Postby Rehlachs- » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:38 am

Master of Orion 2
Monkey Island I+II
Rehlachs-

Postby Tasartir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 am

Elennira wrote:system shock 2

that is all

^^^ this.

Bio shock was good, but not as good as SS2. There is also a project that is revamping the models to look heaps better, though it's been going a few years and not sure if it will finish ;P

I've Just finished Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. which was fun as i hadn's playe a fps for a while. The downside it that it porbably one of the most buggiest games. Although it was a great excuse to give my computer a decent upgrade ;)

Another FPS i really enjoyed is the max payne series. With the movie coming out, it's a good excuse for me to play again ;) Although i think Fox should have let the fan pic continue :(

Black and white i should reinstall and play again, it is a stratergy game where you are god creating a nation, and competeing against other gods.

In the realm of stratergy, heroes of might and magic is a good series, though my favourite is the total war titles.

as far as RPG although old i would go for Neverwinter nights or Baulder's Gate/Icewind Dale.
Tasartir

Postby Harlequina » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:19 am

Thank you everyone, though... Need moar opinions on WHY you think a particular game is just That good :p

What IS System Shock 2, for example? What makes it good? Yea yea I could look it up myself but it's always better to hear what others think about it.

Many mentioned games I've already played though but I wrote that in the first post anyways :p. Many QUALITY games... The Heroes of Magic and Magic games, Baldurs Gate... Knights of the Old Republic... All the good SNES RPG's... Those kinds of games.

This is a nice list so go on!

Gotta admit it's hard to imagine how good a game is when someone else explains it, until you try it yourself, but it's easier if you like... Compare it to some other big game, or just explain WHY it's So good.

Bioshock sounds good, but how good really? It is the highest rated game on IGN I think, but I really can't see why yet. WHY is it that good?

The Witcher, I heard some stuff about bad bugs in it or whatever but I might be wrong. Why is that one good? Is it a BioWare game? Same company that made Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale (hint hint)? In that case I have to try it.

System Shock, what is that? "*insert game name*... That is all." - is the kind of comment I would give for a thread like this myself, so I'm curious, just what is it?

Orange Box, a winner for sure. All the games in it does look fun. Thanks. I'll definately get it at Some point atleast.

Warhammer Mark of Chaos, is that like W40k? Guessing not (saw some screenies before). Is it like a normal RTS with resource gathering (in some way) or is it just about the battle? I like W40k shitloads.

Steam, I downloaded that like 5 days ago actually, and was just about to buy TF2 but changed my mind for some reason. But you're right, it's a good thing.

Mass Effect, requires a very good computer I guess? No go for me in that case. :p But it does look good.

CoD, don't think I was ever into those kinds of games, but thanks. Heard good stuff about CoD4.

Master of Orion 2, sounds old, but old can be oh so good. I'll look into it myself.

Devil May Cry 4, isn't that a console game? It's probably good but still. :p

The Suffering, I always liked scary games so I'll look into it.
Harlequina

Postby Tasartir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:48 am

SS2 and Bioshock is prolly best explained as a fps/rpg

SS2 came out years ago. The general plot being you are the sole surviver on a space station which the controling computer has gone a little crazy. Using the games currency you increase your traits for Hacking the computer system and increasing skill in one of the 3 weapons catergory (heavy, electric and exotic?) and i think there's another skill. You can also increase your stats - hp, movement speed, str etc.

It's got a great suspenceful atmosphere and if killed quite a few weekends playing it with a few mates.

The "sequal" to this was Bioshock set around the 40's i think and characters skills and traits are improved through plasmids, also has an interesting good vs evil theme though it if i remember.

Hope it helps, if i'm a little off i'm sure i will be corrected ;P it's been a while since i played either.

Edit: as you didn't mention total war, i'll explain a little here. there's a few of them: Shogun (feudal japan), medieval (europe), Rome (obvious ;P) and medieval 2 (improved on the first europe) plus a few xpacs ;)

There is 2 parts to the game stratergy map and battle field. Stratergy map is all about building up the provences, troups, and diplomacy( including religion, marriges, spys). The battle field is where well the battle take place ;P which you command your units, and for me is the more fun part.
Last edited by Tasartir on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tasartir

Postby hoho » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:52 am

Fallout 2: best PC RPG ever. Strategic fights, your actions actually change the outcome, no mindless clicking.

Space Empires 4: excellent 4x game, I'd say better than Master of Orion 2. Endless replay value, nearly unlimited customization possibilities. It's probably much better with human opponents than with AI.

X-Com: UFO defence/Enemy Unknown: one of the best games I've played and still play time-to-time. Kind of old ('93) but awfully good. Only problem is it's really steep learning curve. I loved the management part about as much as the tacktical combat, I did about half a notebook worth of calculations to come up with the perfect way to earn money with laser pistols and long range radars. It's sequel, terror from the deep is pretty nice too but everything that came after it is pretty bad compared to the original.

Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe: the best transport simulation to date. Tons more options than the original, quite challenging even with AI instead of human opponents.
hoho

Postby Tonic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:53 am

Harlequina wrote:The Witcher, I heard some stuff about bad bugs in it or whatever but I might be wrong. Why is that one good? Is it a BioWare game? Same company that made Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale (hint hint)? In that case I have to try it.

Haven't experienced any bugs yet, but the loading times are hellish. But, the "Enhanced Edition" was released just recently, I believe it fixes pretty much everything, even the loading times.

Harlequina wrote:Devil May Cry 4, isn't that a console game? It's probably good but still. :p

There is a PC version :P It's a very fun Hack'n'Slash game (didn't expect myself to like it) with a ok story as well.
Tonic

Postby Voxe » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:15 am

hoho wrote:Fallout 2: best PC RPG ever. Strategic fights, your actions actually change the outcome, no mindless clicking.

Fallout (the original '97 version) is up for free download now --> HERE <-- (yesh, that is a link)
Voxe

Postby daemonym » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 am

a great game that i always love playing is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. older game but the game play and story line are beyond bad ass. it's a rpg/fps cross that was done really well. it's not like most games that try and cross those 2 genres thats like 'ok this is an fps with missions so that makes it an rpg'. if you want some great laughs play as a Malkavian vampire, the random out of this world lines your character says and reactions to them are just priceless. if you haven't played it before i highly recomend it.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Levantine » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:19 am

daemonym wrote:a great game that i always love playing is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. older game but the game play and story line are beyond bad ass. it's a rpg/fps cross that was done really well. it's not like most games that try and cross those 2 genres thats like 'ok this is an fps with missions so that makes it an rpg'. if you want some great laughs play as a Malkavian vampire, the random out of this world lines your character says and reactions to them are just priceless. if you haven't played it before i highly recomend it.

QFT. Can't believe I forgot about Bloodlines.
Levantine

Postby phaqueue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:26 am

Tasartir wrote:The "sequal" to this was Bioshock set around the 40's i think and characters skills and traits are improved through plasmids, also has an interesting good vs evil theme though it if i remember.

Hope it helps, if i'm a little off i'm sure i will be corrected ;P it's been a while since i played either.

I'll throw in some more info about Bioshock

the thing that makes this such a great game IMO is a mix of a good storyline and setting (I believe he was right in saying around the 1940's) the basic story is that you live in a world where people are able to enhance themselves through (it's been a while here) some sort of genetic mutation (basically - plastic surgery through genetic means)
basically - everyone in a city called Rapture (which is undersea) have gone crazy and are killing each other - you crash land and have to survive there (if I remember right)

some of the things that make this game different - the weapons are era specific but in addition to the weapons - you get what are called "plasmids" - which give you powers that you can weild in addition to your normal weapons. they give you powers like telekinesis, shotting fire and lightning from your hands, etc.

This adds an interesting aspect to the game - cause instead of just managing ammo like most FPS's you have to manage a sort of "mana" (called "Eve" if I remember right)

another interesting and moderately part of the game is "Big Daddys" and "Little Sisters" Big daddys are the robot looking things you see on the front (or just go to google and search you can find a pic I'm sure) and with them all the time is a little sister - when you defeat the big daddy -there is no one left to protect the little sister - and you have the choice to either harvest her for more Adam (allows you to buy upgrades and powers) or let her go free.

whether you choose to harvest or release the little sisters suppposedly has an effect on the ending you get (or something along those lines - haven't played it through a second time to test this)

definitely an interesting part of the game... got a little long winded here (sorry) but it's a game that I really did love when I finally played it - I expected a lot from the game, and I believe it really delivered. definitely worth the money.

Edit: definitely the 1940's (damn customers distracting me like I'm at work or something crazy)
Last edited by phaqueue on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phaqueue

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:44 am

Freespace2, the game that got me into online competitive gaming, and kept me there for good.

Amazing storyline for it and it's original (FS1), and it's been graphically updated by fans in recent years.

It's available for download if you know the right places to look, perhaps the game of the 1990s for me.

Like all space flight sims it can be seen as a bit generic, but it's the master of the genre, and only in the last two years have gaming magazines started not listing it in their "all time greatest games" lists (it got replaced by lancer in a few of the cheaper mags which wasn't as good as game but better graphics).
There hasn't been a space flight sim before or after that's better (no matter what the x-wing fans might tell you ;P)

Btw, hoho, Space Empires 4 = massive micromanagement?
Moo2 was a fairly good balance between micro and macro but Moo3 took it way too far.
Insane micromanagement that's enforced on players is bad.

If it's not I might try it out.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Tasartir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:09 am

it was set 1940's, easy typo there though, so think classic gangster, not medieval.

and eve was what was harvested from the little sisters as currency for the upgrades i thought.

Would have loved a multiplayer aspect to the game, that's why we keep going back to SS2.
Tasartir

Postby Harlequina » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 am

Bioshock - Is there narration in the game? Does it immerse you? Or is it mainly just good gameplay and a cool setting?
Harlequina

Postby Aldonza » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:21 am

If you enjoyed Heroes of Might and Magic, have you ever played any of the original Might and Magic Series?

These are some of my favorite RPG based games. Might and Magic 4 & 5 actually are connected, and you can play them with the same party. It even has some extra special features if you are doing both. They are rather old though, and would require a DOS Emulator to work. I think their proper names are:

Might and Magic 4: Clouds of Xeen
Might and Magic 5: Darkdside of Xeen

They used to come together in a package called World of Xeen. I always found them very epic. They are very similar to the original Dungeon Master games.

Might and Magic 7 was my next favorite of the series. It introduced the good/evil alignment which allowed for some more dynamic game play after you got a feel for the general storyline. Very good stories in all the games, IMO.
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum