tattoo thread

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: tattoo thread

Postby Arcand » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:22 am

firstamendme wrote:Image

They hurt like hell when they got to my shoulder blade, but I was super skinny at the time (35lbs skinnier than I was in the picture). I am designing one to go below them in the middle now. So addicting.

What does the right one say? And what steps did you take to ensure
that it really says that? ;)
Arcand

Postby firstamendme » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:43 am

The right one isn't grammatically correct. I had a few different friends that knew kanji independantly help me to ensure it was correct. I chose kanji because I didn't want everyone to know what it said as both of my tattoos are personal. To me, if the grammar doesn't quite work as intended that is ok as it is more symbolic than anything else to begin with. Going on the theme of the twin snake ouroborous in the middle, the characters essentially say:

Love ____is_____Strength

is _____________ is

Life ____ is ____Passion

edit: Added underscores to space out the 'is'
firstamendme

Postby Arcand » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:03 am

Nifty.
Arcand

Postby Garov » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Make sure you eat that day!

I don't know where the hell I came up with it, but I thought it would be a good idea to not eat much food at all the day I got my ink.
I passed right out and almost tipped over 3 times while the guy was filling it. So glad the dude was cool. He laughed at my ass after he was done but he got a friend of his to sit in and talk to me to make sure I was awake while he finished it off.
Garov

Postby fafhrd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:22 pm

programmable tatoos need to be developed sooner >.>

*not because i'll want to untatoo later, but because my idea of what's cool changes approximately every 3 days*

edit: didn't i tell this story already? I have no tatoos. The closest i got was a gf and i almost getting the forehead symbols from the blame! manga on your foreheads. we chickened out though (and eventually broke up anyway), but as forehead symbols go, they were quite unobtrusive (basically 3-4 straight lines each).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Pala » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 pm

Njall, great to see another Commissioned comic fan. Obsidian himself has a bunch of tattoos and some of his art would even be awesome as a tattoo.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 pm

fafhrd wrote:programmable tatoos need to be developed sooner >.>

*not because i'll want to untatoo later, but because my idea of what's cool changes approximately every 3 days*

edit: didn't i tell this story already? I have no tatoos. The closest i got was a gf and i almost getting the forehead symbols from the blame! manga on your foreheads. we chickened out though (and eventually broke up anyway), but as forehead symbols go, they were quite unobtrusive (basically 3-4 straight lines each).

Again, part of the reason why you shouldn't get a tat just because it 'looks cool'
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Njall » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:35 am

Arnock wrote:Again, part of the reason why you shouldn't get a tat just because it 'looks cool'

...but they suck!
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Jetzy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I have 2 memorial tatooes,
one for Dad and one for Mom
ImageImage
Jetzy
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I must be a member of the minority. I got my tattoos because they looked fscking awesome in uniform (Underarms. Arms rolled up past elbows was/is standard desert fashion), still haven't had any regrets. :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 am

Arnock wrote:
fafhrd wrote:programmable tatoos need to be developed sooner >.>

Again, part of the reason why you shouldn't get a tat just because it 'looks cool'

There is some deeper meaning to getting stylized dragons on your chest or sharp squigly things on your lower back that I'm missing? Pretty sure a lot of the tatoos in this thread were gotten because they looked cool.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Arcand » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm

fafhrd wrote:There is some deeper meaning to getting stylized dragons on your chest or sharp squigly things on your lower back that I'm missing? Pretty sure a lot of the tatoos in this thread were gotten because they looked cool.

They help Yakuza clans to murder the correct people?
Arcand

Postby Joanadark » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm

I must be a member of the minority. I got my tattoos because they looked fscking awesome in uniform (Underarms. Arms rolled up past elbows was/is standard desert fashion), still haven't had any regrets. :)

our tattoo regs are pretty strict. we can't get anything anywhere that would be visible wearing short PT shorts and a t-shirt. Particularly if you want to be an officer one day or work as a guard at one of the embassies.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby phaqueue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:46 pm

fafhrd wrote:There is some deeper meaning to getting stylized dragons on your chest or sharp squigly things on your lower back that I'm missing? Pretty sure a lot of the tatoos in this thread were gotten because they looked cool.

Well... guess it depends - that dragon picture that "looks cool" to you might actually have some meaning to the person who got it...

Both my tattoos look cool - but they have a personal meaning to me - on my right arm I have an eagle and flag I got when I returned home from Boot Camp... I got those as a celebration of graduating basic training since that was a big step in my life...

The one on my left shoulder/arm (I posted the pic earlier in the thread) is a phoenix I got when I broke up with my fiancee of 5 years... This has a big meaning, the phoenix is generally used to symbolize new life, or rebirth, and after having been with someone for 5 years, and breaking up - it was somewhat a "new life" the first time since high school I was single, and the first time I had ever lived "alone" (or with a roommate, instead of someone I was involved with)

Yes, I think the phoenix looks cool - but it has a much deeper meaning to me. If I get something with meaning - I will come up with the idea, then make sure it looks cool as well - I think you should shoot for both, not just one or the other...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby fafhrd » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:49 pm

phaqueue wrote:

Well... guess it depends - that dragon picture that "looks cool" to you might actually have some meaning to the person who got it...

Both my tattoos look cool - but they have a personal meaning to me - on my right arm I have an eagle and flag I got when I returned home from Boot Camp... I got those as a celebration of graduating basic training since that was a big step in my life...

The one on my left shoulder/arm (I posted the pic earlier in the thread) is a phoenix I got when I broke up with my fiancee of 5 years... This has a big meaning, the phoenix is generally used to symbolize new life, or rebirth, and after having been with someone for 5 years, and breaking up - it was somewhat a "new life" the first time since high school I was single, and the first time I had ever lived "alone" (or with a roommate, instead of someone I was involved with)

Yes, I think the phoenix looks cool - but it has a much deeper meaning to me. If I get something with meaning - I will come up with the idea, then make sure it looks cool as well - I think you should shoot for both, not just one or the other...

If that's all that's necessary for a tatoo to have "meaning" then the forehead symbols from the manga would not be "just because it looks cool" either.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum