Remove Advertisements

Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Thalia wrote:What about spaghetti, I know everyone has a different variation. Mine:

-one pound of Italian sausage
-sliced shitake mushrooms
-diced yellow onion
-sliced (in circles) zucchini
-shredded basil
-diced green bell pepper
-2 jars of Ragu super chunky mushroom sauce

So you brown the sausage in a large pan. Drain the fat if you want. Then throw in all the veggies, saute with some of the sausage fat, add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste. Saute til the veggies are soft then throw in the spaghetti sauce and simmer.

so yummy.

Oh man...Now you got me craving Zuppa Tuscana from the Olive Garden! It just so happens I managed to find a recipe for it on the internet that is really good. http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/ol ... scana.html
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby katraya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Cakes wrote:
I used a completely different recipe, but if you love cheese, these (Brie en Croute) things are awesome.

Oh, I make those too. I do it the super lazy way though:

Take wheel of brie and just scrape off a bit of the rind. NOT all then way through, I just kind of thin it since I am not a fan of rind.
Spread out a thing of crescent roll dough. make sure there aren't holes from where the dough is pre-cut. (Pizza dough can be used too)
Place wheel o' brie in center.
Spread raspberry (or your choice) jam on top.
Wrap dough up and over brie, making sure everything is sealed up.
Bake until golden and dough seems fully cooked.

Thalia - That recipe sounds awesome aside from the Ragu, ewww! I tend to do boring meat and sauce recipes but I have started throwing more veggies in. We have a few local sausage places here so we usually have a lot of it in the freezer. They also make amazing kielbasa, I'll never eat that Hellshire Farm crap again. We made it twice in the last few weeks with imported sauerkraut we got at the Polish Festival and we're now officially spoiled for life.

I'm starting to hate this thread in the love-hate way.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Cakes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Lore wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Alton Brown made some chili once where he used crushed tortilla chips instead of beans. I've always been curious to make it and see what it was like. Lore, get on it.

Alton Brown is my hero so I will have to try this. Though I'll probably still have the beans in there. Was that on Good Eats? I'll have to find the episode.

Yeah, it was on Good Eats, I really like that show. I had that episode DVR'd but it got purged when space got low, grr. For those that are interested, he did get into the history of chili a bit, and yeah beans were kind of a later add in. Originally it needed to be kind of easy to make, and beans would complicate that. Anyhow, it wasn't the lack of beans that surprised me, but it was the using of the tortilla chips that I didn't expect. He also made his own chili powder with a recipe a bit different than mine, but it looked quite good.

I'll add one of my favorites to the list. If you like a good cut of steak paired with a rich cheese and aren't concerned about your arteries being clogged, this is quite tasty...

Olive oil
2 beef tenderloin steaks -- you want them kind of small about 4in -5in in diameter and fairly thick
Season (rub) however you'd normally season your steaks, but don't marinade.
4 Refrigerated buttermilk biscuits -- Pillsbury makes some that are already portioned which makes this easier
1 egg

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola (or whatever you blueish cheese you like on your steak)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
About half of small jar/can of sliced mushrooms

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a skillet heat your oil over medium and add your seasoned steaks. You just want to sear the outside, so just about 2 min per side, so it has a bit of browning. Then remove them from heat and put on a room temperature plate.

Grease a cookie sheet (spray works great). Press out 2 of the biscuits into circles big enough to hold the steak. Put a steak on each biscuit, then roll out the other 2 biscuits into circles big enough to cover the steak. Cover the steaks with the last 2 biscuits and pinch the edges closed. Beat egg yolk and a touch of water with fork and then brush over top biscuits. Bake about 15 minutes or until the biscuits look done.

In a small saucepan, mix cheese, whipping cream and Worcestershire sauce and a little pepper (no salt here!). Heat just to boiling (don't let it reach a rolling boil) then drop the heat back to low. When the cheese is melted add in mushrooms. You need to keep an eye on this gravy and stir it often. Pour it on the steaks when they come out and serve.

This is very similar to how we finish our New York Steaks at the restaurant I work at, except we use a broiler so the cheese comes out with this awesome golden brown color on top of the steak.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes

Postby Thalia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Alton Brown is the foodie nerd god.

I am also very sad food network no longer shows Iron Chef Japan. I really don't like the US version quite as much. And yes I love Top Chef... though Padma as host seems really un-animated.
Thalia

Postby Sakiara » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:44 pm

I don't even like food.
mew wrote:Spoiler: People have different opinions
Sakiara

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Sakiara wrote:I don't even like food.

WTF!
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Sakiara wrote:I don't even like food.

WTF!

WTF²
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby sapientialb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:07 pm

We have a grocery store chain here in Florida called Publix that publishes these receipies called Apron Meals (also available online). They have a swivel display thingy with probably 8-10 receipies they change out like monthly or you can buy the whole book thing (or print lots of them from the intertubez). All and all they've turned out to be rather easy to make and pretty good. Though I have noticed if I make a week's worth of them I spend more on food, since a lot of the ingredients are fresh produce and stuff like various herb pastes that can be rather pricey.

Some of my favorites:

Cheese Stuffed Meatloves
http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/Main ... oupId=1001

Scallop Stir-Fry
http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/AllR ... oupId=1000

BBQ Baskets (recipie is for shredded pork but could use chicken or whatever)
http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/Main ... oupId=1003

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Viycktor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:55 pm

If you think it's tasty.

It's tastier fried.

But fry well, and fry carefully... do not entrust your frying to inexperienced teenagers who couldn't give a damn.
Viycktor

Postby Lusei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Vanifae wrote:How do you guys like your BBQ?

THE PROPER FUCKING WAY WITHOUT PUTTING IT IN THE FUCKING OVEN FIRST!
The next Brit I meet who says this is the way took BBQ I am going to beat in the ground.
I also use Volcanic Rock from New Zealand to grill on the BBQ, as for Marinade.. secret family recipe.
Lusei

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Why barbecue something that tastes perfectly good fried? If I wanted my food coated with ash, I'd cook it in a volcano.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Lusei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:59 pm

No wonder Britain has an obesity problem.
You have absolutley no taste in food.

BBQ > All
Lusei

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:09 pm

BBQ is exactly like baked, except that it's covered in Ash.

And I'm not obese. Not even close.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Lusei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:13 pm

No its not, whomever has cooked BBQ for you then needs lessons.
Send them to me and I'll teach them how to BBQ properly, the Australian way.
(Infact its the only thing Australian's do right)
Lusei

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum