I hate - Everything you don't like about Final Fantasy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Losbullitt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:54 pm

That's not Tifa. That's Mario's retarded half-brother.

The name (and eyesight) escapes me.
Losbullitt

Postby Invisusira » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:55 pm

You know what image this thread is lacking (up until this point)?

Invisusira

Postby Losbullitt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Invisusira wrote:You know what image this thread is lacking (up until this point)?

:shock:
Losbullitt

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Losbullitt wrote:FFVIII
Junction? Hit and miss. Liked being able to draw it out of creatures and the land. But seriously? Boring at times.
Cool summon effects but old after 7. Is there a fastforward button?
Parts of the game didn't make sense to me. Dinosaurs near Balamb garden? Cities and cars but the land was so sparse looking?
Strange way to gain money.
Boss fights were unbalanced.

The good (My 2nd favorite PSone game)
The music was just mindblowing. Epic finale.
A lot of depth with the characters. They weren't just pretty. Rinoa came off as helpless a lot but was offset by Seifer's OGness, Raijin and Fujin's comedy and Squall's soul searching.
The story was just epic in quality and substance.

Squall was terrible, like the rest of his game
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby aranil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Losbullitt wrote:FFVIII
Junction? Hit and miss. Liked being able to draw it out of creatures and the land. But seriously? Boring at times.
Cool summon effects but old after 7. Is there a fastforward button?
Parts of the game didn't make sense to me. Dinosaurs near Balamb garden? Cities and cars but the land was so sparse looking?
Strange way to gain money.
Boss fights were unbalanced.

The good (My 2nd favorite PSone game)
The music was just mindblowing. Epic finale.
A lot of depth with the characters. They weren't just pretty. Rinoa came off as helpless a lot but was offset by Seifer's OGness, Raijin and Fujin's comedy and Squall's soul searching.
The story was just epic in quality and substance.

Squall was terrible, like the rest of his game

Whiny little asshole
aranil

Postby Losbullitt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Everyone says FFVIII is bad. I didn't see it.
Losbullitt

Postby Papewaio » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:43 pm

I've tried FF4, FF6, FF7, FF10. Hated them all, tbh. The only redeeming features of squeenix as a whole are the FF7 materia system and Chrono Trigger. The moment you add a UI option to your games to shorten the special effects on a whole class of spells (ie, summons) should be the day you realize you're doing it wrong.

And, of course, there are plenty western RPGs that are quite worth it.
Just ot name a few:

• Planescape: Torment. Because The Nameless One and The Transcendent One make a much, much better hero/villain pair than Cloud and Sephiroth ever could aspire to be. And because, if you're going to make a game all about a hero with an identity crisis, you should do it right.
  • Fallout (both 1 and 2). Games where power gaming and role playing can coexist peacefully. Well, as peacefully as the world of Fallout allows anything to be.
  • Ultima 7. Some other Ultimas (namely, 4 and 6) are supposed to be quite good, but I never got to play them. Either way, 7 and 7 part 2 both are games that show that you don't have to fight godlike entities of alien origin for a plot to feel epic. Plus they both have worlds that really feel alive.
  • Ultima Underworld I and II. UW came out at about the same time as Wolfenstein 3D, but featured a 3D engine that would make the Doom engine weep. Free look? Check. Slopes? Check. True 3D/stacking? Check. Oh, and the actual game is well worth playing, with a very, very imaginative magic system, a nice dungeon "world" to explore, and a classical macguffin "damsel in distress" plot, for good measure.
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Sadly, TES4: Oblivion sucked. But TES3 was a superb sandbox-style RPG.
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura. A really nice steampunk/fantasy game, with a truly convoluted plot and an expansive game world. The Technology/Magic duality is also an interesting touch.

Haven't played a *really* good RPG in a while, though. Seems the real deal RPG is a lost art form.
Papewaio

Postby Elennira » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Papewaio wrote:Planescape: Torment. Because The Nameless One and The Transcendent One make a much, much better hero/villain pair than Cloud and Sephiroth ever could aspire to be. And because, if you're going to make a game all about a hero with an identity crisis, you should do it right.

YES

i love that game so hard with mouth
Elennira

Postby Delphineas » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:39 pm

I liked 8 and tactics best.

Legend of Dragoon needs a sequel. I don't care how, someone stole Zieg's and Rose's Dragoon Spirits, I don't care.
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Losbullitt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Ultima. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
Losbullitt

Postby Papewaio » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:03 am

Ultima is serious business.

Ultima Worlds of Adventure: Martian Dreams is hilarious (even if just for the cast).
Papewaio

Postby Kitsuna » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:56 am

Final Fantasy VIII was when I first realized it was possible for Square to make a crappy game.

Junctioning was a nice idea, but spending five hour drawing cures so I can refine curas, and then refinie those into 1 big heal so I can redraw again is as far from fun as I know.

Card game was fun until rules required a two year course to play the game.

Oh, and the plot sucked. Time Compression? Yeah, that fits in nicely.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Mitsumi » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 am

i loved VIII as much as i loved VII

XII battle system was boring and it´s the first ff that i never finished
Mitsumi

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:30 am

FFVIII was the first one I played, I got to the end of disk 3 with all my characters under level 25, and couldn't beat Seifer. Had to start over.
I get the feeling I may have missed out on some bits of the game's system based on what people have said here (or maybe I've just forgotten the details), but I did end up beating the game after levelling to max and getting all the GFs.

I played IX, X, and X-2 as they came out, and completed them all (FFIX I defeated Ozma and Hades (hell, after Ozma every other fight in the game was cake) but didn't get my chars' their ultimate weapons, don't think I've completed much of the side-stuff in the others). I've played most of the others in the series at one time or another, but never finished any of them. I'm also pretty sure I've never successfully replayed one of the ones I've previously finished.

Most of the games, I hit a point where it seems either impossible to progress or I just have no idea where I'm supposed to go next. Or I spend hours hitting myself to raise my stats and get so bored I give up (FF2!). Always seems like the progression curve on stats/levels is just slightly slower than the rate you can beat the fights, so you inevitably meet something you're just not high enough to kill without level grinding.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:09 am

KysenMurrin wrote:FFVIII was the first one I played, I got to the end of disk 3 with all my characters under level 25, and couldn't beat Seifer. Had to start over.
I get the feeling I may have missed out on some bits of the game's system based on what people have said here (or maybe I've just forgotten the details), but I did end up beating the game after levelling to max and getting all the GFs.

I played IX, X, and X-2 as they came out, and completed them all (FFIX I defeated Ozma and Hades (hell, after Ozma every other fight in the game was cake) but didn't get my chars' their ultimate weapons, don't think I've completed much of the side-stuff in the others). I've played most of the others in the series at one time or another, but never finished any of them. I'm also pretty sure I've never successfully replayed one of the ones I've previously finished.

Most of the games, I hit a point where it seems either impossible to progress or I just have no idea where I'm supposed to go next. Or I spend hours hitting myself to raise my stats and get so bored I give up (FF2!). Always seems like the progression curve on stats/levels is just slightly slower than the rate you can beat the fights, so you inevitably meet something you're just not high enough to kill without level grinding.
o.o
I was like 55 by the time I beat Edea in Galbadia, disc 2
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum