Remove Advertisements

Aion Thread

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Aion Thread

Postby Lanicus » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:25 am

I couldn't find a clear and focused Aion thread yet. If it's out there, and I fail at searching, flame away.

Any maintankadins playing and actually enjoying this game? I was skeptical as hell when it was building in hype, but I decided to give it a fair shot, against my better judgement. Turns out I really like it -- a lot.

I have a ton of specifics I like about it, but I won't launch into those until I know whether or not others are actually interested in discussing the game and whether or not this is a duplicate thread.

Currently I'm a level 15 asmodean templar (the ONLY tank class) and I'm absolutely loving it.

Anyone else?
Lanicus

Re: Aion Thread

Postby Thalia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 am

Zomg I killed my first NM yesterday at level 3 lol, then I realized he spawned every 10 minutes.
Thalia

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 am

I don't play it, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on it who are playing it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Santcuff » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:16 am

Nikachelle wrote:I don't play it, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on it who are playing it.

same here and who knows from what people say i might give it a try when they come out with a free trial (unless they already have one, if so show me!)
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby antoine » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:22 am

No free trial as of yet, haven't heard anything about plans on it.

I'm loving it, 18 asmo templar. Aside from queues and the none stop WoW vs Aion bickering in game, everything else has been really refreshing for me.
antoine

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 am

I glanced very quickly at some information about this game... It seems to me there is ONE tank class and ONE healing class? Isn't that going to make for a LOT of dps characters?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby thegreatheed » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:59 am

antoine wrote:No free trial as of yet, haven't heard anything about plans on it.

Not a free trial per se, but there's a way to play on chinese servers. The chinese servers have about a 10 hour preview period, about 10 hours of free gameplay.

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/general ... guide.html

That guide gives click by click instructions to downloading the chinese client, selecting a server, and etc. It's gonna take a few hours to get setup, but if you're really intent on getting a free preview, it's something you can do right now.

I currently have a level 31 Elysean Chanter. I love the flow of combat, grouping and the gameplay. The chanter is a priest sub-class and has healing spells, but focuses on melee combat, debuffing the mob, and passive group buffs. I love the way melee combat flows. There isn't a GCD in Aion, the game has an autoattack feature, but the autoattacks are interrupted by combo abilities (special abilities) kind of like how old steady shot clipped hunter autoshot. The animation of the combo abilities has to fire before another combo can be activated, in a sense, the animation of combat IS the GCD. It gives melee dps a very rhythmic, steady, fun to watch pulse.

The game has polish. It's beautiful, and everything runs well with absolutely minimal bugs.

Many people decry the game as "too grindy". But they also, when pressed, admit they never run groups, or group quests, and have a very minimalistic questing style. Personally, I'm someone who kills some mobs on the way to and from a quest giver, and someone who enjoys grouping and killing hard mobs, just because. Because I'm willing to put a little extra effort into killing a few mobs, I have extra quests, and low level ones I've just not been able to finish. So, yes, in a technical sense, you have to grind a little bit, but it's not excessive or overbearing (like original AoC from 55-70).

PvP is meaningful. There's a large open PvP zone called the Abyss. In the abyss there's quests scattered from lvl 25-50. Also in the Abyss are fortresses and artifacts. The fortresses control "influence" and also control instances. If your faction doesn't own the fortress, you cannot enter that instance. The fortresses also can give faction wide powerful buffs (like 8% physical crit for 30 minutes, refreshable). The artifacts give buffs to aid in fortress sieging or general questing near it. Any activity in the Abyss gives Abyss points, like honor points, good towards server rankings, guild rankings, or gear. There's scattered world PvP in the outer questing zones through "rifts", temporary portals between each faction's questing zones, allowing crossover. The rifting is encouraged through Abyss points, rift quests, and overall fun :P

Crafting seems solid, and can provide great gear, but is chance based, and sometimes requires multiple combines to get the best quality results.

Overall, it'll be a solid game. It's as beautiful or more so than AoC, it has meaningful Pvp like Warhammer, and currently offers about 20 6 man instances (no pve raids yet, though there are a few outdoor raid bosses). In about 9 months since the release in Asia, it has 3.5 million subs. It had 400,000 NA/EU preorders. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
thegreatheed

Postby Santcuff » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:08 am

thegreatheed wrote:
antoine wrote:No free trial as of yet, haven't heard anything about plans on it.

Not a free trial per se, but there's a way to play on chinese servers. The chinese servers have about a 10 hour preview period, about 10 hours of free gameplay.

http://www.aionsource.com/forum/general ... guide.html

definatly going to check that out when i get home from school
Santcuff

Postby thegreatheed » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:18 am

Nikachelle wrote:I glanced very quickly at some information about this game... It seems to me there is ONE tank class and ONE healing class? Isn't that going to make for a LOT of dps characters?

Templars are the tank class. Clerics are the main healing class. Gladiators have limited off tanking abilities. Chanters have limited off healing abilities. Then you have 2 mage classes and 2 scout classes.

Overall there's 8 classes and 6 man groups. You take out the cleric and templar, and you have 6 dps for 4 slots. Mosts groups will try to get a chanter, for buffs. Honestly so far the game has been pretty balanced on forming groups. Something that helps is the PvP viability of templars and clerics in end game. Templars are great 1v1, and have a lot of combat control; Clerics have powerful heals, and even some CC, with fair dps.
thegreatheed

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:22 am

Haven't tried but I've read a lot about it. At least in EU the biggest problems seem to be 2h+ queues on every server. I think I'll wait a few months for things to quiet down before I go try it myself.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Xodra » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:31 am

hoho wrote:Haven't tried but I've read a lot about it. At least in EU the biggest problems seem to be 2h+ queues on every server. I think I'll wait a few months for things to quiet down before I go try it myself.

thats fixed, at least on the german servers...
Xodra

Postby Snickersnee » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 am

i really only play new mmo's if they have a trial. Because i don't want to pay for a full month and find out the first day wow this is bad. :/
Snickersnee

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 am

Xodra wrote:thats fixed, at least on the german servers...
Hm, when did they fix it? On some other forum I'm still seeing people complaining about not having been able to play the game this week because of the queues. I think someone said jamming something between keys to make your char keep jumping would be enough to not get DC'd, did they remove that aswell?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Santcuff » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:56 am

i couldnt get the chineese version to work, but ive been thinking about maybe buying... so server suggestions ne one?
Santcuff

Postby Lanicus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:22 am

My thoughts -- Aion is a well polished game with a lot of "nice-to-haves" that one can only get in WoW with Add-ons. It runs beautifully at the highest settings on my rig (top of the line about 1.5 yrs ago) and it's a very scenic world.

It has features the allow for a lot of convenience, like the ability to change channels. Channels are like shards of the same server, so let's say there's too many people killing quest mobs you need or camping an outdoor boss - simply swap over to a new channel and you have a whole new world to work with. Quest tracking is a great feature that works a lot like a built in questhelper without all the bugs and system overhead. You can also set up a personal store anywhere you want and go AFK - like your own little auction house.

Combat is a beautiful thing in Aion. The animations are smooth and well choreographed. As many have already mentioned, everything is built on skill chains -- so one skill will trigger another which has a chance to trigger another, etc. Just watching my templar smack things with his shield and destroy them with his sword is addictive.

Some people have mentioned a great deal of grind, but I've not come across that yet. There are plenty of quests to level you (at least through 20 -- I cannot answer after that) and leveling actually seems faster than WoW a bit. The crafting system looks a bit tedious as failures can be numerous and cause a loss of materials, but they do simplify gathering by only having one skill: collection -- which allows you to collect herbs, food, wood, ore, etc.

My biggest complaint about the game thus far is that the economy seems quite inflated. There are literally items that costs millions of kinah (the currency) on the high end. Of course money is very easy to come by -- my level 15 templar has 40k Kinah right now.

Overall it's a beautiful game and it's a wonderful change of pace from WoW. I expect this to be a game that is not a WoW killer, but certainly will take some WoW marketshare and find its own niche in the industry.
Lanicus

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum