Remove Advertisements

Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Aubade » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:39 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Had corned beef a couple days ago. Don't do cabbage.

I don't like cabbage so i wasn't planning on it. But my grandpa's girlfriend is cooking cabbage.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby mew » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:58 am

bldavis wrote:
Aubade wrote:
mew wrote:Daaayum. Let me know if those are actually good! I've made a beer and cream sauce to put over meat but I've never baked anything with booze in it.
A friend and I are doing corned beef and cabbage tonight. We just hope that the stores aren't all sold out of corned beef, seeing as how we are buying it at the last minute.

Haha, I'm doing corned beef and cabbage as well!

i think 90% of North America is doing corn beef and cabbage today

speaking of which, ill have a great lucnh tomorrow! corned beef sandwichs! (that is if i dont eat it all tonight! :oops:

I think most of North America goes out boozing instead. I bet up in New England though there are a lot more corned-beefers (down here in the south it's all about getting drunk off green dyed beer).
Food holidays are the best holidays.
ImageImage
mew

Postby mew » Mon May 10, 2010 7:12 am

I'm going to a party tomorrow that needs people to bring snacks, they already have desserts.
So I was wanting to make an appetizer type thing but can't think of anything good (I'm not very good at coming up with appetizers anyways).

It would have to be something that can be properly served at room temperature and easy to serve (individual servings would be nice). I don't want to make cheese dip.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Krazed » Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 am

Crackers, lunch meat slices, and or cheese, or anything veggie with ranch sauce.
Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live - Dream Theater
Krazed

Postby katraya » Mon May 10, 2010 7:55 am

mew wrote:I'm going to a party tomorrow that needs people to bring snacks, they already have desserts.
So I was wanting to make an appetizer type thing but can't think of anything good (I'm not very good at coming up with appetizers anyways).

It would have to be something that can be properly served at room temperature and easy to serve (individual servings would be nice). I don't want to make cheese dip.

Hummus, tabbouleh and pita - should be easy enough to buy and bring
Guacamole, salsa and chips - again, easy to pick up at the store or make your own
I make a pretty awesome black bean dip - just black beans, garlic, cumin and olive oil thrown in a food processor and then topped with feta to serve
Bruschetta is always yummy
You could also consider making a pasta salad

I recently fell in love with this cooking website:
http://www.saveur.com/

Nice ingredients but often simple preparations. You might find inspirations there.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shamora » Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am

Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby bldavis » Mon May 10, 2010 10:26 am

i really need to stop reading this when i havent eaten yet.... :evil:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby mew » Mon May 10, 2010 11:52 am

I guess what I meant by "I don't want to do cheese dip" is I don't want to do ____ + crackers. :( I love meat and cheese platters but I don't feel like doing that.
It's not a high class party or anything. It's just an anime club party, a "free food" university event. I think meat and cheese platter is in the right direction, but something a bit nicer.

What about spirals? I've never made them before and everyone loves cream cheese.
I am also now entertaining the idea of mini meat pies, I like this idea...

I might try making this for Vanifae some time :D
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Y ... udge-Icing
ImageImage
mew

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon May 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Bacon wrapped shrimp.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Mon May 10, 2010 12:20 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Bacon wrapped shrimp.

I'm planning on making that for dinner tomorrow night. So damn yummy.

Mew - how much time/money/effort are you willing to put into this?
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

katraya wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Bacon wrapped shrimp.

I'm planning on making that for dinner tomorrow night. So damn yummy.

Mew - how much time/money/effort are you willing to put into this?

I almost did bacon wrapped hot dogs covered in brown sugar, but those are really not good if they aren't warm :(

Haha, nothing super high. Going for a good mix of quality and quantity, leaning towards quantity.
I normally do cake balls for these things (make a cake, crumble it up, mix with frosting, make small balls, refrigerate, melt chocolate, dip in chocolate, refrigerate again, win), so about that much effort. Meat pies would be like the meat equivalent, make meat with seasonings and vegetables, shape crusts, put meat filling in crusts, fold over, bake, win. Meat pies are a lot better warm though, but room temperature is tasty too, but this might be because I just love meat pies...
ImageImage
mew

Postby mew » Mon May 17, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm on some sort of a pie high right now.
The meat pies last week were amazing, I did them with vegetables (carrots, potatoes, peppers, onions), cheese, and beef. I ended up having to make my own crust since Walmart didn't have any rolled crust for some reason. It ended up being a ton more work than I wanted to do, but it was worth it. Because I had so much filling (5 lbs of beef) and relatively little crust (8 pie crusts :V) I ended up making miniature meat pies using a cupcake sheet. These were adorable and great (just filled the cupcake thing with some crust, put filling in there, baked).

I'm making a chicken pot pie right now, I'll edit this later with how it turns out. I've never made one before, I just kind of cooked chicken, threw it in, added cream of celery soup and vegetables, covered it, and it's baking now. If it comes out tasty that would be wonderful because everything in it is really healthy (chicken breasts, vegetables, fat free condensed soup) except for the pie crust.
Edit: Pretty healthy chicken pot pie turned out amazing. Make sure to season it, I used seasoned breadcrumbs and I think that gave it a good flavor, but the cream of celery and vegetables give it a good flavor too.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Ruex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:42 am

Brutalicus wrote:Image

Bacon Explosion. It might just end you, but it's worth the risk. Google it. :)

I have made this and It is Delicious. My wife, myself and a Buddy of mine did it last summer. Very tasty. we had 2 pieces of it each, about 1" thick per. So about the size of a Fillet Mignon. Everything was fine until we each finished our last bite. Bacon Hangover... I had to go lay down. I am glad the couch was near buy.

I suggest everyone do it at least once. Seeing bacon basically woven into a textile still has not lost its novelty to me.
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 am

The shapes of those remind me enough of arterial walls that I think I'd hesitate to bite into one. :)
Arcand

Postby Ruex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:57 am

Arcand wrote:The shapes of those remind me enough of arterial walls that I think I'd hesitate to bite into one. :)

Pansy

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum