So....how did you pick your toon's name?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Wachter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Im a dork.

Wächter is german for guardian, and i was prot at the time.

shallow and unoriginal pally is shallow and unoriginal.
Ulushnar wrote:If the enemy gets too close, then I whip out the Combat shotgun from 'neath my Kilt.
Wachter

Postby Barristan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Khisvir wrote:I'm a book-whore.

Seriously.

I'll go to a bookstore and buy 10-15 books all in one go...and then do the same thing a week later. Even if I haven't read all the ones I've bought the week before.

I've got books in my house I've owned for years...and have not even read yet. At last count...yes, I did count them one weekend...I had over 1500 novels.

I've got Martin's series, in my "to read pile"...I might have to dig those out with the Richard Adams ones...

And this would be why I name my toons after book characters.

I couldn't recommend RRMartin's books enough, the books in A Song of Ice and Fire are by far favorites of mine. I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series and in my opinion it doesn't compare to ASoIaF, even though they're very good as well.
Barristan

Postby Namaztak » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:32 pm

my last name backwards
Namaztak

Postby guillex » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Barristan wrote:
Khisvir wrote:I'm a book-whore.

Seriously.

I'll go to a bookstore and buy 10-15 books all in one go...and then do the same thing a week later. Even if I haven't read all the ones I've bought the week before.

I've got books in my house I've owned for years...and have not even read yet. At last count...yes, I did count them one weekend...I had over 1500 novels.

I've got Martin's series, in my "to read pile"...I might have to dig those out with the Richard Adams ones...

And this would be why I name my toons after book characters.

I couldn't recommend RRMartin's books enough, the books in A Song of Ice and Fire are by far favorites of mine. I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series and in my opinion it doesn't compare to ASoIaF, even though they're very good as well.

I stopped reading the WoT series after the 8th or 9th novel ... I think Jordan was on too much of a trip for my tastes at that point, though I may have to go back and read them.

What's ASoIaF? =/ May look into it.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Dyrcyn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 pm

I used the name for a Fighter/Cleric back in 2nd Edition AD&D when we were running a long Ravenloft campaign and then again as a cleric in DAoC.

I originally made it up with the desire to make a fantasy sounding name using Y as the only vowel, since that was kinda different... Dyrcyn worked.
Dyrcyn

Postby Seipoc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 pm

i just looked at my scanner, and saw the word "Copies" and reversed it and thus Seipoc lol
Thread killer
Seipoc

Postby Borten » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:18 pm

My pallies name dresden derives from a sci-fi book series and is not very orgianal but one of my favorite names is Borten
which was my warriors name along time back when it was 6am i was brain-dead and wanted a nightelf warrior,
still using it for characters even though i switched horde a long while back hehe :D
another favorite name i like to use is Camber from an old book called Deryni Rising
so i guess in a short version i could say i derive all of my names from lack of sleep or favorite novels :wink:
Borten

Postby Barristan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Guillex wrote:What's ASoIaF? =/ May look into it.

A Song of Ice and Fire, currently a 4 book series by George RR Martin. The 5th book is due out this September.

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows

Truly awesome books, in my opinion.
Barristan

Postby Borten » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 pm

ASoIaF is a truely good series but it is very gritty, a hard to swallow kind of thing if your looking for something upbeat hehe
Borten

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Grehn, now my shaman's name, was my paladin's name a few years ago when I played RO.
Skipjack... well, you'd have to read Digital Fortress to get that one.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Syrcla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:53 am

Barristan wrote:
Baelor wrote:I stole the name "Baelor" from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (also known as A Game of Thrones, which is the name of the first book in the series).

Baelor Targaryen was a former king who brought the 'current' prevalent organized religion to the kingdom. He was a devout man. I liked the way the name looked on paper, and his holy nature transfered to paladin-ism well, so I ran with it.

Cathmor is a name I chose from a Gaelic baby naming site. It means "mighty warrior" in English. I needed to rename from Baelor when I changed servers, as Baelor was taken. If my guild wasn't so used to calling me "Cath" and Baelor wasn't still unavailable, though, I'd pay to swap back to Baelor as my name in a heartbeat. I was sort of attached to that name.

Names of other characters are generally stolen from Martin's book series as well.
Jhogo (Tauren Druid) - Jhogo was the name of a character who was a member of a Native American-like society. The Tauren draw on those themes, so I nabbed it. I wanted Drogo, but that was taken.

Rhaegal (Orc Hunter) - Taken from Rhaegar Targaryen, a prince in line for the throne who was murdered before his ascension to kingship, his sister Daenerys named one of her pet dragons Rhaegal. I thought it sounded cool, and slightly resembled Cho'gall, an Orc Warlock in the Warcraft lore. So, Rhaegal was reserved for any Orc characters I rolled, since it sounds vaguely Orcish.

Both Jhogo and Rhaegal are less than level 20, but I like their names.

Full of win.

A Song of Ice and Fire is truly amazing.

I've already had these books recommended to me from some friends...guess I better look for them more!

As for names, I usually stare at the character ocne I've gotten the looks down and just think.

Salamando (shaman) is the only name I have borrowed from anywhere. I kind of pride myself in making up original names. I have a few characters that only show up once in armory. :D
Syrcla

Postby Joren » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:55 am

Syrcla wrote:
Barristan wrote:
Baelor wrote:I stole the name "Baelor" from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (also known as A Game of Thrones, which is the name of the first book in the series).

Full of win.

I've already had these books recommended to me from some friends...guess I better look for them more!

Stop recommending those books, it's full of evile like Cola and Hasbro.

I've been recommended by 10+ people this far and now my GF is reading them, atm. in the second book. By the name of the light, how can I eventually keep avoiding reading them?
Joren

Postby Barristan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 am

Joren wrote:
Syrcla wrote:
Barristan wrote:

Full of win.

Stop recommending those books, it's full of evile like Cola and Hasbro.

I've been recommended by 10+ people this far and now my GF is reading them, atm. in the second book. By the name of the light, how can I eventually keep avoiding reading them?

Give in!
Barristan

Postby Targonis » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:04 am

Original Everquest Beta Random Name Generator.

Kept it ever since.
Targonis

Postby Hankthetank » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:40 am

Frankthetank was already taken, and Hank was the only 5-letter-or-lower name I could think of that ended in -ank

On a side note, there are 4 pages of Hankthetank in the US Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/search.xml?sea ... characters
Hankthetank

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum