force. This kicks off a fighting retreat style campaign as they head for the nation's capital to warn them of the invasion, followed by Defense of Capital (with less doom!) and then if they want to continue, they become part of either pushing the invaders back, or a resistance movement. I haven't decided the details on that part yet.

I forsee much player death in the beginning of such a campaign, as my experience has shown most (other) players are way too overconfident and either refuse to run away or get themselves in a situation where they can't. Immovable rods were my favorite for entertaining getaways - use 'em to make a nice exit hole on an airship in motion, use 'em for jumping off cliffs/waterfalls, use 'em with a time stop to give you time to shove them in Death's eye sockets and rib cage to give you time to run (that was a fun fight). Not so much of that in the 4th edition campaigns I've been in though; too much focus on ultimate damage.

You could always explain what's going to happen in advance of course, but that would ruin the entertainment value of seeing how many players go down before they realize booking it is a good idea. :twisted:

Oh, I'm sure they'll be bull headed, but the initial "Run away!" moment is going to be them (4-6) versus, oh, a few hundred. Hopefully they'll get the hint.
Dazhbog

Postby Candiru » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Remember kids, when you are heavily outnumbered play on hex not square grids. This way you only have to fight 6 people at once rather than 8!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0175.html
Candiru

Postby Euphoria » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm

sahiel wrote:
Xenix wrote:I forsee much player death in the beginning of such a campaign, as my experience has shown most (other) players are way too overconfident and either refuse to run away or get themselves in a situation where they can't. Immovable rods were my favorite for entertaining getaways - use 'em to make a nice exit hole on an airship in motion, use 'em for jumping off cliffs/waterfalls, use 'em with a time stop to give you time to shove them in Death's eye sockets and rib cage to give you time to run (that was a fun fight). Not so much of that in the 4th edition campaigns I've been in though; too much focus on ultimate damage.

You could always explain what's going to happen in advance of course, but that would ruin the entertainment value of seeing how many players go down before they realize booking it is a good idea. :twisted:

I've been running the Pathfinder Kingmaker path for a little while now, at the very start I explained ooc to the players that they decided what to do and where to go, they had their mandate but what they actually did was up to them, however if they felt they were out of their depth they should probably reevaluate where they had gone, they all nodded and looked serious.

Four sessions later they're 2nd level and have traveled faaar beyond the area their charter called for them to clear for settlement. They find a recently revealed cairn an earthquake had torn open the side of, start exploring and eventually awaken the ancient (CR 6) warrior buried there, whose tribe fought a war of extermination against elves as depicted in old carvings in the cairn, the party is mostly elves of some sort, the carvings which are everywhere show him slaughtering hordes of elven warriors and mages before finally being bought down... so of course, they attack.

After some miraculous rolls on their part they end up a few rounds later dragging the unconscious half of the party out of the cairn and desperately trying to stabilise them before they die. As soon as that's done? They plan how to go back in and fight the cairn wight again. I swear, these people go from intelligent programmers to tunnel vision psychopaths the moment we start playing.

Kingmaker is a painful AP if players aren't willing to run from random encounters too. 1d4 trolls at level 1 cannot be beaten by a normal party.

I also had a party that wasn't quite ready for Tick. They pounded all the mites down and he absolutely went nuts on them.
Euphoria

Postby Malthrax » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:59 pm

[quote="sahiel"... not everything in the world should be able to be defeated when the players meet it. [/quote]

Could you please go work for Blizzard?
Malthrax

Postby sahiel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Euphoria wrote:Kingmaker is a painful AP if players aren't willing to run from random encounters too. 1d4 trolls at level 1 cannot be beaten by a normal party.

I also had a party that wasn't quite ready for Tick. They pounded all the mites down and he absolutely went nuts on them.

I tend to use random encounters somewhat judiciously, but yeah, it can definitely be a pain if they're stuck in the "it's an adventure so we must be able to kill everything" mindset. Thankfully it seems mine do that less and less as time goes on, the fights that might be tougher that they do pick tend to be when they have the advantage of setting an ambush beforehand.

Mine have just founded their nation and done the first months kingdom turn to get an idea of it, I think i'll give them a break for a bit and let them get a few months building in with only minor events maybe so they can get it all started, then... Rivers Run Red :D
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Obligatory refrence for attacking things out of hand...

The Tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
by Richard Aronson [aronson@sierratel.com]

In the early seventies, Ed Whitchurch ran "his game", and one of the participants was Eric Sorenson. Eric plays something like a computer. When he games, he methodically considers each possibility before choosing his preferred option. If given time, he will invariably pick the optimal solution. It has been known to take weeks. He is otherwise, in all respects, a superior gamer. Eric was playing a Neutral Paladin in Ed's game. He was on some lord's lands when the following exchange occurred:

ED: You see a well groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo.
ERIC: A gazebo? What color is it?

ED: [pause] It's white, Eric.
ERIC: How far away is it?

ED: About 50 yards.
ERIC: How big is it?

ED: [pause] It's about 30 ft across, 15 ft high, with a pointed top.
ERIC: I use my sword to detect good on it.

ED: It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo.
ERIC: [pause] I call out to it.

ED: It won't answer. It's a gazebo.
ERIC: [pause] I sheathe my sword and draw my bow and arrows. Does it respond in any way?

ED: No, Eric, it's a gazebo!
ERIC: I shoot it with my bow. [roll to hit] What happened?

ED: There is now a gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it.
ERIC: [pause] Wasn't it wounded?

ED: OF COURSE NOT, ERIC! IT'S A GAZEBO!
ERIC: [whimper] But that was a +3 arrow!

ED: It's a gazebo, Eric, a GAZEBO! If you really want to try to destroy it, you could try to chop it with an axe, I suppose, or you could try to burn it, but I don't know why anybody would even try. It's a @#$%!! gazebo!
ERIC: [long pause. He has no axe or fire spells.] I run away.

ED: [thoroughly frustrated] It's too late. You've awakened the gazebo. It catches you and eats you.
ERIC: [reaching for his dice] Maybe I'll roll up a fire-using mage so I can avenge my Paladin.

At this point, the increasingly amused fellow party members restored a modicum of order by explaining to Eric what a gazebo is. Thus ends the tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo. It could have been worse; at least the gazebo wasn't on a grassy gnoll. Thus ends the tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo. A little vocabulary is a dangerous thing.

The above is Copyright © 1989 by Richard Aronson. Reprinted with permission. The author grants permission to reprint as long as all copyright notices remain with the text.

"Eric and the Gazebo" was written and copyrighted by me in 1986. It was based on an event at a role-playing game, but the addition of several jokes moves it out of journalism, or at least into Docuhumor. Some of the people at the game retold the event, each with their own spin, but I was the one who told it to Lee Gold, editor of the fanzine "Alarums and Excursions," who insisted I print it up for her. After reprinting in several amateur publications, it leapt to "The Mensa Bulletin." I then foolishly allowed a reader to reprint it on the internet (who knew from internet in 1989). For many years his was the only interent reprint which even mentioned that there was a copyright on it (thanks, James Chu). Eventually I became a professional game designer for Sierra On-Line and the late lamented "ImagiNation Network" and after having been accused of stealing my own story at a gaming convention I have spend several hours every year protecting my copyright, especially since I incorporated E&tG into a chapter of my as yet unpublished novel. "
Richard Aronson, Feb 15, 2000
Candiru

Postby Dazhbog » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:56 pm

You laugh, but after the third time animate furniture kills a party member, you stop messing around.

That shit burns.
Dazhbog

Postby Blackharon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 am

Dazhbog wrote:You laugh, but after the third time animate furniture kills a party member, you stop messing around.

That shit burns.

I once did that to a gold harp a PC kept coming back to try and pry a mermaid figure off of. After his 3rd return trip to the same castle for solely that reason the mermaid woke up.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum