Remove Advertisements

New Anime Season

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am

Just watch it, it's really good! It starts a bit slow, and is a 23 episode anime... but it really drags you in!

They also mention John Titor, CERN, the Large Hadron Collider, the famous IBM 5100, (and are actually plot points).

Like I said, it deals a lot with cause and effect and whatnot, really good for those that like time travelling/sci-fi stories.

Here's a bit of a summary by those manga websites

"Steins;Gate is a sci-fi series that explores the possibility, dangers and complications of time travel. The concept of cause and effect is featured prominently as the protagonist travels back in time numerous times to perform different actions in an attempt to alter what has happened in the future"

In fact, the last episode is supposed to air tomorrow.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 am

Correction, Steins;Gate is a 24 episode anime. Tomorrow is the 2nd to last episode.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm

So Nichijou is bat-shit crazy, amazingly adorable, and hilarious. I recommend it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Steins;Gate was an awesome series. I'd really recommend it.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Sabindeus wrote:So Nichijou is bat-shit crazy, amazingly adorable, and hilarious. I recommend it.

The way the three girls overreact to just about anything (particularly Mio) alone is enough to be worth watching.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Xenix » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Sabindeus wrote:So Nichijou is bat-shit crazy, amazingly adorable, and hilarious. I recommend it.

Heh - ironic, with that name (which was probably intended).
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 am

Xenix wrote:Heh - ironic, with that name (which was probably intended).

Indeed, that is the joke
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Petrus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 am

Having been sent here from the other thread explicitly to discuss anime:

I like Outlaw Star. I wish it were more than one season long.

I've watched very little anime beyond a few films and things like DB/DBZ. Stuff like Gundam, with multiple series, got really confusing when I tried to only see a handful of episodes. How do you guys keep that stuff straight?
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am

I dunno, its really hard for me to jump into an anime halfway thru its season, which is why I dont watch many tv shows either -- and with series with several spinoffs is even worse.

Just look for things that have themes you like -- like Steins;Gate is awesome for me because it's about casuality, the butterfly effect, time travel, string theory and the likes -- but because of its episode arc nature, you gotta watch it from the start or you'll be lost.

There are other anime that are more episodic, where you can watch episodes on basically whichever order you want without missing a beat, but with a general story arc basically in the background -- so you still feel the story move forward if you actually watch the series in order.

I'd say go to tvtropes.org and look at the anime section, and see which anime series deal with topics of interests.

Planetes if you like super-hard sci-fi (as in completely plausible) would be a good series.
Naoki Urusawa's Monster is really really good if you prefer a thriller, about a doctor who must hunt down a serial killer he feels responsible for letting loose on the world as a child.

Some shows have better plots/drama than actual tv series.
---
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Petrus wrote:Stuff like Gundam, with multiple series, got really confusing when I tried to only see a handful of episodes. How do you guys keep that stuff straight?

The Mega Franchises with several series and universes and whatnot are really the exception, rather than the rule, and some of these can be hard to break into. For people new to anime I usually recommend they avoid these at first, but it really depends on the person.

Personally, I tend to prefer series that are more self-contained. Most other shows tend to be packed into smaller, more manageable 12 or 26 episode chunks, with exceptionally popular series (or anime adaptations of exceptionally popular manga or light novel series) getting additional seasons.

There's a whole host of stuff being fan subbed and distributed via bit torrent -- my primary source is bakabt.com -- and it is relatively easy to grab entire series in chunks. I tend to wait to watch something until it's finished and packaged by a group. This lets us mainline it over a weekend if it's particularly good, and avoid wasting our time on series that fail spectacularly at the end, even if they seemed promising to start.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Petrus wrote:Having been sent here from the other thread explicitly to discuss anime:

I like Outlaw Star. I wish it were more than one season long.

I've watched very little anime beyond a few films and things like DB/DBZ. Stuff like Gundam, with multiple series, got really confusing when I tried to only see a handful of episodes. How do you guys keep that stuff straight?

So based on the titles you listed I am going to guess you enjoyed Toonami back in the day. The problem with watching on TV is, if you don't catch a series when it starts airing, and then watch it all the way through without missing an episode, you're fucked. The real key to enjoying a plot-based anime is not to watch it when it's on TV every so often but to obtain an entire series and watch it straight through from episode 1 to the end. It's easy to keep stuff straight when you're only watching one series at a time instead of 4 different series back to back with one episode per week.
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:39 am

I fall into the category of having started my anime stint via toonami and its predecessors, with a few exceptions (my Saturday morning cartoons included Sailor Moon, WAY back when...on the WB, but that was pre-Cartoon Network.)

That being said, I agree it's definitely easier to watch the episodes by obtaining a series (or DVR/Tivoing them from the beginning.)

Some anime I've watched that I enjoyed (no particular order):
Arc the Lad
Full Metal Alchemist (the original series, haven't watched the "remake")
Trinity Blood
Blue Seed
Neon Genesis: Evangelion (still need to get the movie, but bought the series)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Noir

Series that I've seen a few episodes/read bits of the manga and would like to eventually watch in full:
One Piece
Card Captors
Tsubasa
Magister Negi Magi

There are others, but those are ones I remember off the top of my head.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:47 am

I should say that FMA:Brotherhood is faithful to the manga, and in my opinion, many many times better than the first anime series
---
Klaudandus

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:58 am

Klaudandus wrote:I should say that FMA:Brotherhood is faithful to the manga, and in my opinion, many many times better than the first anime series

Ditto.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:03 am

I've heard different opinions about it, and honestly the only reason I haven't watched it is because I haven't taken the time to hunt for downloads.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum