Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Sabindeus wrote:oh god the queues they burnses us

I've got to think there's still a massive amount of people not playing too. They need to get on top of this, and locking down servers isn't a very good answer at this point.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Chanticleer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm

You guys are making me scared not to log out.

That, and I think Qyzen Fess would kill my dreams with those talons of his.
Chanticleer

Postby amh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Chanticleer wrote:Everything I've read tells of ridiculously broken slicing.

Yes, yes it is. 48k credits at level 19, skill level 141. Enjoying it while it lasts. :]
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Why am I not seeing a flood of screenshots in this thread.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 pm

fafhrd wrote:Why am I not seeing a flood of screenshots in this thread.
Sadly, even at almost 10:00PM there's nothing I can show...
Attachments
swtor_queues.png
swtor_queues.png (307 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby fafhrd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Ouch.

Still, my first ToR screenshot, does not look ugly so far.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Arnock » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:03 pm

ouch, at least I haven't been in a queue longer than 150 on juyo, I hope they're going to do something about these queues, the game hasn't even launched to non-preorders yet. =/
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby econ21 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Anyone else finding playing a Jedi Guardian/Sith Juggernaut and feeling a little "squishy"? Levelling, I don't feel like a "tank" at all: more like a fighter mage from DnD. At level 24 still on Tarnis, I overlevel the content a little (quests are green). But most trash fights (with a strong enemy in the pack), I am left at around 33% health. I tend to meditate to heal after combat every second or third fight. Boss fights, I feel I have to fight close to optimally (blow cooldowns, heal, maximise my dps) to prevail. I think I have pretty good gear and understand my abilities/talent/"rotation" pretty well. I am not sure what's going on.

It may just be that the difficulty level is pitched correctly. It feels just right: I have to play well to get through. It reminds me a little of solo questing a guardian through Moria in LOTRO: tough but rewarding. But if so, I wonder how some other players will cope who have less levels/gear/research.

It may be something's wrong with my companion (Kira) - should I be micromanaging her? I just let her do her thing. My son has a BH tank with the starter healer companion and was surprised to see my health bar drop so much while levelling.

Or it may be the class is a little underpowered.

I guess WoW tankadins have spoiled me, with all their self-healing and the generally nerfed levelling content.
econ21

Postby Gracerath » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Mask of Nihilus hasn't been TOO brutal, but 30min queues are the norm. My worst so far was in line at #400 for ~35mins. There are some on that list that are closer to 2 hours. Insane. We have several people in our guild that crash fairly regularly and end up back in the queue. I'd probably rage a bit (or a lot) if I had to wait 2 hours only to crash and come back to another 2 hour queue. Actually, I'd change servers as soon as I could.

What do you guys think of the space combat? I think it is decent fun. All the starter missions are what, 3-4 minutes in duration at most? I was hoping it would be a little more free roaming instead of on rails but that isn't a terrible thing for me. Even if you don't particularly like it, it was about 30 mins worth of flying for an entire level (went from 18 to 19) so doing the beginning missions is great for some quick exp. Personally I hope it gets fleshed out a bit more to be more involved, less on rails, and actually end up requiring some skill and strategy. I rather enjoyed the SWG space combat. I wish they had a similar model to that in TOR.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:02 pm

econ21 wrote:Anyone else finding playing a Jedi Guardian/Sith Juggernaut and feeling a little "squishy"? Levelling, I don't feel like a "tank" at all: more like a fighter mage from DnD. At level 24 still on Tarnis, I overlevel the content a little (quests are green). But most trash fights (with a strong enemy in the pack), I am left at around 33% health. I tend to meditate to heal after combat every second or third fight. Boss fights, I feel I have to fight close to optimally (blow cooldowns, heal, maximise my dps) to prevail. I think I have pretty good gear and understand my abilities/talent/"rotation" pretty well. I am not sure what's going on.

It may just be that the difficulty level is pitched correctly. It feels just right: I have to play well to get through. It reminds me a little of solo questing a guardian through Moria in LOTRO: tough but rewarding. But if so, I wonder how some other players will cope who have less levels/gear/research.

It may be something's wrong with my companion (Kira) - should I be micromanaging her? I just let her do her thing. My son has a BH tank with the starter healer companion and was surprised to see my health bar drop so much while levelling.

Or it may be the class is a little underpowered.

I guess WoW tankadins have spoiled me, with all their self-healing and the generally nerfed levelling content.

Have you tried using your droid healer companion instead? I'm not sure how he stacks up since he has no combat abilities at all. I haven't used him for anything except crew skills.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Gracerath wrote:Mask of Nihilus hasn't been TOO brutal, but 30min queues are the norm. My worst so far was in line at #400 for ~35mins. There are some on that list that are closer to 2 hours. Insane. We have several people in our guild that crash fairly regularly and end up back in the queue. I'd probably rage a bit (or a lot) if I had to wait 2 hours only to crash and come back to another 2 hour queue. Actually, I'd change servers as soon as I could.

What do you guys think of the space combat? I think it is decent fun. All the starter missions are what, 3-4 minutes in duration at most? I was hoping it would be a little more free roaming instead of on rails but that isn't a terrible thing for me. Even if you don't particularly like it, it was about 30 mins worth of flying for an entire level (went from 18 to 19) so doing the beginning missions is great for some quick exp. Personally I hope it gets fleshed out a bit more to be more involved, less on rails, and actually end up requiring some skill and strategy. I rather enjoyed the SWG space combat. I wish they had a similar model to that in TOR.

The fact that it is on rails totally kills it for me. It's nice that the exp is worth it, but it's not very interesting. It's less interactive then the "on rails" stuff we had back in TBC.

Gracerath wrote:Have you tried using your droid healer companion instead? I'm not sure how he stacks up since he has no combat abilities at all. I haven't used him for anything except crew skills.

In beta he was terrible not worth trading over a non healer.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby cerwillis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:13 pm

I've got my guild up and running on Shii-Cho Empire. Whisper me on Turbo or Evilan in game or PM me here if you would like to join us.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:40 am

My Sage is now up lvl 20, and we're managing fine on most missions, even heroics with my wife's Sentinel. I have yet to play a tank or with one (we did all our missions/flashpoints with my big green lizard or her little droid as tank) so I can't tell if it's that squichy or not.

Space combat was surprisingly tough to begin with when you don't have any upgrades, but I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Then again, I've been a starfox fan through and through, and I keep barrel rolling without reason :-p
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby crazyharry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:52 am

Got my trooper to 26 last night, I was initially dubious about the trooper but now I am into the story and loving it.
Unfortunately its going to be a week till I can play again.

Hopefully in that time the Republic on Hex Droid can learn how to PVP, warzone win/lose ratio over the weekend was abysmal. the people in the WZs that were somehow level 13 - 15 without picking their AC were not helping.

Loving the game over all, I like the space combat. I didnt get this game as a space sim so i have no problems with it being a little on rails diversion.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Doz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 am

[/swtor frustration] Uhg to not being able to decide / not knowing which server to play on. My preference before release was for a republic pve server, probably as a trooper/healer. My present WoW guild decided to play on empire pvp server, I joined them there and rolled a bounty hunter up to about 18, still not sure about it. I wanted to check out the other side so I started up a trooper on the shii-cho server, republic pve, up to lvl 16 or 17 iirc. I really enjoyed leveling republic. Then I hear from some former WoW guildies, who I really wanted to play with, they are rolling on shadowlands, empire pve. So I head over there, roll up an agent to lvl 11, decide I don't like it as much, so switch back to BH, and lvl to 11 - but I don't think any of them had early access because none of them are there yet, which makes me afraid they might switch servers and I'll have to do it all over again.
Upside is I can now lvl a BH off of Hutta in like 2 hours since I know where everything is and can skip most dialogue hehe.
Doz

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games