'World of Warcraft' Gets Kids Interested in School

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Levantine » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 pm

*Hides in a corner with a mobile phone playing the Twilight Zone theme*

Also, you wanna know something totally funny? I was in graaaaadeeee, 4 (I think) when FF7 came out. I remember playing it for the first time and thinking it was omgsohard. I also thought that Midgar was like, the entirety of the first disc.
Levantine

Postby Vanifae » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:13 pm

This kid is excited about World of Warcraft.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Conaan! » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:15 pm

thats a kid? damnit she was that young?
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Losbullitt » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:30 am

Aalryn wrote:
Losbullitt wrote:
Aalryn wrote:
Losbullitt wrote:
Erendis wrote:
Losbullitt wrote:
Fenira wrote:LMAO! I remember when I was in highschool WoW dominated my life style and everything I did... Wish it did the oposite for me!

God I feel old now. :?

Same. Starcraft is what ate my life senior year of high school.

FFVII was still big my senior year. :o

Wow.

Spending time on my brand new 386DX 33 with a 2400 baud modem on local bbs boards playing tradewars ate up my high school >.>. I think my senior year I finally got a 14.4 modem

I was in junior high when the 14.4 came and was epic. :shock: I was like "wow... online gaming".

weird... cause FFVII came out when i was in college. I sense a TIME PARADOX

<que Jenova music>
Losbullitt

Postby Annabelle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:30 am

I was playin SNES in high school :roll:
Keep your friends close and your curly fries even closer.
Annabelle

Postby Chunes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 am

Losbullitt wrote:
Erendis wrote:
Losbullitt wrote:
Fenira wrote:LMAO! I remember when I was in highschool WoW dominated my life style and everything I did... Wish it did the oposite for me!

God I feel old now. :?

Same. Starcraft is what ate my life senior year of high school.

FFVII was still big my senior year. :o

lol this for me too.

I didnt get into wow until mid college. It's a wonder i even got my degree...
Chunes

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 am

I remember in high school I was helping a kid with his algebra homework and he asked me, "why do I have to know this stuff anyway? When will I use it?" And I didn't know what to say. When I was his age I had been using algebra basically daily for years to the point that I didn't even think about it. I realized then that it wasn't that these people didn't know the math, it was that they just didn't think in math.

I think the issue is that people who are already into math and statistics will apply them to the game. Those who aren't will just accept the conclusions the math-and-stats people give them.

Being actually scientific is something the American populace just doesn't get. Just look at anything on the official forums and you'll see a lot of anecdotal evidence with little documentation that creates very little in the way of testable hypotheses. We have a whole generation of American youth that is being taught that it is acceptable science to believe what a book tells them (not naming names) instead of using the scientific method.

Maybe at least if we expose kids to all these numbers they'll pick up something along the way.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Jedah » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:05 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Maybe they were reading EJ? You need a degree in advanced mathematics to keep up with the Windfury Theorycraft over there. ><

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this, sometimes i joke with my friends about getting a degree in advanced mathematics so i can understand EJ. lol
Jedah

Postby Ruex » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Invisusira wrote:
Erendis wrote:
Guess what — the kids want to play video games. But they also learn everything from math skills to social skills along the way.

I Lol'ed at this one.

Teabagging newbs in BG's is a positive social skill?!

But I guess gettig your kid into WoW can't be too bad.
I mean they can do your dailies and Farm mats for you and blizz can't nail you for botting.

player: "Mr. GM I want my warlock back! I wasn't Botting!"
Gm: "we have witness reports of your character exhibiting very suspicous bot like behavior."
Player: "no no, my baby rolls around alot when she sleeps, so when I put her down for her nap, i just place the keyboard in her crib, and she just rolls around on it. So I leave my lock in SMV to grind motes for me."
GM: "...."

Postby anthony » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:49 am

Invisusira wrote:
Erendis wrote:
Guess what — the kids want to play video games. But they also learn everything from math skills to social skills along the way.

I Lol'ed at this one.
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Postby vschiano2008 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:51 am

a little bit of math and number crunching brings logic to the game..

and the people that go the extents to do the math and consider different factors, troll research forums, play with gear simulators, etc, TEND to be the better players (skill wise).

kinda like--- the people dedicated enough to farm 400 badges and get full badge gear, typically are the better players as well when it comes to end game BT/Sunwell
vschiano2008

Postby Losbullitt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:12 am

Scientific method. lol.

They taught that in elementary school back in the day.

Crap I feel so old now.
Losbullitt

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum