Remove Advertisements

It's 1 in the morning...

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: It's 1 in the morning...

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 am

I just find it funny that you decided to call it a portable tent. As opposed to a..... not.... portable tent?
Levantine

Postby Njall » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:39 am

Levantine wrote:I just find it funny that you decided to call it a portable tent. As opposed to a..... not.... portable tent?

Clearly, you've never worked in a field camp. Having had to set up Baker Tents and Bell Tents on more than one occasion I can say "Yeah. Some tents are not so portable." Though perhaps I should have said "play tent."
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 am

Njall wrote:Clearly, you've never worked in a field camp. Having had to set up Baker Tents and Bell Tents on more than one occasion I can say "Yeah. Some tents are not so portable." Though perhaps I should have said "play tent."

I would much rather setup a baker tent or bell tent than a 30ft ceremonial teepee.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Njall » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:56 am

This is the kind of tent that is set up over a dig site. It is, theoretically, portable and about 100' long. But then, I enjoyed my stint at Çatalhöyük. Even the bit with Ian Hodder. :D
Last edited by Njall on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 am

Njall wrote:This is the kind of tent that is set up over a dig site. It is, theoretically, portable and about 100' long. But then, I enjoyed my stint at Çatalhöyük.

That's not a bell/baker's tent. =X
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Njall » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 am

Talderas wrote:
Njall wrote:This is the kind of tent that is set up over a dig site. It is, theoretically, portable and about 100' long. But then, I enjoyed my stint at Çatalhöyük.

That's not a bell/baker's tent. =X

Nope. It's not. But that's the largest tent I've set up. If you want to play '30 foot teepee' games.... well...

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 am

Njall wrote:Nope. It's not. But that's the largest tent I've set up. If you want to play '30 foot teepee' games.... well...

To play that game we'd have to get into numbers of people and tools available to set it up.
Talderas

Postby Njall » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:07 am

There are a few people here you don't want to get into playing a game of 'been there, done that'. It's entirely possible that I might be one of them - especially when it gets to setting up camps in the middle of nowhere. Beornus has me beat though, but he's a squarebasher.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:17 am

Njall wrote:There are a few people here you don't want to get into playing a game of 'been there, done that'. It's entirely possible that I might be one of them - especially when it gets to setting up camps in the middle of nowhere. Beornus has me beat though, but he's a squarebasher.

Oh, I'm sure you have me beat in scope of setting up camps in the middle of nowhere. However, I am still curious as to what tools are used and how many people set it up.
Talderas

Postby Njall » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:23 am

Talderas wrote:
Njall wrote:There are a few people here you don't want to get into playing a game of 'been there, done that'. It's entirely possible that I might be one of them - especially when it gets to setting up camps in the middle of nowhere. Beornus has me beat though, but he's a squarebasher.

Oh, I'm sure you have me beat in scope of setting up camps in the middle of nowhere. However, I am still curious as to what tools are used and how many people set it up.

The one in Turkey? About 4 professionals and about 40 schmoes to take direction, mostly students and archaeologists plus some local villagers who wanted a bit of spare cash (and often worked as sifters or bearers or sorters during the Field Season) Took about a week or so. Setting up camp is one of those things that happens at the start of the season and is a real team building exercise. Not that fake HR crap. Ain't nothing like it other than digging a foxhole.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby ceela » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 am

It's 4 in the afternoon and I'm reading through the last hundred pages of the relationship thread rather than working, because doing code reviews is very. very. boring. and I have the motivation of a flattened badger at the moment.

The thread is making me :3 though so all's good.

(Also, hi, I don't post much)
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 am

Hi.

So It's not 1 AM But last night I was up from Midnight to 3 AM 'cuase I decided to start reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and couldn't put it down O.o.... I wonder how many of the things he says in that book are historically accurate. even so still pretty interesting.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 am

Aubade wrote:Hi.

So It's not 1 AM But last night I was up from Midnight to 3 AM 'cuase I decided to start reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and couldn't put it down O.o.... I wonder how many of the things he says in that book are historically accurate. even so still pretty interesting.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/D ... d/DanBrown
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 am

Ceela wrote:It's 4 in the afternoon and I'm reading through the last hundred pages of the relationship thread rather than working, because doing code reviews is very. very. boring. and I have the motivation of a flattened badger at the moment.

The thread is making me :3 though so all's good.

(Also, hi, I don't post much)

Hi. Welcome to my team. We're just finishing a sprint here and got to test it all.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ceela » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:33 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Hi. Welcome to my team. We're just finishing a sprint here and got to test it all.

Woo, I get a team!

Mm, testing, I'm not sure which sounds worse. Time for coffee and bleary-eyed staring at code again for me. On the other hand, my cat left a pipe cleaner in my boot for me to find when I got to work, which is oddly cheering.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum