Conducting a bit of a poll...

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Conducting a bit of a poll...

Postby Khisvir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 am

Let's say there is a deadline for a certain something, and that deadlline is Friday.

1) Would you think it's acceptable for someone to bring something in the following Wednesday, five days afterwards?

2) If you were the individual bringing in that something five days after the supposed deadline, would you be surprised if everyone everyone else in the building was angry at you?
Space for rent - reasonable rates
Khisvir

Postby daemonym » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 am

1) not acceptable at all, it should be bare minimum 2-3 months late.

2) I would be very surprised because I would expect a "thank you, now lets have a meeting every third teusday of every other month to talk about process improvement re engineering and best practice policies."

At least that is how things are handled where i work, and no that is not sarcasm or exaggeration, it is how it is.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Dorvan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 am

It depends of what the deadline was.

You also fail at neutral wording....it's quite obvious from your phrasing what your own opinion on the matter is.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: Conducting a bit of a poll...

Postby guillex » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:56 am

Khisvir wrote:Let's say there is a deadline for something REALLLLLLLY important, and that deadline is Friday.

1) Would my boss think it's acceptable for me to bring this really important project in the following Wednesday, five days afterwards?

2) If you were me, bringing in that something five days after the supposed deadline, would you be surprised if everyone else in the building was angry at you?

Fixed it. ;)

1. No. And you'd probably be fired. I'd fire you, if it was really that important.

2. I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if I got fired for it, unless I had a stupendously good reason for it having to be late.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Passionario » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 am

Better late than never.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 am

Dorvan wrote:It depends of what the deadline was.

You also fail at neutral wording....it's quite obvious from your phrasing what your own opinion on the matter is.

Really? What do you think his position is?

Given the wording of the 2nd question, I'm getting the feeling that this poll is in reference to something that has already happened, and the person who was late was surprised at everyone being angry at them, and the poll is as much about people getting snitty about being held accountable than weaseling out of deadlines.

But that's just my read on it.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Khisvir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 am

I work at a bi-weekly newspaper in the graphic design department. The deadline to have Real Estate ads in to be built is 3:00 pm Friday.

The Real Estate Edition has to be at the press at 4:00 the following Wednesday. At 3:00 pm yesterday (Wednesday), the salesperson brings in two full page ads to be built from scratch.

And then she was bewildered when everyone was mad at her.
Khisvir

Re: Conducting a bit of a poll...

Postby Khisvir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:20 am

Guillex wrote:Fixed it. ;)

:lol:

Nope, tweren't me...I'm the fastest one there at getting the work done...which isn't a great thing, honestly, because I get all the hard crap ads to build...
Khisvir

Postby Dorvan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:50 am

Khisvir wrote:

I work at a bi-weekly newspaper in the graphic design department. The deadline to have Real Estate ads in to be built is 3:00 pm Friday.

The Real Estate Edition has to be at the press at 4:00 the following Wednesday. At 3:00 pm yesterday (Wednesday), the salesperson brings in two full page ads to be built from scratch.

And then she was bewildered when everyone was mad at her.

Yep, your perspective came through loud and clear with your questions...if you're just looking for sympathy don't play it off as a random poll. I don't know how things work at your company, but at the jobs I've had, if a marketing guy came to our team at the last minute with a feature request they'd almost always get told "sorry, you know the deadlines, you'll have to wait for the next release"

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Khisvir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:57 am

Dorvan wrote:if you're just looking for sympathy don't play it off as a random poll.

Yeah, I guess I'm still a bit miffed...the the saleswomen is still puzzled as to why we're annoyed at her...

I guess this was just me venting a little...apologies.
Khisvir

Postby Dorvan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Khisvir wrote:
Dorvan wrote:if you're just looking for sympathy don't play it off as a random poll.

Yeah, I guess I'm still a bit miffed...the the saleswomen is still puzzled as to why we're annoyed at her...

I guess this was just me venting a little...apologies.

Oh I totally understand where you're coming from....those few times when management *did* say we had to accommodate of the marketing folks' features even when they screwed up were no picnic.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:43 pm

There's no one answer, short of a hot home-made pie which would work for anyone who isn't a nazi communism who hates the free world and democracy.

I'd be angry if the person didn't provide feedback (or, conversely, I didn't request feedback) if the work was due and not turned in.

I'd be surprised if someone continued the work five days later without anything being said about the work. No meetings? No email? No form of communication? I mean, not even some estranged jargon during a moment of extacy shared after work hours?

I mean, it's one thing to say "Man, I wish we could've had this five days ago, but at least the more pertinent work was finished and we can continue on this project now. At least we could plan around it."

It's another to have to say "We needed this five days ago. It doesn't matter now, we had to go without it and face the reprocutions. Now granny smith is dead and her son will never know the value of a wholesome pie. If I'd known, I could have whipped up a turnover at least."
Elsie

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Next time bake a cake.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Spectrum » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Missing deadlines without warning is generally unacceptable in a business environment. You have to at least have a meeting just before the deadline to tell them you'll miss the deadline. At least, that's how it seems to work with software, and deadlines are really just wewantedtomakeyoustaylate-lines in this business.

I hate salespeople. In general they seem to think everything in the world revolves around them and their sales, then the people who actually get things done have to constantly fight with them over what is actually doable.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Khisvir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:50 pm

Spectrum wrote:I hate salespeople. In general they seem to think everything in the world revolves around them and their sales, then the people who actually get things done have to constantly fight with them over what is actually doable.

This.

Very, very much this.

....apologies if anyone here is actually a salesmen, tho... :wink:
Khisvir

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum