Oh Politics....

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm

By the way, if any of your are disgruntled with both of our choices for 2008, the following is an excellent write in candidate.

http://www.inews3.com/topstory.php?id=2 ... 646d617272

NOTE: I have no idea what she's referring to, with that "behind" stuff at the end.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby QuantumDelta » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 pm

You God Damn Legend
Sig changed accordingly :p
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby roosevelt » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Hankthetank wrote:The president, regardless of party, can only sign or veto bills that are given to him. The power to pass legislation is in Congress. I ask you now, with a Democratically controlled Congress, why have they allowed the super inflation of the price of gas under THEIR watch?

Perhaps from a strictly constitutional point of view you are right. This administration has shat all over the constitution so lets check reality. Signing statements, executive orders, the office of President has a lot more power than it was ever meant to have by the framers of the constitution.

If you're going to sit there and pretend that the republican control of congress and the white house had *nothing* to do with anything bad but as soon as those damned democrats showed up everything went to hell then you're just living in denial and should watch more fox news.

You can't deny that a Republican president and republican majority congress led us into a war without asking us to make any sacrifices and then cut taxes on the wealthiest during said war. We borrow money from China to fund it, and wonder why all these dangerous Chinese products end up here. Our trade deficit and national debt have both gone up since the Clinton administration.

I'll be the first to admit that them dems are pussies. We elected them to GTFO of Iraq and they wouldn't because they feared it might hurt them politically and IMO wanted to "save" the iraq issue to win the presidency. They aren't to blame for most of the shit that's happened mostly because they have been powerless or too scared to do anything.

Please tell me how this is all the Democrats fault. Bonus points if you can link it to gay marriage.
roosevelt

Postby Levantine » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:29 pm

roosevelt wrote:Please tell me how this is all the Democrats fault. Bonus points if you can link it to gay marriage.

I lol'd
Levantine

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:41 pm

roosevelt wrote:They aren't to blame for most of the shit that's happened mostly because they have been powerless or too scared to do anything.

Well I don't want to weigh in on either side, but honestly what you just said is a huge contradiction. Being too scared to do someting or worse, saving the topic to use it as election leverage is disgusting. I can take someone telling me this war and our loss of men/women is justifiable for reason X, even if I might disagree with that reason. But saying that's it's not justifiable, but you are going to wait to do something about it until you can gain a political advantage, is pretty fucking sick.

How can you look that off and say they aren't to blame for any of it?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:47 pm

BTW, for those keeping score at home...I was curious about whether people *ever* RTFA (or in this case WTFV), especially when it comes to politics. You guys did not disappoint :)

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby roosevelt » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Well I don't want to weigh in on either side, but honestly what you just said is a huge contradiction. Being too scared to do someting or worse, saving the topic to use it as election leverage is disgusting. I can take someone telling me this war and our loss of men/women is justifiable for reason X, even if I might disagree with that reason. But saying that's it's not justifiable, but you are going to wait to do something about it until you can gain a political advantage, is pretty fucking sick.

I said they are pussies that didn't do anything. They didn't cause our problems, they failed to fix them. Honestly I don't even think they could have fixed much if they tried, but getting out of Iraq IMO would have been a very good start.

My response was to the idea that everything was fine until the dems took congress, which is outright laughable. The President is often said to be "the most powerful man in the free world" yet the office has very little accountability. W's approval ratings are hovering around 30%. If you're one of the 30% that approves then you have to ask yourself; do you know something the other 70% of us don't?
roosevelt

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:03 pm

roosevelt wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Well I don't want to weigh in on either side, but honestly what you just said is a huge contradiction. Being too scared to do someting or worse, saving the topic to use it as election leverage is disgusting. I can take someone telling me this war and our loss of men/women is justifiable for reason X, even if I might disagree with that reason. But saying that's it's not justifiable, but you are going to wait to do something about it until you can gain a political advantage, is pretty fucking sick.

I said they are pussies that didn't do anything. They didn't cause our problems, they failed to fix them. Honestly I don't even think they could have fixed much if they tried, but getting out of Iraq IMO would have been a very good start.

My response was to the idea that everything was fine until the dems took congress, which is outright laughable. The President is often said to be "the most powerful man in the free world" yet the office has very little accountability. W's approval ratings are hovering around 30%. If you're one of the 30% that approves then you have to ask yourself; do you know something the other 70% of us don't?

Tbh, it's about triple the approval rating of Congress atm. Who's in control of Congress?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby QuantumDelta » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm

lol Dorvan :<
Whenever I enter a thread this late I skim and only really follow the current.
Crai.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Kitsuna » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:58 pm

Dorvan wrote:BTW, for those keeping score at home...I was curious about whether people *ever* RTFA (or in this case WTFV), especially when it comes to politics. You guys did not disappoint :)

I thought I was the only one who watched the barrack roll. Honestly, I thought maybe you changed the link or something part way since nobody even referenced it once.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Thesupreme » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 am

Just nuke it and poor asfalt all over it.

And by it, I don't mean the middle east.
Superman tanks all!

Thesupreme - 70 - Al'Akir - I aint no superman
Thesupreme

Postby Cakes » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:47 am

Thesupreme wrote:Just nuke it and poor asfalt all over it.

And by it, I don't mean the middle east.

I have no idea what you mean by "it."
Cakes

Postby enbee » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:33 am

Hankthetank wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Barak is very good at reading teleprompters.

Fixed. ;)

chaos45 wrote:I was still in college when Bush started to undermine the value of the US dollar, and well 8 years later you can see the effects of this directly with 3-4 dollar a gallon gas.

You know, just two years ago, which would be almost six years after Bush started to "undermine" the country, gas was somehow still at just $1.50/gallon.

Around that same time the Democrats took control of Congress. Since that time, gas has nearly tripled in price. (while some people will debate that, it is far closer to triple price than double price)

The president, regardless of party, can only sign or veto bills that are given to him. The power to pass legislation is in Congress. I ask you now, with a Democratically controlled Congress, why have they allowed the super inflation of the price of gas under THEIR watch?

Clearly the 2 are linked!
And you're not an ignorant hick!
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 am

The big problem that I have with the candidates is as follows:

1.) McCain is old. He is SOOOOOO out of touch with anything that I care about. He has consistently proven it by deciding that drilling is the way to fix the oil problems, talking about the war, and not talking about what affects me. He picked a candidate just for the votes and ideology that she has. She will help sway the P.U.M.A. votes (god those people are scary), and she favors drilling.

2.) Obama is a great speaker, but he is just as ambitious as the next person, and has proven before that he doesn't care about the people that he crushes under foot for his own political gain. . For evidence of this, google Obama's myspace-gate. IF you read that, and don't understand why what he did is just COMPLETELY FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG, you don't understand the net, or why we web developers / webnuts fight for things. If he can do that with a myspace profile, he can do it with WAY more than that once he is in power. He picked an old white man to be his running mate to shake the image that the democratic ticket was a gimmick.

Now that I have aired my issues with both candidates and the problem I have with their running mate choices, let's see what I care about.

I care about getting my friends home. I have friends in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Africa right now. I would like to see the ones needlessly in harms way brought home. I care about getting bin laden, and the rest of al queada(sp?), but past that? Shore up the borders, tell russia to stop being a dick, and make up and play nice with the allies that we alienated.

I care about getting rid of cars that make my life harder. If you want to talk about what's wrong with american manufacturing, look at chrysler. They have the WORST lineup of cars when it comes to fuel economy. Ford is second, and GM is making an 'effort' to hit 30 mpg. Why do I buy foreign? Because Japanese auto makers are making a concious effort to make cars that are more efficient. I have the privilege of driving a Toyota Echo back and forth to work. It's small, cheap on gas, yet I can fit my fam in it for a trip. I get 52 mpg out of it on my commute. That's right FIFTY TWO MILES PER GALLON. So..... 30 MPG from the most 'concious' car manufacturer the US offers, or 40+ from ANY Japanese company? Compare the 'high end' sports cars. RX-8 VS viper or even the SRT-4 Neon Lines. Rx-8 has the fuel economy that the others don't.

Drilling so that we can 'bridge the gap' is not acceptable. If we keep bandaging the situation, we will never get rid of the situation. Drastic change is needed to force us away from our dependence on oil.

The real victim I see in the election is Sarah Palin. I don't know her politics past that she is a popular republican Governor from Alaska that has ideology that helps HER STATE. She met with McCain ONCE long before the talks about VP. She didn't meet with him again until after she was chosen. If McCain and Palin lose the election, She will NEVER SHAKE the stigma that she was McCains bimbo, picked just to help him win the race. It wont matter what her politics are anymore, or how popular she is in alaska, because of her place in history with this election.

(I'm not knocking Palin, just the OBVIOUS reasons that she was chosen.)

==And then we have my passion======

I care about plans that will invest in my future. I care about knowing that the thing that I went to college to to help better (the internet), the thing that should revolutionize communication and information for the WORLD is protected.

I am probably going to sound looney to a lot of people, but it's the reality we live in. The internet as is (not talking about any of the new technology on the horizon) is capable of SOOOO much more for so much less money than what we are currently shelling out.The Problem is, it's not governed by any one entity. The US tries, but shouldn't. Keep it handled by NPO's and groups who work for the betterment of the net for all, and then I will talk about a candidate.

Sadly, the way the choices look now (I can't bring myself to throw away my vote on someone who has no chance in hell) I'm going to be voting for Obama. He may grate my nerves with his polished speeches, his bravado, and his ability to rob an american citizen and not even fell bad, it's better than sacrificing my children's future by letting the repubs eff the economy and environment in the pooch for four more years.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:37 am

enbee wrote:
You know, just two years ago, which would be almost six years after Bush started to "undermine" the country, gas was somehow still at just $1.50/gallon.

I hate to be the one to break it to you...... but..... gas was 3.09 cents a gallon 2 years ago to the day. We haven't seen gas at <$3 a gallon consistently for over 3 years...
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum