Recommend (PC only) Games!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Tasartir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:25 am

from memory it was immersion and setting. Although there are 2 main characters trying to convince you of the right choice ;)
Tasartir

Postby daemonym » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am

Aldonza wrote:Might and Magic 4: Clouds of Xeen
Might and Magic 5: Darkdside of Xeen

zomgz if only i could get them to work again >_< dos box don't seem to want to help me without putting in a huge key response delay into the game :shock:
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Aldonza » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:09 pm

This site gives some little tidbits trying to get it to work better:

http://everything2.com/e2node/World%2520of%2520Xeen
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

Postby Tasartir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm

oh Dosbox, that reminds me of another fine game that i shouold play more, Crusader: No Remorse and the sequal Crusader: No regret. essentially your the top of the law enforcement for the monopaly government type thing gone turncoat. You've seen them as an evil empire and set about taking them down.

Done as a 3rd person, camera set ay about 45 degrees. The second one had a few extra control commands. And found a fun christmas remix hidden among the sounds files ;)
Tasartir

Postby Dakiros » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Harlequina wrote:Bioshock - Is there narration in the game? Does it immerse you? Or is it mainly just good gameplay and a cool setting?

Most of the story is told from conversations with the other NPCs; background is filled in mainly from recordings you find throughout the game (think audio diaries). Its a fantastic game from top to bottom.
Dakiros

Postby Harlequina » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 am

Dakiros wrote:
Harlequina wrote:Bioshock - Is there narration in the game? Does it immerse you? Or is it mainly just good gameplay and a cool setting?

Most of the story is told from conversations with the other NPCs; background is filled in mainly from recordings you find throughout the game (think audio diaries). Its a fantastic game from top to bottom.

I'm convinced now so I'm gonna download it tonight. :p Thanks.
Harlequina

Postby Everum » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Oblivion like some already said is an amazing game. Do be sure to make it even more mindblowing by adding mods to the game. There is a certain overhaul mod that makes the moblevels static like it is in generic RPG's.

Mass Effect is also highly recommended.

Witcher: Action RPG a-la-Jade Empire style but with adult themes and a gritty world.

You mentioned that your PC might not be able to handle newer games. Oblivion and Mass Effect you shouldn't even bother with if you cannot get a decent FPS without turning off a lot of the detail imo.

Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal + Romance/Banter mod = win

Planescape: Torment : Amazing plot. A lot of the focus on dialog instead of combat.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines : Have to play it even if it is just for that bloody Hotel level.

Neverwinter Nights 1 + 2 + addons/expansions: Not as well done as Baldur's Gate, but still worth playing.

These are all games I own and still play. I cycle through them basically. By the time I am done with the last one, sufficient time has passed and I just start over again.
Everum

Postby Harlequina » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:56 am

I can play Oblivion fine (medium-high). Is Mass Effect on the same kind of level, or are we talking Crysis-level?
Harlequina

Postby Harlequina » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:02 am

And about Planescape... I did try it before because I heard it had a good story, and I love good stories. When I entered the game I noticed the low low resolution (reason why I love BG2, high resolutions), but decided to just play anyways for the sake of reading. It was nice, though when I got to the town (or whatever it was, don't remember), I just lost interest for some reason. Is there some point in the game where you just get more interested somehow? The start was good really.

A higher resolution really would help. :p
Harlequina

Postby hoho » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 am

QuantumDelta wrote:Btw, hoho, Space Empires 4 = massive micromanagement?
More than MOO2 but nothing too bad. Nothing as big as Moo3 when you turned all the helper AI's off :)
QuantumDelta wrote:Moo2 was a fairly good balance between micro and macro but Moo3 took it way too far.
Yes but MOO2 didn't have as much customization possibilities in my oppinion. MOO3 was a nice idea but it is hard to find the right balance between doing stuff yourself and letting the AI do it.
QuantumDelta wrote:Insane micromanagement that's enforced on players is bad.
Tastes are different :)
hoho

Postby Aelissa » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:32 am

I second Planescape Torment. Best storyline driven RPG ever. Give it another try, honestly. Once you get into the story it blows you away. I guess the story really gets going when you get out of Sigil and start hopping around the planes, finding out more and more about yourself in the process. And boy, you were a piece of work.
Aelissa

Postby Aranbenjo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:10 am

Aelissa wrote:I second Planescape Torment. Best storyline driven RPG ever. Give it another try, honestly. Once you get into the story it blows you away. I guess the story really gets going when you get out of Sigil and start hopping around the planes, finding out more and more about yourself in the process. And boy, you were a piece of work.

Number 1 here ...
The savior of the broken,the beaten and the damned

Aranbenjo.Thunderhorn.EU
Aranbenjo

Postby DarkFerret » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:47 pm

If you like long, fairly open-ended RPGs, I'd try Sacred if you're able to find a copy.
I can't talk on Vent because my master won't remove the ball-gag until it's time for my spanking.
DarkFerret

Postby guillex » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Ok so I'm ... getting ... Mass Effect.

I'm REALLY hoping that it'll be worth the past week's wait.

If not, heads will roll.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby cryst » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Guillex wrote:Ok so I'm ... getting ... Mass Effect.

I'm REALLY hoping that it'll be worth the past week's wait.

If not, heads will roll.

I quite enjoyed it.

Pros:
Conversation system, woohoo
Semi non-linear plot progression

Cons:
Far too short of a game, unless you do the sidequests as well
LOOOOOONG elevator rides ftl
cryst
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum