Remove Advertisements

Oh Politics....

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Kitsuna wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Joking, I assume. Unless things have drastically changed since last time I watched a news network, noone even comes close to the amount of bias Fox puts on that channel.

Yes and no. Just suggesting that people turn a surprisingly blind eye when the bias is in their favor. When someone spins it the way opposite you believe, it is bias. When they spin it in your direction, they are just "making sense." Savvy?

:shrug: I'm not republican or democrat. I honestly don't care that much. Just watching, say, CNN, it seems like news. Watching Fox News is like watching advertisements.
Invisusira

Postby Kitsuna » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Can we at least agree that these are delicious?

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Levantine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:14 pm

What I want to know is why I can't have that in Australia.
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:18 pm

Levantine wrote:What I want to know is why I can't have that in Australia.

Canada too :(

Stupid Monarchy.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Levantine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:23 pm

*grumbles about the Queen*
Levantine

Postby Invisusira » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:01 pm

Kitsuna wrote:Can we at least agree that these are delicious?

Yes, I can watch adverts for those all day.
Invisusira

Postby Guldylohx » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:46 pm

Kitsuna wrote:Image

<3
Guldylohx

Postby roosevelt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:10 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Did John McCain say he wouldn't go into Pakistan to get him? I must have missed it.

Yes, I believe at one of the republican debates he said he would "respect the sovereignty" of Pakistan, i.e. continue the Bush plan of shoveling them money hand over fist while they refuse to let us hunt down Bin Laden.

moduspwnens wrote:

That's a whole lot of spin. Everything but the first and last sentence isn't relevant to what I said. What I'm saying is that it seems silly to pass a law that, by nature, raises unemployment, and then at the same time, blame it on Bush. You can try to argue whatever other part of the economy is Bush's fault, but it seems silly to criticize him on unemployment.

Lot of spin? Thats my point of view, your spin on things is spin to me. Since you don't seem to get my points please list evidence that unemployment is linked to the minimum wage increase. You seem to think that Bush is immune to ALL criticism on unemployment because of a single change made well after the economy was starting to do poorly. The burden of proof is on you to show how a raise in minimum wage contributed more to unemployment that things Bush did such as the war.
roosevelt

Postby Barathorn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:26 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Barak is very good at performing speeches.

And lets face it, if you don't take notice of someone who can change into a bear then your are well and truly fecked.

Politically wise he just sided with Belgareth I thought?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Cakes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:49 am

I was going to watch Obama speak, but instead I went and cooked myself a nice big dinner of Hope and Dreams.
Cakes

politics

Postby chaos45 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:17 am

At this point we are just now starting to feel the effects of policy that Bush put in when he first came to office. It takes one entire presidential term at least to truly feel the effects of any policy set in effect by our government. Due to the tons of paperwork, and working through all the different chains of offices for anything to actually get done.

I was still in college when Bush started to undermine the value of the US dollar, and well 8 years later you can see the effects of this directly with 3-4 dollar a gallon gas. This was policy directly undertaken by the administration with the overall goal of helping the US economy in the long run. However when they then went about causing a major war which has drug down our economy for around 5 years now and will continue to drag on our economy for years to come the effects compounded even worse as world public opinion of the value of US debt has changed.

Thus today the world see the US ei our currency the dollar worth less than it pretty much ever has been. The world sees other countries begining to get stong enough militarilarly and economically to challenge us and most likely take our place if we dont change our more destructive foreign and economic policies. The US has bleed jobs to foreign countries for years and now we are feeling all of those nasty aftereffects on our society...ei lack of jobs, and a huge national debt due to the fact that we actually make very little here in the US. This most of what we buy as consumers directly increases the US debt to other countries.

Is there an easy fix....not really it took us years if not decades to get to this point. Basically we need to get to the point we can make items here in the US again and employ Americans to do the work and not send our wealth to other countries. Otherwise as is now happening foreign countries will continue to control our economic fate as they do now. If china decided to dump all the US debt its holding our economy would collapse...something to think about ehh.
chaos45

Re: politics

Postby Levantine » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:10 am

chaos45 wrote:At this point we are just now starting to feel the effects of policy that Bush put in when he first came to office. It takes one entire presidential term at least to truly feel the effects of any policy set in effect by our government. Due to the tons of paperwork, and working through all the different chains of offices for anything to actually get done.

I was still in college when Bush started to undermine the value of the US dollar, and well 8 years later you can see the effects of this directly with 3-4 dollar a gallon gas. This was policy directly undertaken by the administration with the overall goal of helping the US economy in the long run. However when they then went about causing a major war which has drug down our economy for around 5 years now and will continue to drag on our economy for years to come the effects compounded even worse as world public opinion of the value of US debt has changed.

Thus today the world see the US ei our currency the dollar worth less than it pretty much ever has been. The world sees other countries begining to get stong enough militarilarly and economically to challenge us and most likely take our place if we dont change our more destructive foreign and economic policies. The US has bleed jobs to foreign countries for years and now we are feeling all of those nasty aftereffects on our society...ei lack of jobs, and a huge national debt due to the fact that we actually make very little here in the US. This most of what we buy as consumers directly increases the US debt to other countries.

Is there an easy fix....not really it took us years if not decades to get to this point. Basically we need to get to the point we can make items here in the US again and employ Americans to do the work and not send our wealth to other countries. Otherwise as is now happening foreign countries will continue to control our economic fate as they do now. If china decided to dump all the US debt its holding our economy would collapse...something to think about ehh.

That, and my Australian dollar is worth almost as much as your American, and there are only 20million of us in the entire country.
Levantine

Postby Erendis » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:17 am

chaos45 wrote:At this point we are just now starting to feel the effects of policy that Bush put in when he first came to office. It takes one entire presidential term at least to truly feel the effects of any policy set in effect by our government. Due to the tons of paperwork, and working through all the different chains of offices for anything to actually get done.

Hmmm, you know what it would take for us to go back to being a manufacturing centered economy? The US consumer would have to be either be willing to pay more for products or to be willing to work for way less. Or, we would have to put extremely high tariffs on foreign goods.

Since we are among the wealthiest people in the world we expect a certain standard of living. Americans demand high wages and low costs. It isn't surprising that we no longer produce goods in the same way we used to. Its no longer economically feasable.

I would like to point out to many naysayers that the US unemployment rate is lower than most other 1st world countries.

I would also like to see what would happen to China if we stopped exporting food to them. We may be in debt but at least we can feed ourselves.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:38 am

Levantine wrote:That, and my Australian dollar is worth almost as much as your American, and there are only 20million of us in the entire country.

And 20 million convicts is a LOT of convicts, the Oz Dollar is always worth lots as there is only actually 300 dollar bills in Oz, they all take turns stealing them from each other, hence keeping the price high.

<3 you really Lev :P
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Levantine » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:39 am

Barathorn wrote:
Levantine wrote:That, and my Australian dollar is worth almost as much as your American, and there are only 20million of us in the entire country.

And 20 million convicts is a LOT of convicts, the Oz Dollar is always worth lots as there is only actually 300 dollar bills in Oz, they all take turns stealing them from each other, hence keeping the price high.

<3 you really Lev :P

=.=
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum