Remove Advertisements

Final Fantasy XIII

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Postby Talderas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Talderas wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:Edea's a close second without the creepy headdress.

I didn't count temporary / non-playable characters either. She definitely has a great outfit, and her headdress isn't that creepy.

I'm not sure she fits as temporary as she antagonizes you for two discs and has both some play time and minor role in the group for the rest of the game.

Regardless, she's hot too.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby fudomyou » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:07 pm

I have written 3,300 words so far (and there are about 1700 still in me, I think) about how much I despise every aspect of Final Fantasy XIII's design. They designed the game by committee, and every decision was made poorly.

http://megatokyo.com/strip/1254#rant1017
http://megatokyo.com/strip/1257#rant1020

One example: main character death means instant game over. The last boss has a randomly targeted instant death spell. The most resistance you can ever have to instant death is 60%. So, at any given point during a 40-minute battle, the boss can snap his fingers and bring you to the game over screen. Even with the best anti-death defensive item in the game equipped, leveled to the max, which took a good two hours or so of pure grinding for money and materials, your 33% chance of game over merely becomes a 13% chance of game over every 30 seconds or so. I nearly broke my television.

Fuck that game and all of its designers. I want them lined up and shot for wasting 50 hours of my life.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Delphineas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:46 pm

I didn't get too far into IX because I hated being required to hit a button every single time I wanted to attack with Squall, VIII was awesome

You have your games mixed up/ Squall was in 8, not 9. However I remember nothing about 9 except The main hero had a tail, the summoner a horn, and Alexander dies. Why is one of the awesomest summons so weak! QQ
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Roots » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Delphineas wrote:
I didn't get too far into IX because I hated being required to hit a button every single time I wanted to attack with Squall, VIII was awesome

You have your games mixed up/ Squall was in 8, not 9. However I remember nothing about 9 except The main hero had a tail, the summoner a horn, and Alexander dies. Why is one of the awesomest summons so weak! QQ

see
Roots wrote:I flipped VIII/IX around in my post, but the point still stands:

Quistis was in fact a hottie
Roots

Postby Melathys » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Thalia wrote:They made it a focus to be able to do plenty of things without a group this time, so at least they will make the experience this time not be tied to you finding 4 other people to play =)

I personally enjoyed soloing in ffxi..then again, i was a thf/nin. I remember watching an entire alliance wipe to Ancient Goobue, and then a friend (Bard) and I kill him with just the two of us with the alliance watching. Or tanking Bune as a thief. Thats what I really enjoyed about ffxi over wow...doing something by yourself (or with a friend) felt like an accomplishment.

With everything they've been doing right for the old and busted FFXI, I CANNOT WAIT to see what they do with a new mmo from the ground up.
Melathys

Postby tinalt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 pm

I just hope that square doesn't do the whole "oh hi guys, I'm the final boss. I know this is the first time we've met, but I'm going to kill you now" thing.
Yu Yevon, Necron, and Ultimecia all come out at the end of the game or right before it.

We need more bosses like Kefka or Sephiroth. I'd rather battle against a boss that I've been chasing after.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:09 pm

You see the last boss plenty of times before you fight him for keeps. I just never cared.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:11 am

tinalt wrote:I just hope that square doesn't do the whole "oh hi guys, I'm the final boss. I know this is the first time we've met, but I'm going to kill you now" thing.
Yu Yevon, Necron, and Ultimecia all come out at the end of the game or right before it.

We need more bosses like Kefka or Sephiroth. I'd rather battle against a boss that I've been chasing after.

Vayne Solidor? Are you talking about the characters seeing the end boss, or the characters knowing about him?
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Brand » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:20 am

fudomyou wrote:I have written 3,300 words so far (and there are about 1700 still in me, I think) about how much I despise every aspect of Final Fantasy XIII's design. They designed the game by committee, and every decision was made poorly.

http://megatokyo.com/strip/1254#rant1017
http://megatokyo.com/strip/1257#rant1020

One example: main character death means instant game over. The last boss has a randomly targeted instant death spell. The most resistance you can ever have to instant death is 60%. So, at any given point during a 40-minute battle, the boss can snap his fingers and bring you to the game over screen. Even with the best anti-death defensive item in the game equipped, leveled to the max, which took a good two hours or so of pure grinding for money and materials, your 33% chance of game over merely becomes a 13% chance of game over every 30 seconds or so. I nearly broke my television.

Fuck that game and all of its designers. I want them lined up and shot for wasting 50 hours of my life.

I'm an avid lover of the series. I have played every iteration of Final Fantasy that I have been able to get my hands on. I'm a fervent lover of FFIV (the DS remake I could play until the end of time), and was a major reason why I play a Paladin in every game I come across today. I loved VII, I loved IX, I loved X (sorry, tis true), and I played a PLD/WAR until I just could not hold out against WoW any longer. But I have been on the fence about XIII for some time now. Very much a game that looks to put style way ahead of substance. And from reading your review, everything there sounds like things that would drive me to run a bus full of kittens off a cliff. I may one day add this game to my collection (so that I may keep my collection complete, I even have X-2, although it's never been opened and never will be), but it will not be when it is released. And certainly not in the near future.

Thank you once again for your sacrifice.

I want to say thank you. Thank you for your sacrifice.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 am

Brand wrote:I even have X-2, although it's never been opened and never will be

I have it. It is most excellent eye candy.
Talderas

Postby Brand » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:53 am

Talderas wrote:
Brand wrote:I even have X-2, although it's never been opened and never will be

I have it. It is most excellent eye candy.

I've actually played my friend's copy for about two hours (it was very painstaking, the opening movie almost made me vomit) and was convinced that the game wasn't real because of how ridiculous I found it. I wasn't very fond of Yuna in FFX so I was very skeptical about whether or not I'd like her in the driver's seat (I didn't). I really didn't buy the whole Gullwings vibe that they were putting out, it seemed forced considering neither Yuna or Rikku had been that strong sexy woman type in FFX and really came off as somewhat frumpy and immature (respectively) to me. It's possible that in the interim the two characters could become fundamentally different (although Rikku was always a bit perky) in my eyes, I just thought it could have been done better. And the dresspheres and the Garment Grid? Yeah, not a fan. At all.

On top of that, I don't find a single one of the protagonists attractive in any way. And the story, what parts I was able to digest, was pretty straightforward and not very engaging. Nevertheless, I wound up buying it (because I am a collector of the series) because I found a brand new copy for $10. Eye candy isn't everything to me, as some of my favorite games still reside on systems long since gone. But to each their own.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

Postby rathe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 am

Grr, I really want to get this but my xbox has been acting up lately. I wonder how much it costs to get an xbox fixed/replaced past warranty?

I heard summons are like in X but anyone can summon (note: didn't play much of xii....started too slow =\)
Snake-Aes wrote:Well... sometimes being obnoxious works.
http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bloodrathe&gn=Nidh%C3%B6gg
rathe
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 am

rathe wrote:Grr, I really want to get this but my xbox has been acting up lately. I wonder how much it costs to get an xbox fixed/replaced past warranty?

I heard summons are like in X but anyone can summon (note: didn't play much of xii....started too slow =\)

Summons I'm covering in part 3 of my hate-filled review. The basic thing is, they take about 5 minutes each, and do less damage in that time than your party set to auto-attack. It's disappointing to say the least.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 am

fudomyou wrote:Summons I'm covering in part 3 of my hate-filled review. The basic thing is, they take about 5 minutes each, and do less damage in that time than your party set to auto-attack. It's disappointing to say the least.

Has it really ever been anything different? I can't think of a Final Fantasy where I felt the summons dealt more damage for the time they took to execute. The only time I can think of where I would use a summon actively was summoning Hades against Ruby Weapon.
Talderas

Postby theckhd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:16 am

I'm a newbie in this department, as FFX was my first foray in to the Final Fantasy series. I really enjoyed it, to the point that it's one of my favorite RPGs. Nothing fancy, just a well-put-together story, with a decent combat system and fun gameplay.

I enjoyed FFX-2 as well, but I'll admit it wasn't as good as its precursor. But it wasn't terrible either, and it helped bridge the long-distance gap that my fiancee and I were dealing with at the time (as we were both playing through it, making it sort of a shared hobby from miles away).

I did go back and play FFVII, and while it was fun, the story really wasn't presented well. It made sense after a play-through and some research online, but between weak translations and not enough exposition, it was very difficult to follow the first time through.

I have FFVIII around here somewhere, but due to WoW I've never gotten past the first 15 minutes of the game.

I thought FFXII was good, but wasn't fond of the Gambit system. Realistically though, it gets very difficult to coordinate things while playing 3 characters in real time, so it's a necessary evil. I'd rather they went back to the turn-based system that FFX has, but that may be the turn-based strategy gamer in me talking.

Now I'm on the fence about XIII. I was going to pick it up, but I'm not sure when I'd find the time to play it right now. After reading your review, I think I'll probably hold off until later this summer.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum