Remove Advertisements

Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:26 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Had delicious fried chicken and mashed potatoes last night. Wish I knew more ways to cook beef than "Stick it in a pan and wait for all the red to go away".

you make me cry Grehn, you ruin a perfectly good steak by making it leather?

Just because i have to smother my steaks in Garlic and toothpicks to keep Vampires away doesnt mean a thing!

actually, wat i do is ill do a dry rub of spice(garlic white pepper, sea salt, maybe some cumin if its for fajitas) and sear the meat in a cast iron skillet if you haveit, just turn it on med-hi flick water on the pan and when it sizzles its ready. just a dab of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) (or water ever you have, i just prefer EVOO) in the bottom, swirled around to cover the bottom in a light film of oil, set meat down in, wait 30sec, flip, 30 sec, move pan to another burner on low-med, cover.

this next part depends on how you like stek, i like mine actually med-rare (unless im eating in front of vegitarians but thats another story) so it takes about 3-5 min per side (depending on just how hot the pan is.

when the meat is done enough for you, or actually just before, pull the pan off the heat, and let it sit. the meat will relax, becoming more tender and juicy. but do not let it go cold, it will start to toughen up again. best plan is to sear the meat, get it simmering, and prepare your sides (depending on wat you are having oc) that way if its just like mashed potatoes, you can mash them while the meat is cooking, when you are done, the meat should be done.

eat, and enjoy! hope this helps a little :D

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 am

Vanifae wrote:How do you guys like your BBQ?

I prefer glazed with sauce, I am not a fan of dry rub...

I like both methods, but by far the best is glazed with a sticky sweet, yet tangy sauce that you cant help but lick off your fingeers!

WHERE HAS THIS THREAD BEEN HIDING!?

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:57 am

mew wrote:I thought medium well was brown all the way through and medium rare was pink in the middle?

:shock:

bldavis

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:04 am

Krazed wrote:
# 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
# 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
# 1 tablespoon kosher salt
# 1 tablespoon paprika
# 1 tablespoon garlic powder
# 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
# 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
# 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Thats a good rub. My Ex even liked it.

will be trying this when i get my finacial aid money on weds!

Krazed wrote:Vanifae if you want to eat healthier try looking into using bison in some spots instead of cow. Bison is said to be leaner than that of a cow and have about the same taste. However my father was not impressed by bison :(

it is close but nothing can ever take the palce of the Holy Cow (sorry couldnt resist +5 point to everyone who gets it)

bldavis

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 am

cakeftw wrote:Holy... There is a god, his name is knaughty

this

a hundrend thousand times this!

(sorry just now finally reading th thread!) bad idea at 3am when you had SOUP! (campells condensed )for dinner

bldavis

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:14 am

knaughty wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:That is some serious cast iron.

Cannot recommend this highly enough.
  1. Go to a kitchen supply store / restaurant supplier / warehouse. (Not an equipment store at a mall/shopping centre)
  2. Buy a set of cast iron frypans. Plain, uncoated cast iron. They weigh a ton, and are dirt cheap - like a few dollars a pan. Not enamel ones, they're super expensive and not as good for frying.
  3. Take home. Get hernia repaired.
  4. Wash and scrub pans. This is the only time you can ever use steel wool on them.
  5. Get the pans ridiculously hot, think "5 mins on a Wok burner on maximum"
  6. Oh, if you're using an electric cooktop, rip it out, throw it away and get gas. Or ignore cast-iron pans.
  7. Turn on extractor fan, turn off the heat
  8. Spray pan with olive oil from a pump-spray thing, or pour some in and spread it around with a tea towel you're willing to throw away afterwards.
  9. Coat entire pan, top and bottom, with olive oil. Do not burn yourself on slippery red-hot, really heavy cast iron pan. Do not set fire to kitchen.
  10. Feel free to turn wok burner back on once pan is well covered with oil. You do have the extractor fan on, right?
  11. Turn off smoke alarm that just went off.
  12. Pan + oil will go dark brown. Turn off, let cool.

OK, you've just seasoned the pan. It will be brown. We want it to end up being black. The black is some ferric oxide complex - the stuff you see on well used cast-iron machinery. Once you get the black coating, the pan is non-stick (better than teflon), non-reactive, and self-repairing. Basically the best possible frying surface. As I said, go look what commercial kitchens use. They'll pay hundreds of dollars for copper bowls, thousands for machinery.... and $2.50 for a cast iron frypan.

To get it from brown to matt black:
  1. Always put oil in the pan (or butter). Never use it dry. Cast iron is non-stick if you oil it, but almost as sticky as straight stainless steel if you don't.
  2. Plastic or wooden implements only! No metal spatulas!
  3. Not Dishwasher Safe!
  4. Never put it away wet.
  5. First few months, oil it lightly all over before you put it away.
  6. Never scrub with steel wool.
  7. No cream cleansers / gritty detergent etc. We're trying to form an oxide layer, not scrub it off.
  8. To clean mine, I just squirt in a little straight detergent, splash of hot water, scrub with scrubbing brush, rinse, then get it nice and hot on the stove to dry it out and to encourage the black oxide to form.

The matt-black coating is NOT burned food - as I said, it's a stable form of rust. It's non-toxic if you end up eating some, if you're worried.

KNUAGHTY! YOU ARE MY HERO!

thank you for making a guide on how to season cast iron, so many ppl screw it up.

bldavis

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:31 am

oops i didnt realize i posted this many timwes in a row, thats wat i get for reading the entire thread at once! :oops:

anyway, on to my contribution!

I got hungry for stuffed hash-browns the other day, but it was my turn to host the family for dinner, so i made breakfast. It turned out to be kind of a stuffed hash-brown casserole but oh so gooey and deliciouis (not really healthy but better then some stuff i eat! :twisted: )

Equipment:
one 9x13 in baking pan

Ingredients:
approx 3 lbs of potatoes( i like russets)
2 (8oz) packages of Cream cheese
1 baby loaf (2 1/2 lbs i think) of each
-Medium Chedder Cheese (Tillamok is GOD around here - West Coast of US)*
- Sharp Chedder
- Montery Jack
about 1 lb of Havarti

pre-heat oven to about 225 F (in hurry when i made this, dont know times or temps exactly)
Peel potatoes and shred,
Lightly fry potatoes (until barely golden)
Grease baking pan with a little oil, or butter.
layer in about 1/3 of the potatoes
start layering the cheese, yes all of it on the potatoes
add the rest of the potatoes, followed by a little S&P and drizzle some Olive Oil over the potaotes(to help get the golden color)

Bake for 10 min approx

serve adn enjoy!

makes a great family breakfast, the cheese is OH SO gooey and delicious!

*Vintage White Tillamok is HEAVEN! be it med, sharp or extra sharp, they are all good!

bldavis

Postby Gladia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 am

bldavis wrote:it is close but nothing can ever take the palce of the Holy Cow (sorry couldnt resist +5 point to everyone who gets it)

Har har har, only after cataclysm
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Awesome stuff on seasoning pans and so forth. (I thought soap was a no-no when dealing with cast iron?) I'll segue to something a bit easier. I used to make it pretty much every weekend... but it's been a while so I forget some details. ;)

6-Ingredient Pancakes

Tools:
Blender, griddle or large pan, scooping implement. (I prefer a 1/4 cup measuring cup.)

Place in the blender (recommended order):

3 eggs
1/4 cup flour (we use buckwheat or spelt, you can use whatever)
2 tbsp oil (I used olive)
2 tsp honey (The oil and honey might be only one tbsp and one tsp, I forget. I think it was two.)
1/4 tsp salt (basically a pinch or two)
1/2 tub Trader Joe's ricotta cheese. (I think that's one cup, but it may be two. Sorry for poor measures, I'm at work, and that's how I divide it when I'm cooking.)

Put on the lid, turn on the blender.

You can also add handfuls of blueberries or other fruit. If you do, it's easier to do while it's blending. You'll also want to consider adding another bit of flour (but not much) to keep the pancakes from being too watery... but that's purely to your taste. We tended to pretty much always put blueberries in them until the batter was quite purple. (Cooks more evenly than if you don't blend the berries too.)

Dish 'em out on a pan and cook. Getting the griddle hot enough that they cook evenly tends to require it to be hot enough that their bottoms get VERY brown ... but it's still fine to eat. I usually underestimate how hot I need to get the griddle and end up wasting my first half-dozen pancakes, so I recommend doubling this if you're cooking for more than two people. I should get a remote thermometer for finding out how hot it should be, heh.

Now, my wife uses a different pancake recipe that is fluffier (these are NOT fluffy), but these are still yummy, and it is hard to beat the ease of preparation.
Kelaan

Postby katraya » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 am

A friend of mine poasted this recipe on Facebook and I feel the need to share. They look amazing!

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 am

sweet mother of god!
they look scrumdiddlyumptious!

and perfect for st paddy's day!

bldavis

Postby mew » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:06 am

Daaayum. Let me know if those are actually good! I've made a beer and cream sauce to put over meat but I've never baked anything with booze in it.
A friend and I are doing corned beef and cabbage tonight. We just hope that the stores aren't all sold out of corned beef, seeing as how we are buying it at the last minute.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Aubade » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 am

mew wrote:Daaayum. Let me know if those are actually good! I've made a beer and cream sauce to put over meat but I've never baked anything with booze in it.
A friend and I are doing corned beef and cabbage tonight. We just hope that the stores aren't all sold out of corned beef, seeing as how we are buying it at the last minute.

Haha, I'm doing corned beef and cabbage as well!
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 am

Had corned beef a couple days ago. Don't do cabbage.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:39 am

Aubade wrote:
mew wrote:Daaayum. Let me know if those are actually good! I've made a beer and cream sauce to put over meat but I've never baked anything with booze in it.

Haha, I'm doing corned beef and cabbage as well!

i think 90% of North America is doing corn beef and cabbage today

speaking of which, ill have a great lucnh tomorrow! corned beef sandwichs! (that is if i dont eat it all tonight! :oops:

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum