Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:14 pm

What is the Australian way?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Lusei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:17 pm

It all comes down to the method of how its cooked.
Its different all over the world meaning the taste is different but that doesn't mean BBQ has to be covered in ash to say its BBQ'd.
I had a Venezuelan (Spelling?) BBQ once and the amount of different sauces actually put on the rocks during the BBQ was insane.
It tasted really nice.
Lusei

Postby Minnerva » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Panzerdin wrote:What is the Australian way?

I think the Australian way is murder the person with the food and cook it by the river as you dispose of the body.
Minnerva

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:48 pm

You are not funny, share cooking stuff/recipes or GTFO.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Viycktor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:02 pm

In America, BBQ is the leftover/crap/tough cuts of meat that were for the poor/slaves. (Lobster was like this once upon a time in the NE)
And they used magic to turn it into awesome.

I grew up in Texas, and while I've lived a number of places and appreciate a lot of different BBQ (SC for one), brisket and sausage (not ribs and pork) is what I think of when I hear BBQ. I can also do some amazing things with flank and skirt steak when the necessity arises.

BBQ:
I like a nice sliced smoked brisket sandwich with good slaw and potato salad and german sausage on the side. Fried okra needs no excuse, but this is as good a one as any.
For ME, dessert was always thick banana pudding (with Nilla wafers of course) but fresh fruit cobbler is also common.

In my current living environment, I'm unable to grill/smoke a brisket long enough to do it justice. So I gave up and did something entirely different (this isn't Texas, so I won't be tossed in jail). I basically made my tomato-based sauce (thin) with all the herbs/spices (including mustard and chipotles in adobo) and tossed it with the brisket in the slow cooker overnight just to make sure the meat was cooked through. Then I took out the meat and the sauce, reduced the sauce and tossed the meat on the grill long enough to give it a good edge.

The trick is to NOT overdo it in the slow cooker. You're just replacing those 8-10 hours in the smoker with 8-10 hours in a stone 'oven'. Too much heat or time will cause it to fall apart, which is bad in this case. And, of course, slice against the grain.
Viycktor

Postby Thalia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Viycktor wrote:In America, BBQ is the leftover/crap/tough cuts of meat that were for the poor/slaves. (Lobster was like this once upon a time in the NE)
And they used magic to turn it into awesome.

I thought that was creole or Cajun cooking?
Thalia

Postby Thalia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 pm

This is Aergis's favorite meal, and one of mine too. Was taught by my dad and it's very simple, best shrimp I've had in my life.

-Go to costco and get their big black shrimp, de-vained.
-Use 1 stick of butter for about a pound of shrimp, give or take as much butter as you want.
-Garlic Salt

So throw the stick of butter in a pan, also throw in all the shrimp, liberally season it with the garlic salt and stir. Have your temp around medium-high. Once the butter is melted, re stir, and if your shrimp are getting pink turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let the steam cook your shrimp, this ensures you don't over cook them, that makes them tough. Having tender shrimp is the best way to enjoy shrimp. Now get some steamed rice and put your shrimp on top and drizzle the rice with the liquids from the pan.

You eat it like this, get one shrimp, sucks the yummy garlicky butter juice out of the shell, take the shell off, eat shrimp and scoop some rice.

Ejoy.

Requires lots of finger licking.
Thalia

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Shrimp hates me.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:28 pm

So i almost forgot how much simple mac and cheese is good.

Mac and cheese with cut up hot dogs = love
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby mew » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 am

Thalia wrote:This is Aergis's favorite meal, and one of mine too. Was taught by my dad and it's very simple, best shrimp I've had in my life.

-Use 1 stick of butter for about a pound of shrimp, give or take as much butter as you want.
-Garlic Salt

So throw the stick of butter in a pan, also throw in all the shrimp, liberally season it with the garlic salt and stir. Have your temp around medium-high. Once the butter is melted, re stir, and if your shrimp are getting pink turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let the steam cook your shrimp, this ensures you don't over cook them, that makes them tough. Having tender shrimp is the best way to enjoy shrimp. Now get some steamed rice and put your shrimp on top and drizzle the rice with the liquids from the pan.

You eat it like this, get one shrimp, sucks the yummy garlicky butter juice out of the shell, take the shell off, eat shrimp and scoop some rice.

Ejoy.

That sounds so awesomely bad for you :( I'm wondering if mildly fried rice would work better? I do love steamed rice though.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Kathane » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:40 am

Mmm, cooking.

Made these last night:

Living in So Cal, grilling is a requirement of the repertoire, but I have a Weber Smokey Mountain for making real BBQ. On the grill, I'm mostly about chicken and pork chops, with a good burger thrown in here and there. In the kitchen itself, I bake, cook, fry, boil, etc.

The popularly re-requested items out of my kitchen include: Brisket Chili, Orgasmic Brownies (and their equally seductive younger sister, Orgas-mint Brownies), Sweet Potato Pecan crumble, Roasted Garlic and parmesan mashed potatoes, nachos, pulled pork, ribs, Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ sauce, cornbread stuffing, Black bottom pecan pie and others.

To paraphrase Vanifae paraphrasing the coloring kid; "I fucking love to cook!"
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Thalia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 am

mew wrote:
Thalia wrote:This is Aergis's favorite meal, and one of mine too. Was taught by my dad and it's very simple, best shrimp I've had in my life.

-Garlic Salt

Ejoy.

That sounds so awesomely bad for you :( I'm wondering if mildly fried rice would work better? I do love steamed rice though.

I know! I myself dont suck out the juice, the shrimp get the flavor really good so I just peal them first and put them on my rice and just eat it like that, but Mr. Aergis loves butttaaa
Thalia

Postby Arcand » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am

Panzerdin wrote:BBQ is exactly like baked, except that it's covered in Ash.

This sounds like you're doing something fundamentally different - I've never had ashy barbeque, on propane or charcoal. What kind of fire do you use?

And it's not like baked because you get higher surface temperatures which cause all kinds of moderately carcinogenic and thoroughly glorious chemicals to form on your meat.
Arcand

Postby Thalia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:20 am

I used to be so ignorant about BBQ, I used to think it was anything covered in BBQ sauce lol, So when I'd see places that said Korean BBQ I'd be like ewww Korean food with BBQ sauce. Then when I learned that BBQ is grilling I was like OOOO Korean BBQ, and I went and ate it then I was like "OMG THIS @HIT IS GOOD".
Thalia

Postby mew » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Thalia wrote:I used to be so ignorant about BBQ, I used to think it was anything covered in BBQ sauce lol, So when I'd see places that said Korean BBQ I'd be like ewww Korean food with BBQ sauce. Then when I learned that BBQ is grilling I was like OOOO Korean BBQ, and I went and ate it then I was like "OMG THIS @HIT IS GOOD".

I actually prefer my BBQ sauceless. It's kind of like steak in that good barbecue doesn't need extra flavoring. But barbecue sauce > steak sauce, so I use it a little but still prefer the taste of the meat itself.
ImageImage
mew

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum