Remove Advertisements

Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby aranil » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 am

Funny sammich story:
Made a whole turkey on sunday.
Monday is left over turkey day, so I pull out all the sandwich stuff. My sister looks at the bowl of carved turkey.
"How to I make a sandwich with this? Its not like, sliced like the stuff we normally use"
/facepalm. I tell her to shred it with her hands, and apperently I spourted another head.
User avatar
aranil
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: On the floor

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Palmela » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Since it seems the realms will never come up today I've been trolling the site. This page caught my eye, I love cooking I find it relaxing and there's always the bonus of having something good to eat after. I make a rosemary pork roast with some kind of chili peppers depending on whats growing at the house. Usually Habaneros because they are the hottest we have growing, anyways on to the recipe.

1/4 cup of rosemary
5-x garlic cloves, depending on how much you love garlic.
2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
I usually use 5 Habaneros, but 3 would cover it, or none if you're not a fan of spicy food.
2 Tbsp. Olive oil

Mix all of the above ingredients in a food processor and add olive oil until it becomes a thick paste.

I usually do this with a 3lb pork roast so if bigger add and small detract ingredients.

Butterfly the roast(cutting down the center somewhere preferably leaving the fatty end on the bottom as its hard to cut through and you can get the full butterfly, leave a small area so the two halves are connected), now you will have two halves. Cut a deep pocket in each half and spread the paste in each pocket and every other area inside and outside of the roast. Cook on a rotisserie for 20 min/lb or until the roast reaches 160 in the center.
Image
Image
Image
Palmela
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby JakeDaniels » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:43 am

I knew I remembered this thread =)

I was typing a recipe for my gf to make after work and i thought I'd share.


Chicken Enchiladas

Sauce:
1/4 c Flour
1/4 c oil
1/4 c chilli powder
4 c warm-hotish chicken broth
salt/pepper/onion/garlic/oregano/cumin -to taste

-Put oil in a sauce pan and heat
-add the flour and brown it (rue) don't burn it
-take it off the heat and add the chilli power (don't burn it)
-add the chicken broth (1-2 cups at a time) and wisk it
-wisk untill the sauce is thick enough stick to the back of a spoon but not too runny
-add the spices to taste. not too much salt due to the chicken broth
-let simmer for 20-30 minutes to sexify the flavors then taste it again
-add more spices if the sauce needs them


Tortillas:
-put oil in a pan. deep enough to go to the first knuckle on your finger.
-heat the oil till it is very hot. rolling hot
-place a tortilla in the oil maybe 5-10 seconds per side


Goodies:
16ish oz. shreaded cheese
1-2 cans chopped olives
1/2 c minced onion. (Optional)
-in a large bowl, combine everything


Assembly:
-on a tortilla, add shreaded chicken, then a little sauce, then the goodies
-roll up and place in a single row on a cookie sheet (i've noticed double stacks stick)
-top with more cheese/sauce
-bake 350F for 20-30 minutes. till the cheese melts
-
Image
User avatar
JakeDaniels
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:10 pm
Location: Left Coast

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Pallywhackr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Just made turkey meatballs for the first time tonight, pretty successful concoction!

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
2 t oregano
2 t basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and black pepper
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 1/2 C bread crumbs
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 C olive oil
1 T Butter

Mix turkey, onion, oregano, basil, garlic and salt and pepper. Add egg, bread crumbs and heavy cream. Roll meatballs to desired size. Heat a large pan and add oil and butter. Dust meatballs with some flour and brown them over medium-high heat.

You can finish them off by roasting them in the oven, I put them in an oven safe pot, covered them in canned tomato sauce and cooked them for about 45 mins at 375 degrees.

I ended up using two pounds of 97/3 ground turkey, as I didn't feel like splitting up and saving half a roll of meat. The original recipe called for 3 eggs and a full cup of heavy cream but 1 egg and 1/2 a cup of cream seemed to get the job done just fine. More then that and they'll probably be a sloppy mess. If you want to cut a little fat out (or you don't have access to heavy cream for some reason), I've heard you can substitute the cream for whatever milk you have in the refrigerator.
Pallywhackr
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:22 am

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Thalia » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Pallywhackr wrote:Just made turkey meatballs for the first time tonight, pretty successful concoction!

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
2 t oregano
2 t basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and black pepper
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 1/2 C bread crumbs
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 C olive oil
1 T Butter

Mix turkey, onion, oregano, basil, garlic and salt and pepper. Add egg, bread crumbs and heavy cream. Roll meatballs to desired size. Heat a large pan and add oil and butter. Dust meatballs with some flour and brown them over medium-high heat.

You can finish them off by roasting them in the oven, I put them in an oven safe pot, covered them in canned tomato sauce and cooked them for about 45 mins at 375 degrees.

I ended up using two pounds of 97/3 ground turkey, as I didn't feel like splitting up and saving half a roll of meat. The original recipe called for 3 eggs and a full cup of heavy cream but 1 egg and 1/2 a cup of cream seemed to get the job done just fine. More then that and they'll probably be a sloppy mess. If you want to cut a little fat out (or you don't have access to heavy cream for some reason), I've heard you can substitute the cream for whatever milk you have in the refrigerator.


Thanks, Been dying for a new ground turkey recipe!

This sounds delicious! Gonna try making it with a putanesca sauce though which is like tomato sauce but with capers and olives too!
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Pallywhackr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 am

I just watched an old episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown and he had a pretty basic "pantry friendly" tomato sauce recipe I think I'll try out the next time I make these.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pantry-friendly-tomato-sauce-recipe/index.html
Pallywhackr
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:22 am

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby katraya » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:50 am

I hate eating out for lunch during then work week. It gets expensive and most of the food isn't very healthy. However, I know if I bring in something that isn't tasty (frozen meals, PB&J)I'll end up running down to the cafeteria. Sometimes I try to make big meals that make good leftovers like lasagna or mac and cheese.

The last two days I have made myself some awesome wraps. I cook up chicken breast ahead of time and slice it up so they're quick and easy to make in the morning.

The "recipe" is:
Some sort of wrap or torilla
Greens (Lettuce, Spring mix, spinach)
Cooked, chopped chicken breast
Sliced tomato
Fresh Mozzarella slices
Fresh basil leaves

I throw all that in a wrap and then wrap foil around it. Right before I am going to eat it I throw some Balsamic on it.

Next week the mozz, tomato and basil are getting traded in for feta, cucumber and homemade tzatziki sauce.


Does anyone else have any great lunch tips for people stuck in offices?
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 am

Your lunch routine sounds a lot like mine. I usually bring leftovers and when it is chicken or steak that usually means a wrap. With no leftovers it's usually a sandwich with some fruit (particularly this time of year) on the side. I make fresh sandwich bread a few times a week, so the sandwiches are pretty enjoyable and healthy. Plus I can vary up the bread style a bit to stave off boredom. I've been really trying to avoid processed foods and preservatives as much as possible, and making my own bread has been a huge help, so when I "fall back" to a sandwich it's something I really enjoy.

Also, my bread maker makes jelly very easily. I'm not really much of a PB&J fan, but my kids are, and the homemade jelly along with the homemade bread makes me feel a lot better about them eating it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9639
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Thalia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 am

Aergis makes homemade Brioche...its soooo good.
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby katraya » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:36 pm

I made this last night and it was pretty good. Listing the recipe how I would do it next time.

Simplistic Eggplant Parmigiana
1 large eggplant cut into @ 3/4 inch slices (rounds)*
1 Can of diced tomatoes (mine had garlic other Italian herbs in it already)
4 cloves of garlic (depends on how garlicy you like stuff)
Fresh Mozzarella
Basil

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
Coat both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil and top with a bit of salt and pepper
Place on baking sheet and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender, flipping halfway through

Sauté garlic in olive oil
Add canned tomatoes
Cook while eggplant is baking, reduce it so it isn't too watery
I threw in a dash of red wine from a bottle my roommate had open but I don't think it was essential
Toss in some shredding basil just as it is finished

Remove tray with eggplant from oven
Top each eggplant with a few tablespoons of tomato sauce
Place thin slice of mozzarella on top
Return to oven until cheese is melted

This was really easy to make and quite yummy. Baking the eggplant rather than frying it also makes this dish a bit better for you than the usual version.


I am using the leftover sauce tonight with sausage, spinach and mushrooms. It kicked the pants off anything in a can and was really easy to make.

* I made this again Friday and it came out disappointingly bitter. Neither time did I pre-salt and wipe down the eggplant slices but I certainly will next time. I have no idea why it didn't effect it the first time.
Last edited by katraya on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby katraya » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:22 am

Made this last night for a dinner party and it was very tasty. Adpated from a recipe on The Wednesday Chef food blog

Chicken Roasted with Mustard
Serves 4

Small handful of chopped fresh tarragon
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 large cloves of garlic
2 TB olive oil
8 chicken thighs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter

1. Mix together garlic, mustard, olive oil, and tarragon. I usually do this at least an hour or more ahead of time so the flavors have time to mix together.

2. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

3. Rinse the chicken thigh and pat them dry. Season well with salt and pepper. Brush the mustard mixture over the skin side of each thigh to coat thinly. Lay the legs in a shallow baking dish, leaving space between them. Sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumbs and drizzle evenly with the melted butter.

3. Roast about 30 minutes or until the meat is very tender and the coating is crisp.



That mustard mixture is really good on potatoes too. I quarter small red or yellow potatoes, boil them until cooked 3/4 of the way through, toss them in the mustard and then roast them at a high heat until brown and crisp.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Thalia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 am

katraya wrote:I made this last night and it was pretty good. Listing the recipe how I would do it next time.

Simplistic Eggplant Parmigiana
1 large eggplant cut into @ 3/4 inch slices (rounds)*
1 Can of diced tomatoes (mine had garlic other Italian herbs in it already)
4 cloves of garlic (depends on how garlicy you like stuff)
Fresh Mozzarella
Basil

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
Coat both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil and top with a bit of salt and pepper
Place on baking sheet and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender, flipping halfway through

Sauté garlic in olive oil
Add canned tomatoes
Cook while eggplant is baking, reduce it so it isn't too watery
I threw in a dash of red wine from a bottle my roommate had open but I don't think it was essential
Toss in some shredding basil just as it is finished

Remove tray with eggplant from oven
Top each eggplant with a few tablespoons of tomato sauce
Place thin slice of mozzarella on top
Return to oven until cheese is melted

This was really easy to make and quite yummy. Baking the eggplant rather than frying it also makes this dish a bit better for you than the usual version.


I am using the leftover sauce tonight with sausage, spinach and mushrooms. It kicked the pants off anything in a can and was really easy to make.

* I made this again Friday and it came out disappointingly bitter. Neither time did I pre-salt and wipe down the eggplant slices but I certainly will next time. I have no idea why it didn't effect it the first time.


This sounds like a super healthy meal too. Imma use part skim mozzarella though.

I'm also thinking of adding zucchini rounds to it since I love that, maybe some roasted peppers too!

Thanks so much for the recipe and idea!
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Thalia wrote:Aergis makes homemade Brioche...its soooo good.


I demand this recipe.

This weekend I turned a $0.98 bag of four oranges into:
- candied orange peels
- orange syrup
- orange sorbet

Quarter oranges. Carefully remove peels. Quarter peels lengthwise. Put oranges and enough water to cover in pot. Heat water to boil. Discard water. Repeat 3-4 times (this removes the bitterness of the pith).

Bring 4.5 cups vanilla sugar + 1.5 cups sugar to 230-234 degrees.

Add peel. Simmer at 230 until rinds are translucent -- may take an hour.

Remove from syrup, allow to cool until you can handle them. Toss in (more) sugar. Allow to fully dry. May take several hours, except here in Phoenix where it took two minutes. Store in ziplock bag with leftover dusting sugar.

The remaining syrup will be orange infused. Good for iced tea, or for use with the sorbet recipe, There's likely to be enough pectin in the liquid that it'll turn into jelly once it cools. This is especially good spread on bread and toasted.

Sorbet: take the fruit, remove as much pith and seeds. Put in blender with 1/2 cup water. Blend. Strain out the juice -- hopefully you've got about 2 cups of liquid. Add 1/2 cup sugar (or leftover syrup), 1/2 cup honey. 1/8 cup mandarin orange vodka. Chill, then turn into sorbet with magic ice cream maker.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Yay lazyfood. One from when I was a broke college student:

You will need:

Hamburger buns.
Frozen chicken patties.
Jar of spaghetti sauce.
Mozzarella Cheese.

Heat oven, put patties on baking sheet, spoon some sauce on them, cover with cheese. Cook as directed. Put between bread. Enjoy.

For advanced users: broil the patties to brown the cheese a bit. Maillard reactions are for yum.

Of course, you probably won't finish the entire jar of sauce. What to do?

Use it instead of (or in conjunction with!) mayonnaise in sandwiches with sliced chicken or turkey. Possibly roast beef.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Pala » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 pm

katraya wrote:Made this last night for a dinner party and it was very tasty. Adpated from a recipe on The Wednesday Chef food blog

Chicken Roasted with Mustard
Serves 4

Small handful of chopped fresh tarragon
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 large cloves of garlic
2 TB olive oil
8 chicken thighs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter

1. Mix together garlic, mustard, olive oil, and tarragon. I usually do this at least an hour or more ahead of time so the flavors have time to mix together.

2. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.

3. Rinse the chicken thigh and pat them dry. Season well with salt and pepper. Brush the mustard mixture over the skin side of each thigh to coat thinly. Lay the legs in a shallow baking dish, leaving space between them. Sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumbs and drizzle evenly with the melted butter.

3. Roast about 30 minutes or until the meat is very tender and the coating is crisp.

That mustard mixture is really good on potatoes too. I quarter small red or yellow potatoes, boil them until cooked 3/4 of the way through, toss them in the mustard and then roast them at a high heat until brown and crisp.


A mustard mixture like this is really good on pork chops too. Earlier in the week I bought some semi-boneless pork ribs and I've been putting some pepper, salt, cayenne, and garlic powder on them. I put them on high heat in a pan to get a nice crust on each side and then toss them under the broiler for 8-10 minutes. It comes out with a delicious, almost burnt crust and nice and juicy cooked inside.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
User avatar
Pala
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest