Create a raid boss.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Create a raid boss.

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:41 pm

I know that there was a thread on the boards where people had created raid bosses and posted them, but i couldn't seem to find the thread (I failed at searching).

I've been thinking about doing it a couple of times, but never could come up with anything. So I have had a lot of downtime today while backing up sites before the christmas rush, and figured I would try it.

This is the 10 man version of Iskalder, The Tormented Champion. He is the great white hope of the Vrykul race, who just ends up being a punk 5 man quest. My thought process was that after he is beaten, the Val'Kyr resurrect him, and he takes his place in that giant citadel on the western edge of Icecrown.

The fight would take place in a large throne room, with a hallway off to the left side. This is where the gauntlet takes place, and players will re-emerge from. You enter from the south of the Room, and have plenty of room inside the throne room to buff up without fear of aggroing the boss.

Part of me wonders if this is tuned appropriately for 10 man. With the way that he is setup, a 2 tank / 3 healer group would need 5281 DPS to down him at Berserk, while there is movement, and mechanics to deal with. I'm trying to base this off of post Icecrown Gearing.

I also went with a ridiculously slow swing timer, because I like the metronome feel to a fight like that.

Iskalder, The Tormented Champion.
15,840,320 HP
Berserk at 10 minutes

Melee - swing timer 4.0 Seconds ~35k swings Before Armor

Abilities:

Marked for Death (instant cast 20 second cooldown)- Only cast on Iskalder's Current Target. Cast upon aggro, and then every 20 seconds. Marked for Death increases Shadow Damage taken by 5%.

Bane of the Vrykul (Cleave) 60k Damage split between all targets in front of Iskalder. Applies a stack of Marked for Death on any target hit by it.

Vengeance of Death (3 second Cast 20 second cooldown) - A Shadow Bolt Volley for 12-16k Shadow Damage, each person hit by Vengeance of Death receives one stack of Marked for Death. Interruptible.

Fury of the Champion (instant cast 60 second cooldown) - Random target in raid, denoted by a mark. Damage/healing and Haste of the target and Iskalder is increased by 50% for 20 seconds. Will not be cast on current Iskalder's target. At the end of the 20 seconds, the target is killed and judged by the Val'kyr Ascendant. Starts the fight on cooldown, but will be cast EVERY 60 seconds. Uninterruptable

Darkness Consumes (instant Cast 20 second cooldown) - Iskalder targets a portion of the floor and purges the life from it. Anyone in the circle takes 3500 Shadow Damage / second. AoE lasts 20 seconds.

Val'kyr Ascendants.
While the fight is going on, Two Val'kyr Ascendants Fly above the arena (out of damage range) and cast Rain of Shadows (3k/sec, with slow) Projected Textures will show these.

When a player dies to Fury of the champion, they will be raised as a Vargul in a Tunnel. You will be given a set of 5 buttons, 3 attacks (Attack, Cleave, Knockback on CD), 2 defensive (Bone Shield / Stun) abilities with which to complete a small gauntlet of adds. If you live to make it to the end of the tunnel (and back to the arena) you are resurected and rejoin the fight as you were before. you have until Iskalder re-casts Fury of the Champion to make it out of the Guantlet. When Fury of the Champion is re-cast, anyone in the Gauntlet is killed.

When the Raid is ready, your tank will need to pull Iskalder. Iskalder is Immune to Taunt, and will attack the target with the greatest stack of Marked for Death on it. If no target has a stack of Marked for Death, Iskalder will aggro the nearest target to him.

Iskalder swings slow and hard. His attacks are predictable though, and outside of Marked for Death, his abilities share an ICD of 20 seconds. This is to ensure that he doesn't do something like Darkness Consumes + Vengeance of Death at the same time.

Iskalder is designed to be a two tank fight, but the second tank is more for soak than anythign else. I would assume that you could have multiple people in front of him to soak the cleave if you so chose. Keep in mind that this is a DPS race as well. Healing will need to watch out for players taking damage from Rain of Shadows.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts? Does this suck? Is it interesting? I know that a lot of it is old abilities reworked, I was trying my hand at using preexisting abilities before I tried to make something truly new.
Shoju

Re: Create a raid boss.

Postby phaqueue » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Some quick thoughts... doesn't seem tuned for 10 man - the cleave hits too hard for 2 tank setup IMO... I would drop it to 40-45k split for the tanks... or maybe less (just thinking koralon here - there are groups that have trouble healing 2 tank through ~12k dmg each from cleave)

I think you have too many timers... you have 3 timers to race against that fight; a berserk, the stacking "more damage to tank" debuff, and random people dying...

I think the berserk and the random deaths should be removed... although then you would have to change the gauntlet idea a bit... perhaps just make the people get teleported instead of being killed and having to fight through it?

all hypothetical - just some suggestions

Otherwise - looks like it would be a fun encounter... perhaps something like hardmode adding the berserk timer back in?

and I would say this could be 25 man easily with those stats if you were to make it 4 adds, with only 2 adds for 10 man (similar to the differences between anub 10/25)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Shoju » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 am

phaqueue wrote:Some quick thoughts... doesn't seem tuned for 10 man - the cleave hits too hard for 2 tank setup IMO... I would drop it to 40-45k split for the tanks... or maybe less (just thinking koralon here - there are groups that have trouble healing 2 tank through ~12k dmg each from cleave)

I think you have too many timers... you have 3 timers to race against that fight; a berserk, the stacking "more damage to tank" debuff, and random people dying...

I think the berserk and the random deaths should be removed... although then you would have to change the gauntlet idea a bit... perhaps just make the people get teleported instead of being killed and having to fight through it?

all hypothetical - just some suggestions

Otherwise - looks like it would be a fun encounter... perhaps something like hardmode adding the berserk timer back in?

and I would say this could be 25 man easily with those stats if you were to make it 4 adds, with only 2 adds for 10 man (similar to the differences between anub 10/25)

I should change the wording on when you get teleported to the gauntlet. I don't want it to be a death unless you don't make it through the gauntlet. I want to keep it as changing to a vargul because a healer could get teleported in there, and I don't want them to have to worry about damage dealing abilities that they wouldn't normally use in a raid. I will re-work that.

The 10 minute Berserk is the enrage timer. IF you can't get it down in 10 minutes, then that is it.

I'm going to re-work the numbers, and repost. Thanks for the input :)

Technically, you should only have 2 timers to worry about. With Shaman, Rogue, Mage, DK being able to interrupt, Vengeance of Death should be interrupted more often than not, even in 10 man. The idea is that only the tanks get hit with marked for death, and failing at interrupting it should be a cause for concern. This, I stole from Vezax, where you still have to interrupt.

I based the 60 second 'soft enrages' off of mimiron and Hodir which both have things that you have to coordinate cooldowns from the healer and tanks for. Plasma Blast, Frozen Blows, and the like.

I'm not trying to 'force' raids to 3 heal it, but in my mind, the 'before it is on farm team' is 2 tanks, and 3 healers.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 am

Iskalder, The Tormented Champion.
13,840,320 HP
Berserk at 10 minutes

Melee - swing timer 4.0 Seconds ~30k swings Before Armor

Abilities:

Marked for Death (instant cast 20 second cooldown)- Only cast on Iskalder's Current Target. Cast upon aggro, and then every 20 seconds. Marked for Death increases Shadow Damage taken by 5%.

Bane of the Vrykul (Cleave) Replaces normal swing. 45k Damage split between all targets in front of Iskalder. Applies a stack of Marked for Death on any target hit by it.

Vengeance of Death (3 second Cast 20 second cooldown) - A Shadow Bolt Volley for 12-16k Shadow Damage, each person hit by Vengeance of Death receives one stack of Marked for Death. Interruptible.

Fury of the Champion (instant cast 60 second cooldown) - Random target in raid, denoted by a mark. Damage/healing and Haste of the target and Iskalder is increased by 20% for 20 seconds. (expires at the end of 20 seconds) Will not be cast on current Iskalder's target. At the end of the 20 seconds, the target is judged by the Val'kyr Ascendant. Starts the fight on cooldown, but will be cast EVERY 60 seconds. Uninterruptable

Darkness Consumes (instant Cast 20 second cooldown) - Iskalder targets a portion of the floor and purges the life from it. Anyone in the circle takes 2000 Shadow Damage / second. AoE lasts 20 seconds.

Val'kyr Ascendants.
While the fight is going on, Two Val'kyr Ascendants Fly above the arena (out of damage range) and cast Rain of Shadows (2k/sec, with slow) Projected Textures will show these.

When a player is teleported due to Fury of the champion, they will be transformed into a Vargul and placed in the Tunnel. You will be given a set of 5 buttons, 3 attacks (Attack, Cleave, Knockback on CD), 2 defensive (Bone Shield / Stun) abilities with which to complete a small gauntlet of adds. If you live to make it to the end of the tunnel (and back to the arena) you exit the tunnel, are returned to normal and rejoin the fight. you have until Iskalder re-casts Fury of the Champion to make it out of the Guantlet (Should be able to be done in half that time). When Fury of the Champion is re-cast, anyone in the Gauntlet is killed.

When the Raid is ready, your tank will need to pull Iskalder. Iskalder is Immune to Taunt, and will attack the target with the greatest stack of Marked for Death on it. If no target has a stack of Marked for Death, Iskalder will aggro the nearest target to him.

Iskalder swings slow and hard. His attacks are predictable though, and outside of Marked for Death, his abilities share an ICD of 20 seconds. This is to ensure that he doesn't do something like Darkness Consumes + Vengeance of Death at the same time.

Iskalder is designed to be a two tank fight, but the second tank is more for soak than anythign else. I would assume that you could have multiple people in front of him to soak the cleave if you so chose. Keep in mind that this is a DPS race as well. Healing will need to watch out for players taking damage from Rain of Shadows.

-------------------------------
List of changes
-------------------------------

Lowered his HP by 2 million. With the AoE from both Iskalder (which I'm thinking about making a hard mode only ability) as well as the AoE from the Val'kyr, this softens the DPS requirement considerably per raider if you go with 5 DPS. Originally, I was thinking massive burn DPS check but not putting enough leeway for movement and teleports.

Lowered the Damage of the cleave.

Cleaned up the wording on Fury of the Champion. You don't die, you are transported and trasnformed. This will ensure that even healers can get transported and not fail.

Darkness consumes and Val'kyr AoE's have had damage reduced to allow some slack in not getting every Vengeance of Death interupted.

Also forgot that I changed the haste/damage buff every 60 seconds. 50% was a typo. That would be nigh unhealable even popping cooldowns I believe.

I want to keep the interrupts, and the AOE damage because I want it to be a Don't stand in the fire, Don't let him cast that, boss.

Part of why the numbers seem big is that I am basing this on being a post ICC 1 boss raid. With most of our good DPS hitting high 4's low 5k DPS on non gimmick fights, I would assume that we could hit low 4k's on a movement fight.
Last edited by Shoju on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoju

Postby Sanctity » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:04 am

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Thats the closest thing on this bored afaik, personnaly I'm working on a whole instance :roll: The most up to date version I've publicised is here:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/raid-dungeo ... servatory/
please do post in that thread with what you think!
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby phaqueue » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Reason I said there were 3 timers is that I was counting the "marked for death" as a timer... if you have it guaranteed to stack on the tank every 20 seconds, and the tank is taking any kind of shadow damage... that is a timer - eventually he will have enough stacks that he gets 1-shot - depending on gear level/raid comp and the shadow damage being taken - this could be a much shorter or much longer timer than your enrage at 10 minutes would allow...

similar to the timer you have on koralon or gruul - eventually he just deals unhealable damage or 1-shots the tank - and the fight ends...

looks like it would be a fun encounter though
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Arnock » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:10 pm

Raid boss would be a banshee, not creative enough to come up with a name right now

Possession
Upon Pull, the boss would possess a random raid member, doubling size, and increasing damage, healing, and health to acceptable raid boss levels, and the raid would engage this possessed person. The boss will change players periodically throughout the fight (mechanics of this switch detailed below). Whenever the boss changes players, she will retain the same % of health.

The battle of wills
Meanwhile, while the raid is fighting him, the possessed raid member will be phased out into a different area, where he/she would be alone with the raid boss, both of their HP levels would be increased/decreased to be at around 50k, and they will start off at 50% health.

when either the possessed or the boss takes damage, the other will be healed for the same amount, and whenever either one is healed, the other will lose health

For example, If I'm a rogue, and I take the boss to 25%, my health would be at 75%, and If I am a healer, and I heal myself to 60%, the boss will be at 40% and vise versa.

If the player reaches 100% health, the boss will stop possessing the player, and move to a different player, if the player dies, the boss will move to another player. For everyone killed in this matter, the boss will do gain a 10% damage increase when possessing different members, and gain a short term 15% damage bonus on top of that.

Final Battle

After the raid ends the possession phase by killing the possessed people, the boss will stop possessing, and engage the raid directly. At this point, the boss will not have an overly large health pool (probably equal to a 10/25m patchwerk) and will have fairly simple fight mechanics. Using these abilities

Shadow aura
Increases shadow damage taken by 5%, this increases by 5% every 10 seconds to a maximum of 200%

Shadowbolt volley (20 second cooldown)
Like it sounds, this will be an aoe shadow bolt, you cannot out-range this, and it cannot be partially resisted. The damage will start out at a manageable level, say a 3k hit, but will increase to dangerous levels as shadow aura stacks increase.

Mind control (randomly casted)
Basic 10 second mind control, undispellable, but it removes any applications of shadow aura

Drain Soul(25 second cooldown)
Deals shadow damage to the target, if the target is killed during this effect, the boss will regain 10% of it's health

This phase will pretty much be a dps race as you try to kill the boss before the shadow aura makes shadow bolt volleys too much for the healers to keep up with. No enrage timer
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Sanctity » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:13 am

Possible necro but meh, seems like the best place for this.

I've put up a new version of my raid The Grand Observatory on MMO-Champion
http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-dunge ... msg2638050

It currently has two bossses and I'm still updating but I expect to have the third done by the end of the weekend. I figure I'll post it here as my prior version recieved some interest and also because I have / will be borrowing ideas from this and other MTadin threads for my instance. :)

Please comment, prefferably on MMO to keep the thread bumped but I'll read here too.
Sanctity

Postby Aubade » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:47 am

GET YOUR WOW SHIT OUT OF MY ARKHAM ASYLUM!
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:56 am

Aubade wrote:GET YOUR WOW SHIT OUT OF MY ARKHAM ASYLUM!

So, can we make the Aubade boss that has an 18 second enrage timer?
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Sanctity » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:57 am

I didn't start the thread, I only bumped it! anyhow, I think given the amount of work I put into this I'm entitled to come to the Asylum with it :?

I'll look into calling something in my instance a variation on Aubade and giving it a short enrage :lol:
Sanctity

Postby theckhd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:10 am

Sanctity wrote:I'll look into calling something in my instance a variation on Aubade and giving it a short enrage :lol:

Just make the boss drop aggro and go to the fridge to get a snack every 18 seconds.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Shoju » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:43 am

It's the new World Raid Boss!

Aubade
20 meeeeeelllllion HP
18 second enrage
Melee 100k swings, 1.0 swing timer.
Immune to taunt, slowing effects, snare, and stun.

Aubade isn't tanked in the normal sense. You should have your highest cook in the range move into position and place a Fish Feast in front of them. Aubade will move to this spot and start to consume the fish feast. During this time, he makes no attacks. After 18 seconds, Aubade becomes enraged, and will walk towards the cook who placed the feast. If Aubade encounters a fish feast before he will stop and consume this feast for another 18 seconds.

The encounter is over when Aubade dies, or when he consumes 20 fish feasts. At 20 fish feasts, he will Emote "GET YOUR WOW SHIT OUT OF MY ASYLUM, gain frenzy, turn into a troll and proceed to wipe the raid.
Shoju

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:22 am

Shoju wrote:It's the new World Raid Boss!

Aubade
20 meeeeeelllllion HP
18 second enrage

Aubade isn't tanked in the normal sense. You should have your highest cook in the range move into position and place a Fish Feast in front of them. Aubade will move to this spot and start to consume the fish feast. During this time, he makes no attacks. After 18 seconds, Aubade becomes enraged, and will walk towards the cook who placed the feast. If Aubade encounters a fish feast before he will stop and consume this feast for another 18 seconds.

The encounter is over when Aubade dies, or when he consumes 20 fish feasts. At 20 fish feasts, he will Emote "GET YOUR WOW SHIT OUT OF MY ASYLUM, gain frenzy, turn into a troll and proceed to wipe the raid.

/Win

Could we add an effect like "If someone in your raid drops a pony keg he will pick it up and consume it which will then slow his movements / attacks?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Talderas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:41 am

Shoju wrote:It's the new World Raid Boss!

Aubade
20 meeeeeelllllion HP
18 second enrage

Aubade can also be tanked for 18 seconds by using a female character that is wearing no gear performing the /kiss emote or bowing. After 18 seconds, Aubade will enrage and start walking towards the last cook. A female character that has tanked Aubade cannot tank him for another two and a half minutes.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum