Champions Online

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Champions Online

Postby fafhrd » Sun May 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Hm.

Videos linked don't seem to do anything for me :( Pretty, but watching WoW with the UI hidden doesn't tell you anything about gameplay, so don't expect this is representative of anything either.

How does a player spend his day in this, what are raids/guilds like, how do you progress your character, is there room for specialization instead of "bring-the-player" etc?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Ilara » Sun May 24, 2009 8:48 pm

still closed beta, so I don't have a lot of answers for you.

hmm seems the forum link I put down didn't stay to what I had it as. odd. fixt now...

anyway heres a few things I found;

How will missions be handed out in game? Will we get them from contacts scattered all over Millennium City or will we discovered them as we patrol the city? (Creoleman)

Arkayne: There are a variety of ways to acquire missions, Creoleman! There are all manner of legal authorities, fellow heroes, etc. that are around "hotspot" areas around the Champions Universe looking for a hero to help them out with their problems. There are "crime computers" and holographic terminals found in certain areas of the game. Sometimes players will encounter victims desperately in need of rescue out in hostile environments. Heroes can find "clue items" on defeated foes that open up new missions. There are also "exploration missions" that are automatically added based on the hero's presence in an area. In short – there's plenty of ways for a hero to get involved!

How absorbing will the missions be? E.g when rescuing a kidnapped victim, will there be a police team waiting outside the building with flashing lights waiting for you to go in? (Symbea)

Arkayne: It's going to vary throughout the game, but we're trying to make our missions as absorbing as possible given a predominantly persistent world with custom instances. When you're helping the super-science Project Greenskin base under attack by radioactive mutants you'll see guards shouting orders and firing on the attacking creatures while you repair the auto-turrets outside the base. When you go into the Stronghold super-villain prison you'll have a team of SPARC guards waiting on you to show up so they can head in with your hero to take on the rioting prisoners and mind-controlled guards inside. In short, we're trying to make you feel like your character is part of a larger world.

Will non-combat skills come into play?

As an example, if a level has a reactor which may explode, blocking off entry to an area, can that reactor be set to normal with a 'Science' skill? Can a 'Security' roll be made to gain entrance to areas that you couldn't otherwise enter? (rabb1t)

Arkayne: Yes there is rabb1t! There are skills you can learn, develop, and use to affect your environment. For example, while raiding a VIPER base you may come across a team of VIPER agents accessing a Draysha Gas station to make themselves more powerful in combat. If your Science skill is high enough, you may be able to shut down the gas vents or reconfigure it so you can gain the benefits (and drawbacks) of the gas! We have a good distribution of Skill-based interactions throughout the game so players will have lots of fun figuring out how to turn an environment to their advantage or unlock bonus elements.

and finally;

What happens at the endgame?

The Omega System

The OMEGA system is our name for the whole of our end-game content. There are several different event-types that fall into this category, and it's also designed to be expanded as time goes by. That being said, let's talk about what's going to be there for launch.

UNITY Missions
UNITY is a top-level branch of UNTIL that recruits the world's most powerful heroes to act as fast-response teams for global threats. There are new events and missions that heroes can go on each day, earning special commendations for success. These commendations can then be used to gain access to high-level Lairs and Headquarters which have special OMEGA-level rewards. The UNITY missions change every day, so be sure to check and see who needs help, and where.

THE HERO GAMES
There are special arenas and rewards for the highest level of competitors in this hero-on-hero competition.

PERKS
For those players who like to work towards very long-term goals, there are high-end perks that will require dedication to complete, but will also have rewards that reflect the dedication of those heroes able to complete them.

NEMESIS
Defeating your Nemesis is one thing, but do you have the mettle to fill out your Nemesis Gallery with numerous deadly enemies? And once that is complete, who knows what new challenges will await you?

CRAFTING
For those heroes who are inventors or researchers by nature, there are some very high-end crafting recipes that require true dedication to complete. But the results are magnificent!

Also, these are the basis for our continued work on end-game content. We have a lot more in the pipeline that will be released after the game launches, but we wanted to create a solid foundation so you know we're serious about giving you lots to do once you've built your hero up to be amongst the world's elite.

Thats info from october I believe, so hopefully they have expanded on that since. As I said, still closed beta, so on exact details they are still hush hush. theres more info in the thread link I posted first page (and is now corrected. Looks like they moved thier forums around which broke my link.)
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby phaqueue » Mon May 25, 2009 12:32 am

Wow - given that FAQ it looks pretty good so far... a long stretch from the boredom that was CoH/CoV (at least IMO)

I"m excited about the new Star Wars (forgot they were separate studios... :( )

although... I'm pretty hooked on l4d right now... and I keep getting bored with MMOs - I work 3rd shift... so I'm never on when friends are... so we'll see
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby bub64882 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Mutley wrote:
bub64882 wrote:I can haz moar supah heroez plx? :)

Weren't they working on the Star Trek MMO at one point too? Biting off more than they can chew I think.

They are. http://www.startrekonline.com/

These guys are insane. They are already developing two MMO's, and now rumored to be working on a third??? I don't see how any developer, let alone one the size of Cryptic, can make 3 syccessful MMO's at the same time. Quality on all will suffer, I'm afraid.

A couple of weeks ago, we posted word that recent Atari acquisition Cryptic Studios was working on breathing life into several Atari legacy titles. Now we’ve got a few more details to share.

Sources tell us that the developer is working on a massively multiplayer online (MMO) version of “Neverwinter Nights” with an eyed 2011 release.

Details about the project are unavailable, naturally, as it is an unannounced title. But this reportedly was the primary reason Atari was interested in acquiring Cryptic late last year. (The developer is currently working on “Champions Online” and “Star Trek Online”.)

Based on the third edition Dungeon and Dragons rules, “NWN” is a well-loved franchise. The first installment of the role-playing game was developed by fan-favorite Bioware in 2002. A sequel, developed by Obsidian Entertainment, came out in 2006 to slightly less favorable, but still solid, reviews.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scen ... ights.html
bub64882

Postby pierth » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Picked up Champions Online today since I'm pretty burned out on WoW at the moment (I've upgraded gear on a couple 80s as far as I feasibly can within confines of my guild), so I'll let ya know what I see. I previously played CoH for about a year and a half and did a couple or three free trials of CoV.

I've read thus far that the release seems to be going well, with no major issues and minimal server downtime and the biggest complaints I've read are that there isn't enough content once you hit ~20 (out of 40), the missions are repetitive (just like CoX), and classes/specs/powers are severely unbalanced. One poster noted "FoTM or GTFO," but we'll see how it goes.

Anyone already picked out a server?
Divinær, 80 mage; Fauste, 80 warlock; Wyck 70 tankadin (retired)
Steamwheedle Cartel(RP)- US
pierth
Maintankadonor

Postby bub64882 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:26 pm

I miss Ilara :(

I am anxious to hear how it plays...Are the missions immersive? I would think the character creation would be really fun...any thoughts on that so far?
bub64882

Postby Ilara » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Awwww... You miss me?
Ilara

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Ilara wrote:Awwww... You miss me?

We all do.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ilara » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 pm

And I was only gone since yesterday.~
Ilara

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 pm

FEELS LIKE FOREVER! ;_;
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ilara » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:48 pm

siiighs... I'm waiting for this box to blue-screen so I can gather the code info and take it in to the store. I had one earlier, recorded the info, and a WoW crash shortly after, but now all of a sudden it doesn't want to.
Its like waiting for a bomb to go off. It's gunna go boom eventually, I just dunno when...

On topic;
I haven't looked into getting Champions yet because of these problems.
Ilara

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Ilara wrote:siiighs... I'm waiting for this box to blue-screen so I can gather the code info and take it in to the store. I had one earlier, recorded the info, and a WoW crash shortly after, but now all of a sudden it doesn't want to.
Its like waiting for a bomb to go off. It's gunna go boom eventually, I just dunno when...

Know exactly how you feel. My old comp was on the fritz for a couple years and for a week or two after every major failure I was staring at the tower like the thing would explode any minute.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Ilara » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Yeah, if you see my other thread, I have been going nuts over this for like four days now, and NOW it seems to want to co-operate now the threat of "being taken to the vet" has been stated.
Ilara

Postby Tenaka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 am

pierth wrote:Anyone already picked out a server?

From what list?

1 server, multiple shards.

It's no WoW replacement but it is a near perfect distraction for in-between WoW sessions.
Tenaka

Postby Ilara » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 am

Have people got the game yet? I would love to hear some opinions on the structure/questing/things to do.
Ilara

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum