Remove Advertisements

Recommend (PC only) Games!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby guillex » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:48 pm

roosevelt wrote:
Guillex wrote:I waited 8 days through capped seeders to NOT be able to play? wtf!

I bought the game and it works fine on my crap system. Maybe you should support companies that make outstanding games instead of justifying the extreme anti-piracy measures they go to that hassle paying customers. You could probably even get it working with tech support of the legit version has the same issue.

Yeah, you know what? You've converted me. Wow.

I never knew! I'm SUCH a bad person! Because I HATE playing the game before I go and spend money on something I may or may not enjoy. Let's TORCH LIBRARIES TOO!!!

[/ sarcasm] (just in case you weren't following the tone of the post)

Oh, and btw, I got it to work.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby roosevelt » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Guillex wrote:
roosevelt wrote:
Guillex wrote:I waited 8 days through capped seeders to NOT be able to play? wtf!

I bought the game and it works fine on my crap system. Maybe you should support companies that make outstanding games instead of justifying the extreme anti-piracy measures they go to that hassle paying customers. You could probably even get it working with tech support of the legit version has the same issue.

I never knew! I'm SUCH a bad person! Because I HATE playing the game before I go and spend money on something I may or may not enjoy. Let's TORCH LIBRARIES TOO!!!

I'm going to watch my words because I don't want this to be a flame war and I suggest you do likewise.

Did you pay for it after you got it to work and liked it?

I hate buying games I haven't played as much as you do. Everyone does. We all hate paying for anything. I buy my games and vote with my dollars. I read reviews and check out trailers. You can easily get a very good feel for what playing a game will be like online and get a pretty good idea of what kind of bugs/support it will have from the company's track record.

I don't really care how you justify "steal it before you buy it". My point was that you were complaining that your stolen goods don't work. I had the exact same problem you did and I registered my CD key and went on the official tech support forums and got it working in no time.

I have been buying computer games for many years and have seen some of the greatest game companies go out of business and seen the market shift to consoles for more money. Pirating is mooching off of all the legit customers and contributing to the lower quantity and quality of PC games. If everyone did what you did then games would not be made.
roosevelt

Postby Harlequina » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 am

Hopefully I get the Orange Box in the mailbox tomorrow. :p
Harlequina

Postby Everum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:57 am

roosevelt wrote:
Guillex wrote:
roosevelt wrote:

I'm going to watch my words because I don't want this to be a flame war and I suggest you do likewise.

Did you pay for it after you got it to work and liked it?

I hate buying games I haven't played as much as you do. Everyone does. We all hate paying for anything. I buy my games and vote with my dollars. I read reviews and check out trailers. You can easily get a very good feel for what playing a game will be like online and get a pretty good idea of what kind of bugs/support it will have from the company's track record.

I don't really care how you justify "steal it before you buy it". My point was that you were complaining that your stolen goods don't work. I had the exact same problem you did and I registered my CD key and went on the official tech support forums and got it working in no time.

I have been buying computer games for many years and have seen some of the greatest game companies go out of business and seen the market shift to consoles for more money. Pirating is mooching off of all the legit customers and contributing to the lower quantity and quality of PC games. If everyone did what you did then games would not be made.

Pirating is bad, yes everybody knows, so I'm not going to go respond to that.

BUT!

I strongly believe gamers shouldn't support EA's SecuROM copyprotection on games. I bought my copy of Mass Effect 2 months ago and already I went through 2 activations because of PC upgrades. 1 Activation left now. Last time I checked, I paid to own my copy of my game and to play it indefinitely, not to 'rent' it and have to pay again or jump through hoops for more activations. If I knew this before, I'd have downloaded a pirated version too.

Guillex: Glad to hear you got it working!
Everum

Postby Erendis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:55 am

Elennira wrote:system shock 2

that is all

Agreed.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Re: Recommend (PC only) Games!

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 am

Some fresh recommendations for PC gaming would be nice (MMO / Internet NOT REQUIRED).

I've experienced a lack of interest in WoW due to the people I used to play with drifting apart and other events, never could get "HOOKED" on Rift even though it was a nice game.. Reactivated City of Heroes and played the new content and now it's pretty much shelved again. Played 44 hours of Oblivion and haven't found other activities in the game that I like enough to keep playing it.. I've replayed a few series(probably the 10th time each lol)

I prefer RPG's & Strategy games. Never been big on FPS's (That's what my XBOX is for)

P.S. I finished downloading The Witcher this morning (Enhanced Edition), if I like it I will try #2 also.

"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Torakka » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:07 am

If you like strategy games, I'd recommend Sword of the Stars (the first one, SotS II is quite a mess currently). It is basically Space: Total War, I.E. strategic actions such as research, production and fleet movement are turn-based while combat is real-time. You design the ships you want to use from different modules and upgrades and the tech-tree is somewhat random. That combined with six races with quite different travel methods adds a lot re-playability. I bought my Complete Edition for 5e from Steam sale, but the default price of 20e is definitely worth it too, in my opinion.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby Aubade » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 am

Shyrtandros wrote:Some fresh recommendations for PC gaming would be nice (MMO / Internet NOT REQUIRED).

I've experienced a lack of interest in WoW due to the people I used to play with drifting apart and other events, never could get "HOOKED" on Rift even though it was a nice game.. Reactivated City of Heroes and played the new content and now it's pretty much shelved again. Played 44 hours of Oblivion and haven't found other activities in the game that I like enough to keep playing it.. I've replayed a few series[i](probably the 10th time each lol)

If you're down to play on your Xbox and not your PC (Or Ps3 if you have one.) Get Dark Souls.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Winkle » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 am

Well there's Skyrim on the 11th, which seems to be getting RPGers all frothy at the mouth. Having never played an Elder Scrolls game before i have no idea what to expect but so many people seem to be going gaga about it i feel compelled to play.

I got RAGE a few weeks back, its a semi competent FPS/RPG, feels a bit like Fallout 3. But much like fallout 3 i got bored playing it, things slowly get repetitive. TBH though i struggle with any single player FPS games as multiplayer is just that much more fun.

Apparently stalker and its expansions are on sale very very cheap on steam, so if you haven't tried that it might be worth a look. I played it a good while back and gave up because i kept dieing to rabid radiation dogs and couldn't be arsed (which is a general theme with me and games).

Dead Island is fun if you like Zombies, again its FPS/RPG much like RAGE and Fallout 3, these type of games seem very popular atm. I actually played a decent chunk of this, although never completed it. The mix of tropical holiday island and zombies is an interesting one.

Sword of Start II just got released, its an RTS by some small indie developer. It's one of the games with tons of promise and an equal ton of bugs. I think it's pretty cheap on steam and as long as the dev can stay afloat will probably receive many a patch/update.

Civ 5, been out ages now so i assume if you like RTS you have already played it, if not this game is AMAZING. But maybe because i like Civ.

......and i'm spent
Winkle

Postby Thalia » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Thalia

Postby DexterBelgium » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:27 am

If you could be forced to play an aRPG (in the broadest sense) go get Bastion (on steam). Quirky, fun, different and packs a HELL of a punch in the final act.
DexterBelgium

Postby Lexica_Wildhammer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:43 am

I am loving Last Stand for Dawn of War 2 at the moment. It has RPG elements (you pick gear to grant abilities) and games last about 15 mins so easy to jump in and play with a bit of spare time.
Lexica_Wildhammer

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:38 am

Skyrim not being released yet makes it completely useless to me.. :|
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby aureon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 am

Torakka wrote:If you like strategy games, I'd recommend Sword of the Stars (the first one, SotS II is quite a mess currently). It is basically Space: Total War, I.E. strategic actions such as research, production and fleet movement are turn-based while combat is real-time. You design the ships you want to use from different modules and upgrades and the tech-tree is somewhat random. That combined with six races with quite different travel methods adds a lot re-playability. I bought my Complete Edition for 5e from Steam sale, but the default price of 20e is definitely worth it too, in my opinion.

Please elaborate a bit - i'm a sci-fi fan lately, and i absolutely ravaged Rome Total War (To the extent of 400h+, 3 full runs on Europa Barbarorum)
aureon

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:14 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Stars

(It's as space 4X game)

Sword of the Stars consists of turn based strategic gameplay highighted by real time battles. Each of the four races has a unique method of strategic movement among other differentiators.

For example, one race uses nodes for hyperspace, whereas another race just bores a direct (but slower) hole through spacetime to get to you.

There are three different types of hull sizes available, namely destroyer, cruiser, and dreadnought. Players must design new ships to take advantage of breakthroughs in technology.

(I like this, as I really enjoyed the turn based game, "Stars!", long ago.)

The goal with Sword of the Stars was to create a relatively fast-paced multiplayer-focused game. To that end, there are timers in place to limit the duration of strategic turns, as well as the duration of the battles, which are fought in real-time. When a player leaves, he or she is replaced by an AI that is given specific orders as to how to continue play. Any game can be saved and then later continued, both on-line and off-line.

It's $20 for the whole series on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/42890/

There's a game-specific wiki:
http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Sword_of_the_Stars

On races:
  • For the more traditional 4X player I would suggest the Tarka. Their Hyperdrive is the most traditional movement system and they can expand in a very controllable spherical fashion.
  • For the tactical combat traditionalist I would suggest the Humans. Their ship strengths, weaknesses and maneuverability will be very intuitive. Strategically you are dependant on set routes through the stars so get used to defending choke points early and often.
  • The Hiver are great for players who like to craft their Empire and get very upset whenever anyone tries to wreck it. Slow strategic movement combined with the instant reaction time inside your own ring network means you tend to be very precise about where you are going and what you are doing but then you are completely xenophobic about any intrusion into your space.
  • And finally the Liir are for the player who just has to get their hands on everything new and shiny. The Liir will have the fastest research rate and the largest tech trees on average so they are definitely the race for players who want to build quality not quantity. Their Stutterwarp drives allows them to move through deep space quickly, but it slows down near gravity wells, such as stars or planets.

Demo:

http://www.fileplanet.com/165574/160000 ... Stars-Demo

I don't play it. I thought I had played a demo of it, long ago, but it seems that what I remember playing (and sucking at) was Sins of a Solar Empire, instead. Whoops.
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum