New Anime Season

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Mon May 23, 2011 11:29 am

Klaudandus wrote:which makes me wonder if we will soon see the Gurren Lagann of the magical girl genre


Magical girl is a genre I usually don't go for, but oh man if someone did a magical girl show with TTGL's awesomeness I would watch it.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Mon May 23, 2011 11:29 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I watched Eden and the first movie and it really never came together for me; does the second movie pull it together?


Well, it certainly ends the story, that's for sure. Whether or not that does it for you is yet to be seen I guess!
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Fivelives » Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 am

Sabindeus wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:I watched Eden and the first movie and it really never came together for me; does the second movie pull it together?


Well, it certainly ends the story, that's for sure. Whether or not that does it for you is yet to be seen I guess!


I watched the series, but haven't seen the OVAs - the last episode ended it rather nicely, I thought.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3111
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 am

Fivelives wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:I watched Eden and the first movie and it really never came together for me; does the second movie pull it together?


Well, it certainly ends the story, that's for sure. Whether or not that does it for you is yet to be seen I guess!


I watched the series, but haven't seen the OVAs - the last episode ended it rather nicely, I thought.


Well it ended something but it certainly didn't end the story.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Fivelives » Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 am

It was a nice ending. The "bad guys" got beaten (when they moved the operator and sent the empty champagne bottle), and the good guy made the best decision ever.

That last line was one hell of a note to leave off the whole thing on! Now that I know the OVAs exist, I'll have to watch them - but I have to admit, I'm kind of worried. It's rare that an anime series (for me at least) ends on anything less than a head-scratching WTF moment, and Eden managed to tell the entire story of the protagonist(s?) quite nicely.

Now, I could see an OVA about the supporter hunting down the losing selecao, but the main plot arc was tied up neatly with a pink bow on it.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3111
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 31, 2011 12:44 pm

Fivelives wrote:but the main plot arc was tied up neatly with a pink bow on it.


:/

I dunno I mean I agree that it was an ending I just don't think I could accept it as the ending. If you see what I'm getting at here. Like the plot was left largely unresolved even if you could say that the characters' roles in it were.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Fivelives » Tue May 31, 2011 1:31 pm

I read the wiki page on the OVAs, and apparently it's still about the same characters from the series - that plotline (for me) was resolved at the end of the series. I think it would've been better if the OVAs were about the supporter hunting down the selecaos that "lost" the game - with maybe a side-note (or a news snippet) about Takizawa actually getting crowned prince of Japan and marrying what's-her-name.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3111
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Fivelives wrote:I read the wiki page on the OVAs, and apparently it's still about the same characters from the series - that plotline (for me) was resolved at the end of the series. I think it would've been better if the OVAs were about the supporter hunting down the selecaos that "lost" the game - with maybe a side-note (or a news snippet) about Takizawa actually getting crowned prince of Japan and marrying what's-her-name.


It is about the characters, I was just saying you COULD make the argument that their story was done at the end of the Tv series. I wouldn't agree with it, but I could see it.

I think what actually happened in the movies, keeping the investment in the existing characters that they had been building, was better. But I won't say more than that, just that you should go watch them.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby fudomyou » Tue May 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Not quite related to the new anime season.

But God, being part of the anime scene makes you feel old fast. I helped run Fanime this weekend and realized that I've been staffing conventions longer than 50% of the attendees have been alive. :/

On the plus side, one of the Macross Frontier key animators stuck his tongue down my (male) friend's throat, and pictures exist. So I figure I can get some sketches out of that one.
User avatar
fudomyou
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 31, 2011 3:20 pm

fudomyou wrote:Not quite related to the new anime season.

But God, being part of the anime scene makes you feel old fast. I helped run Fanime this weekend and realized that I've been staffing conventions longer than 50% of the attendees have been alive. :/



haha, that is definitely something me and my friends comment on at Otakon every year. Like
"Oh snap that is a nice costume"
"yeah a nice costume that will send you straight to jail"
" :( "
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby fudomyou » Tue May 31, 2011 4:01 pm

I sympathize. The entire staff of the Fanime maid cafe has decided to call me big brother. It makes me feel like a creeper.

Back on topic! Summer season's lurking around the corner, but I'm super sad about the prospect of spring ending. Survivor's Guilt: The Anime (Anohana), Kaminomi, and Tiger and Bunny have all been consistently entertaining, and it's been a long time since I enjoyed this many shows in a single season.
User avatar
fudomyou
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm

fudomyou wrote:I sympathize. The entire staff of the Fanime maid cafe has decided to call me big brother. It makes me feel like a creeper.


roflrofl
Back on topic! Summer season's lurking around the corner, but I'm super sad about the prospect of spring ending. Survivor's Guilt: The Anime (Anohana), Kaminomi, and Tiger and Bunny have all been consistently entertaining, and it's been a long time since I enjoyed this many shows in a single season.


Yeah I do loves me my kaminomi. Hopefully it will continue but I won't hold my breath. Is Tiger and Bunny worth getting into?
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby fudomyou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

Sabindeus wrote:Yeah I do loves me my kaminomi. Hopefully it will continue but I won't hold my breath. Is Tiger and Bunny worth getting into?


They're staying at 12-episode seasons for a while. So, we'll have to wait for season 3 after some between-arc eps and the Jun arc.

Tiger and Bunny is a pretty interesting take on the superhero/powersuit genre. Its overt commercialism is a great platform for the idealistic battles of cynical capitalists versus wishy-washy idealists versus Nietzschean superiority complexes. You should try an episode for size - the 3D animation isn't great, and a couple episodes drag, but the actual story is pretty awesome.
User avatar
fudomyou
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:42 am

fudomyou wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Yeah I do loves me my kaminomi. Hopefully it will continue but I won't hold my breath. Is Tiger and Bunny worth getting into?


They're staying at 12-episode seasons for a while. So, we'll have to wait for season 3 after some between-arc eps and the Jun arc.


Yeah the question was, are they going to do a 3rd season? I hope so. I would also love to see it turn into a weekly and catch up with the manga, but you know, wishful thinking.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby fudomyou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 am

Sabindeus wrote:Yeah the question was, are they going to do a 3rd season? I hope so. I would also love to see it turn into a weekly and catch up with the manga, but you know, wishful thinking.


It's pretty much a given that they'll be doing Kaminomi until they're done. Kaminomi is one of the few Sunday properties with a currently running anime (with the usual Meitantei Conan exception) and its massive popularity and profitability mean it's a keeper.
User avatar
fudomyou
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest