Final Fantasy XIII

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Postby fudomyou » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:49 am

Talderas wrote:The game is designed to operate on normal speed using the auto commands. If you want to perform the actions manually, your better off slowing down the battle speed through the options menu.

Once you have Haste or the various Aspir abilities, everything about the speed of the game changes. The haste buff is insane in a game where the only resource is time.

Not that it changes strategy much - if I could have gotten a drinking bird to hit X for me at regular intervals, I would have.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Reminds me of several older PSX games where I would set my controller to turbo-X and just watch the game play itself.

WTB turbo function on XBox controllers.
Levantine

Postby Barristan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm enjoying FFXIII, XII I couldn't get in to at all. Didn't feel like a Final Fantasy to me in the least, found out later that it wasn't originally produced to be until late which makes sense. However, I can't tell if people are hating XIII because its so different or just because they don't like it. The Paradigm Shift system is a lot of fun, pretty interesting how one choice can change the entire fight. Party AI isn't as bright as I'd like it to be but it doesn't really hinder anything. The story starts off pretty confusing but slowly it starts to make more sense (especially if you bother to read the Datalog at all) later in the game.

I do find it amusing that people go on about how this game is so linear, especially compared to old Final Fantasy games. They were just as linear yet they gave you an illusion of branching options. There was always just one way to advance the story, any branching path given at any point didn't change where you'd eventually have to go. It might reward you with a chest or some experience but either way you're going to have to go from point A to B. There might have been towns or a world map to kill some time but it doesn't make a game any less linear. It seems to come down to people have a certain idea in mind what they think a Final Fantasy game should be or a favorite that they want the newest game to be like and then if it doesn't live up to that its a "terrible" game. This game isn't perfect but its still an enjoyable game.
Barristan

Postby Levantine » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

I hate all the characters. All of them. They make me angry. I want the bad guys to win. Also combat is dull. Push X/A to win lololol.
Levantine

Postby Nakama » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Personally, I'm with Barristan here. I like playing the game so far and, while I can understand some of the irritation with the gameplay, the Paradigm Shift part seems to make a lot of difference in how battles come out. Setting them up correctly and using them efficiently is important. I like that I don't have to try to find a billion different things like I was with Dragon Age (love that game too).

The one thing I would like is more options on what to develop via the Crystogenesis. I mean, so far, it's just "Max out current role, max out secondary role, get close on third role, map expands, rinse and repeat". The only choice I've had to make so far is going for an ability instead of a stat increase, only to get the points to come back and get that stat increase fairly shortly thereafter.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby fudomyou » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:24 pm

I do find it amusing that people go on about how this game is so linear, especially compared to old Final Fantasy games. They were just as linear yet they gave you an illusion of branching options. There was always just one way to advance the story, any branching path given at any point didn't change where you'd eventually have to go. It might reward you with a chest or some experience but either way you're going to have to go from point A to B. There might have been towns or a world map to kill some time but it doesn't make a game any less linear. It seems to come down to people have a certain idea in mind what they think a Final Fantasy game should be or a favorite that they want the newest game to be like and then if it doesn't live up to that its a "terrible" game. This game isn't perfect but its still an enjoyable game.

I don't think the linearity itself is a problem. I wrote that myself in my review. The problem is the relentlessness of it. The three modes of the game are cut scene, run forward, and fight, in some order. At no point in the game do yo have an opportunity to break that monotony - you can't talk to people, there is no concept of exploration, there is no mini-game to hunt down... there's just you and the straight line with enemies in the way.

Compare it to, say, being a BC Warlock against a never-ending series of Patchwerk fights. 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, loot, walk forward, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1...
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Barristan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:10 am

Compare it to, say, being a BC Warlock against a never-ending series of Patchwerk fights. 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, loot, walk forward, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1...

This made me laugh because I definitely spent all of BC raiding on a Warlock.

I actually read your rant(s) on MegaTokyo several days ago and I honestly disagree with a lot of it. Obviously it comes down to preference but certain parts it seemed like you were annoyed about things because other parts annoyed you (if that makes sense). Like the Crystarium, for instance... You made it sound so complicated and convoluted but from my perspective I found it to be a simplified Sphere Grid. I hated how in FFX backtracking to pick something up cost you something, even if it was just a fraction of moving forward, and having to collect the appropriate Spheres to level something up. With this I just pick which job/class I want to level and go for it.

I can understand the gripe about the story, it took about 15-17 hours for the story to start making sense (granted I opted not to read through the Datalog after the first 15 minutes). And while I agree with the Warlock comparison I do disagree that you can just brainlessly mash X and win, very rarely did I ever die on random encounters in other FF games but some of them are challenging(cheesy) and do require a bit of thought to get through. My only complaint about bosses (so far, haven't had to deal with the last one yet) is that they seem to think giving a boss retarded amounts of health makes it harder.

I definitely understand some of your complaints/rants about it but I can't claim its an awful/horrible game like some people think it is. It is definitely not as bad as XII, I find myself enjoying it quite a bit.

I hate all the characters. All of them. They make me angry. I want the bad guys to win. Also combat is dull. Push X/A to win lololol.

Welcome to menu-driven RPGs! You did the exact same thing in every other Final Fantasy; you pick the same spell out of the menu over and over each fight.
Barristan

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 am

I beg to differ. O: I had to push x TWICE to win with Squall. PS don't be such a douche, it's unbecoming.
Levantine

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 am

Levantine wrote:I beg to differ. O: I had to push x TWICE to win with Squall. PS don't be such a douche, it's unbecoming.

Don't forget pressing R1 at the right time to "trigger" and deal extra damage!
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:53 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
Levantine wrote:I beg to differ. O: I had to push x TWICE to win with Squall. PS don't be such a douche, it's unbecoming.

I didn't realize this until, like, my 4th play through.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:

I didn't realize this until, like, my 4th play through.

But... how? Quistis tells you how to do it before you even enter the Cave of Fire to get Ifrit!
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Quistis talks? I thought she was just the eyecandy. :O
Levantine

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Levantine wrote:Quistis talks? I thought she was just the eyecandy. :O

No, Rinoa was the eyecandy. Quistis was the "older mentor" type character, and Selphie was the younger, moe archetype.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I dunno, Quistis inspired a lot of my earlier teacher fantasies. I mean sure, she was a dude more often than not, but dayum.
Levantine

Postby Aubade » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:09 pm

My teacher fantasies were started by my 8th grade math teacher.

anyways.

I STILL haven't gotten a chance to play FFXIII Yet. You have no clue how pissed i am about this. (I have STARTED the game and played the first...10-15 minutes of it?) And so far the graphics do not dissapoint and I love that black dude. Sazh is it? WTB Chocobo pet. Anyways. I'll post more when I actually get to play it for a long time.

(Reason I haven't gotten to play it yet is I don't own a PS3 or Xbox360. So I'm playing it at a LAN center that my good friend owns, and I've just been too busy, and the 1 time I went in to play it (Friday) Someone was already using the PS3.....The good part about it is that I get to play it on a 60" Plasma with a new gen PS3 though. =D)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum