Remove Advertisements

Webcomics! (Loads of images)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Webcomics! (Loads of images)

Postby ceela » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 am

Njall wrote:Dresden Codak is... It is what it is.

It is very much so. I do wish it updated more often but it's hardly surprising. (Also, the bound copy of Hob was more tempting than it should have been)
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 am

ceela wrote:
Njall wrote:Dresden Codak is... It is what it is.

It is very much so. I do wish it updated more often but it's hardly surprising. (Also, the bound copy of Hob was more tempting than it should have been)

Yes, and this one is curiously "on topic" such as it is...

Which reminds me, I need to pick up a copy of Narbonic.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 am

The only web comic I read is Sexy Losers so I can't share any =(
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 am

Njall wrote:Or, of course, Dungeons and Discourse....

That comic is distilled awesome. Especially for a math/physics nerd that took a philosophy class or two in college (gotta pick up those humanities credits somewhere!).

I'm sure I must've heard of it before, but I've never read it. I'll have to add that to my RSS reader and catch up on it.

Now if only it had an archive binge feed.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Njall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:08 am

Comic is over and done with. He told the story he wanted to tell and stopped telling it. Now there's a one page story that comes out from time to time.

Narbonic might also be to your liking.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 am

Boyfriend wrote:I've always wanted to ask this someone who knows something about it, but my amateurish interpretation is correct that only the propagation of light is slowed, but the speed of individual waves between interaction with the medium remains more or less constant (c)?

The short short version is as follows:

A pulse of light is made up of the interference of many monochromatic waves. Each of the monochromatic waves travels at c/n, where n is the refractive index of the material. However, the peak of the pulse is the point where all of those waves interfere constructively. If n is the same for each monochromatic wave (i.e. no dispersion), then the pulse also travels at c/n.

However, in real materials, there is dispersion, so n is different for each of the constituent monochromatic waves. Because of this, the point of constructive interference (and generally the entire pulse) travels a little differently - either slower or faster (or even backwards!) depending on exactly how quickly n changes with wavelength. We call the propagation speed of the entire pulse the "group velocity."

In general, dispersion causes pulse distortion or reshaping. What we (and by "we" I mean "the slow light community") generally mean when we say "slow light" is a particular type of dispersion profile (dn/dlambda) that gives us an unusually small group velocity but preserves the pulse shape. So in that sense, slow light is a reshaping effect that doesn't reshape the pulse, but shifts it ahead or behind in space.

Note that it's not correct to say that the individual photons in the pulse travel at c/n (which is why I took back my earlier statement). A single photon actually travels at the group velocity, because it has bandwidth (i.e. it's not monochromatic).

But again... we should probably take this to another thread, since it's not very webcomicy.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Argali » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:35 am

Lies! Science belongs in webcomics!

PS, like I said, the article I read said that while they could make *something* move faster than light, it couldn't contain any information.
Argali

Postby Arcand » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:54 am

Argali wrote:Lies! Science belongs in webcomics!

PS, like I said, the article I read said that while they could make *something* move faster than light, it couldn't contain any information.

Think about the sun, then suddenly start thinking about your nose. The place that you are thinking about just moved 93 million miles in a fraction of a second. In your face, physics! :)
Arcand

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 am

Arcand wrote:
Argali wrote:Lies! Science belongs in webcomics!

Think about the sun, then suddenly start thinking about your nose. The place that you are thinking about just moved 93 million miles in a fraction of a second. In your face, physics! :)

Broken perspective is actually what allows for apparently infinite acceleration over a limited plane. An object going through a surface with less dimensions than it's own will only show up partially there, seemingly morphing or even abrutly changing direction.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Arcand wrote:Think about the sun, then suddenly start thinking about your nose. The place that you are thinking about just moved 93 million miles in a fraction of a second. In your face, physics! :)

Uh, I hate to break your bubble, but the earth only travels around the sun at roughly 67,000 mph, or a little under 19 miles per second.

In fact, there's nothing that can move at 93 million miles per second. For reference, the speed of light is just over 186,000 miles per second.
theckhd

Postby Argali » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 pm

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE IT WITH MY OWN!
Argali

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 pm

theckhd wrote:
Arcand wrote:Think about the sun, then suddenly start thinking about your nose. The place that you are thinking about just moved 93 million miles in a fraction of a second. In your face, physics! :)

Uh, I hate to break your bubble, but the earth only travels around the sun at roughly 67,000 mph, or a little under 19 miles per second.

In fact, there's nothing that can move at 93 million miles per second. For reference, the speed of light is just over 186,000 miles per second.

Quit overthinking jokes.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Flex wrote:Quit overthinking jokes.

Jokes? In a webcomic thread? Madness!
theckhd

Postby Argali » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:57 pm

MADNESS?

THIS

IS

AA!
Argali

Postby Arnock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 pm

theckhd wrote:

*woosh*
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum