Remove Advertisements

Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby mew » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:47 am

Arcand wrote:
Katraya wrote:Tonight will make up for it though. I'm making a huge batch of homemade Mac and Cheese which I serve with stewed tomatoes. Tomorrow I'll have yummy leftovers for lunch instead!

My family likes KD better than my made-from-scratch mac and cheese with tomatoes and seasoning salt on top.

That, sirs, is a kick in the nuts.

How do you do the tomatoes with it? I've always wanted to try making Mac and Cheese from scratch and tomatoes sound awesome to go with it.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Thalia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 am

Falibard wrote:I make an amazing turkey burger.

Share recipe please, I bought a bunch of ground turkey from costco.
Thalia

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 am

mew wrote:
Arcand wrote:
Katraya wrote:Tonight will make up for it though. I'm making a huge batch of homemade Mac and Cheese which I serve with stewed tomatoes. Tomorrow I'll have yummy leftovers for lunch instead!

My family likes KD better than my made-from-scratch mac and cheese with tomatoes and seasoning salt on top.

That, sirs, is a kick in the nuts.

How do you do the tomatoes with it? I've always wanted to try making Mac and Cheese from scratch and tomatoes sound awesome to go with it.

Cook macaroni, prepare cheese mixture (melt butter, stir in salt, pepper, flour until clumpy, add milk and grated cheese, stir until melted into mostly-homogeneous orange glory), put macaroni in casserole pan, pour cheese overtop, don't worry about stirring it in because it'll mix through on its own, slice tomatoes and lay them on top of macaroni, sprinkle on seasoning salt if desired, bake. Leave the lid off if you want it a little drier.

If you like the top to crisp up, the tomatoes just about rule that out. I usually like mine gooey so not an issue.

PS: Cleaning the cheese-mixture pan is a nontrivial exercise.
Arcand

Postby katraya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 am

Arcand wrote:
If you like the top to crisp up, the tomatoes just about rule that out. I usually like mine gooey so not an issue.

PS: Cleaning the cheese-mixture pan is a nontrivial exercise.

My boyfriend suggested I lay parchment paper in the bottom of the pan to make removal of the mac and cheese easier. I'll let you know how this works out. Generally I find if you soak the pan it isn't too hard to clean, but we want to cut it up into lots of leftover squares when we're done.

I put bread crumbs on top of mine and bake it uncovered, I like a bit of crunchiness. He actually suggested I put tomotoes in mine too (his grandmother makes it that way) but he got the "don't tell me how to make a dish from my childhood" look of death and didn't pursue it further.

Oh, and apparently deep frying leftover homemade Mac and Cheese is supposed to be amazing but I try to eat a wee bit sensibly.

Last night we had fried shrimp but usually we steam them. Some salt and a bunch of Old Bay and they're delicious and rather healthy.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:40 am

Katraya wrote:Oh, and apparently deep frying leftover homemade Mac and Cheese is supposed to be amazing but I try to eat a wee bit sensibly.

The Cheesecake Factory has a fried mac and cheese appetizer or side or something that has apparently become the new "This is the most unhealthy thing you can possibly eat at a restaurant" over things like the Outback's Bloomin' Onion.
I hear it's amazing though.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 am

Each time I eat Outback's Blooming Onion, I forgo 1 year of my future.

I never regret it.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Each time I eat Outback's Blooming Onion, I forgo 1 year of my future.

I never regret it.

Outback served me my first rib-eye steak a couple weeks ago.

I told Loralee, it's like a pretty tasty sirloin but without all the work of chewing.
Arcand

Postby Falibard » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 am

Thalia wrote:
Falibard wrote:I make an amazing turkey burger.

Share recipe please, I bought a bunch of ground turkey from costco.

I don't really have a recipe = / I kind of just get inspired by various spices I see.

Basically I mix everything in a bowl before I make the patties. Worcestershire sauce is always part of the mix as ground turkey tends to be rather dry and it helps give the meat a little moisture and a nice texture. I think the last time I just used some salt, pepper, garlic powder for flavor.

Edit: I typically grill most things, but these are best cooked on the stove with a little olive oil

Closest I could find to what I do:
Code: Select all
INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Dash salt
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
2 hamburger buns, split
2 lettuce leaves
2 slices tomato

I wouldn't use bread crumbs in a burger personally.
Last edited by Falibard on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falibard

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:35 am

I heard Applebee's quesadilla burger is the worst thing you can have.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Aubade » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:36 am

Isetnefret wrote:I heard Applebee's quesadilla burger is the worst thing you can have.

Mm Yeah, i tried one, it wasn't that great, and i LOVE quesadillas
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Thalia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 am

What about spaghetti, I know everyone has a different variation. Mine:

-one pound of Italian sausage
-sliced shitake mushrooms
-diced yellow onion
-sliced (in circles) zucchini
-shredded basil
-diced green bell pepper
-2 jars of Ragu super chunky mushroom sauce

So you brown the sausage in a large pan. Drain the fat if you want. Then throw in all the veggies, saute with some of the sausage fat, add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste. Saute til the veggies are soft then throw in the spaghetti sauce and simmer.

so yummy.
Thalia

Postby Cakes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:06 pm

We had a few friends over last night for dinner, and I made one of these:

I used a completely different recipe, but if you love cheese, these (Brie en Croute) things are awesome.
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Almonds and cranberries?

Almonds and candied cherries?
Arcand

Postby Falibard » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:12 pm

This thread is making me hunger. :?
Falibard

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Lore wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Alton Brown made some chili once where he used crushed tortilla chips instead of beans. I've always been curious to make it and see what it was like. Lore, get on it.

Alton Brown is my hero so I will have to try this. Though I'll probably still have the beans in there. Was that on Good Eats? I'll have to find the episode.

Yeah, it was on Good Eats, I really like that show. I had that episode DVR'd but it got purged when space got low, grr. For those that are interested, he did get into the history of chili a bit, and yeah beans were kind of a later add in. Originally it needed to be kind of easy to make, and beans would complicate that. Anyhow, it wasn't the lack of beans that surprised me, but it was the using of the tortilla chips that I didn't expect. He also made his own chili powder with a recipe a bit different than mine, but it looked quite good.

I'll add one of my favorites to the list. If you like a good cut of steak paired with a rich cheese and aren't concerned about your arteries being clogged, this is quite tasty...

Olive oil
2 beef tenderloin steaks -- you want them kind of small about 4in -5in in diameter and fairly thick
Season (rub) however you'd normally season your steaks, but don't marinade.
4 Refrigerated buttermilk biscuits -- Pillsbury makes some that are already portioned which makes this easier
1 egg

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola (or whatever you blueish cheese you like on your steak)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
About half of small jar/can of sliced mushrooms

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a skillet heat your oil over medium and add your seasoned steaks. You just want to sear the outside, so just about 2 min per side, so it has a bit of browning. Then remove them from heat and put on a room temperature plate.

Grease a cookie sheet (spray works great). Press out 2 of the biscuits into circles big enough to hold the steak. Put a steak on each biscuit, then roll out the other 2 biscuits into circles big enough to cover the steak. Cover the steaks with the last 2 biscuits and pinch the edges closed. Beat egg yolk and a touch of water with fork and then brush over top biscuits. Bake about 15 minutes or until the biscuits look done.

In a small saucepan, mix cheese, whipping cream and Worcestershire sauce and a little pepper (no salt here!). Heat just to boiling (don't let it reach a rolling boil) then drop the heat back to low. When the cheese is melted add in mushrooms. You need to keep an eye on this gravy and stir it often. Pour it on the steaks when they come out and serve.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum