So....how did you pick your toon's name?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 am

Guillex wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:And Bara, I play RPGs since my 6th grade, I think that was...1999?

Not as old as Bara, but you're still a nub. I graduated high school, and was moving on to college in '99. :P

you're a youngin' LOL. (I graduated in 97 LOL)
Shoju

Postby Baelor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:43 am

I stole the name "Baelor" from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (also known as A Game of Thrones, which is the name of the first book in the series).

Baelor Targaryen was a former king who brought the 'current' prevalent organized religion to the kingdom. He was a devout man. I liked the way the name looked on paper, and his holy nature transfered to paladin-ism well, so I ran with it.

Cathmor is a name I chose from a Gaelic baby naming site. It means "mighty warrior" in English. I needed to rename from Baelor when I changed servers, as Baelor was taken. If my guild wasn't so used to calling me "Cath" and Baelor wasn't still unavailable, though, I'd pay to swap back to Baelor as my name in a heartbeat. I was sort of attached to that name.

Names of other characters are generally stolen from Martin's book series as well.
Jhogo (Tauren Druid) - Jhogo was the name of a character who was a member of a Native American-like society. The Tauren draw on those themes, so I nabbed it. I wanted Drogo, but that was taken.

Rhaegal (Orc Hunter) - Taken from Rhaegar Targaryen, a prince in line for the throne who was murdered before his ascension to kingship, his sister Daenerys named one of her pet dragons Rhaegal. I thought it sounded cool, and slightly resembled Cho'gall, an Orc Warlock in the Warcraft lore. So, Rhaegal was reserved for any Orc characters I rolled, since it sounds vaguely Orcish.

Both Jhogo and Rhaegal are less than level 20, but I like their names.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby RagingEpistaxis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 am

Pah. I'd been out of Vet school and in practice for 5 years in '99...

Characters?
Kataklism - Draenei pally - I wanted an AoE pally, and imagined the scene with someone comes across a pile of bodies and says 'What cataclysm happened here?' but that spelling was already taken
Rhus - Nelf Druid -When I studied botany in college, Genus name for poison ivy. Now apparently changed to Toxicodendron... which does nothing for me as a character name.
Stabini - Gnome Rogue - 'nuff said
Nimüe - Draenei Shammy - named after Merlin's seductress/mistress/wife/murderer depending on which Arthurian tale you read
Timn - Draenei Mage - named after the Great and Powerful Enchanter of Pythonian legend
The rest are randomly generated or unremarkable.
Last edited by RagingEpistaxis on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingEpistaxis

Postby Benihime » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:46 am

Benihime is the name of a sword in Bleach. It translates roughly to something like "crimson princess" and I thought the crimson part went well with blood elf, and my toon is a girl, so there's the princess. And the sword did something like make a shield when the owner bled... so shield = paladin.
Benihime

Postby Nottebella » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am

I just started thinking of random lines and plugging them into babelfish and came up with "Beautiful Night" in Italian - Nottebella.
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn
Nottebella

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 am

Nottebella wrote:I just started thinking of random lines and plugging them into babelfish and came up with "Beautiful Night" in Italian - Nottebella.

Oh this is the night, it's a beautiful night
And we call it bella notte
Look at the skies, they have stars in their eyes
On this lovely bella notte.
Side by side with your loved one,
You'll find enchantment here.
The night will weave its magic spell,
When the one you love is near!
Oh this is the night, and the heavens are right!
On this lovely bella notte!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Meliora » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Benihime wrote:Benihime is the name of a sword in Bleach. It translates roughly to something like "crimson princess" and I thought the crimson part went well with blood elf, and my toon is a girl, so there's the princess. And the sword did something like make a shield when the owner bled... so shield = paladin.

Win!

My naming choices are pretty limited, just kept making alts that had Mel in it. Melons, Meliora, Melting, Meliority, etc.
Meliora

Postby Tunnis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Tunnis - swedish slang for thin. Thought the guy looked thin when I made him.
Triclosan, my mage - Triclosan is a chemical used to kill bacteria/germs :twisted:
Thionyl, my rogue - From Thionyl chloride, an inorganic compound that is invisible, or atleast colorless. Thought that would be a good name for a rogue.
Tunnis

Postby Melathys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:40 pm

one of these days I'll come across someone who's read the books my wow names are from, lol.

Oddly, there is a shit ton of Shardik names across the servers, but very few Melathys.

*edit.

now that I think about it. It may be because Stephen King had an obscure reference to Shardik in his Gunslinger books, not necessarily because all those people read the book by Richard Adams.
Melathys

Postby Garstone » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Garstone is an amalgamation of my old D&D Dwarf warrior priests name.

Gareth Shatterstone didnt work for WoW so I just combined the two :D
Garstone

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Melathys wrote:one of these days I'll come across someone who's read the books my wow names are from, lol.

Oddly, there is a shit ton of Shardik names across the servers, but very few Melathys.

*edit.

now that I think about it. It may be because Stephen King had an obscure reference to Shardik in his Gunslinger books, not necessarily because all those people read the book by Richard Adams.
My mage(currently retired at an op level of 40) is named after you.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Khisvir » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Melathys wrote:one of these days I'll come across someone who's read the books my wow names are from, lol.

*edit.

Read Shardik and The Plague Dogs looooong time ago...might have to go hunting through my storage locker to find those now. Only thing I can remember from Shardik is the scene at the beginning with the bear fighting the fire.

Thanks for the memory bump.
Space for rent - reasonable rates
Khisvir

Postby Barristan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Baelor wrote:I stole the name "Baelor" from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (also known as A Game of Thrones, which is the name of the first book in the series).

Baelor Targaryen was a former king who brought the 'current' prevalent organized religion to the kingdom. He was a devout man. I liked the way the name looked on paper, and his holy nature transfered to paladin-ism well, so I ran with it.

Cathmor is a name I chose from a Gaelic baby naming site. It means "mighty warrior" in English. I needed to rename from Baelor when I changed servers, as Baelor was taken. If my guild wasn't so used to calling me "Cath" and Baelor wasn't still unavailable, though, I'd pay to swap back to Baelor as my name in a heartbeat. I was sort of attached to that name.

Names of other characters are generally stolen from Martin's book series as well.
Jhogo (Tauren Druid) - Jhogo was the name of a character who was a member of a Native American-like society. The Tauren draw on those themes, so I nabbed it. I wanted Drogo, but that was taken.

Rhaegal (Orc Hunter) - Taken from Rhaegar Targaryen, a prince in line for the throne who was murdered before his ascension to kingship, his sister Daenerys named one of her pet dragons Rhaegal. I thought it sounded cool, and slightly resembled Cho'gall, an Orc Warlock in the Warcraft lore. So, Rhaegal was reserved for any Orc characters I rolled, since it sounds vaguely Orcish.

Both Jhogo and Rhaegal are less than level 20, but I like their names.

Full of win.

A Song of Ice and Fire is truly amazing.
Barristan

Postby Melathys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:18 pm

I just started reading a Game of Thrones a few days ago.

and yep, bear fighting the fire,thats the book. Plague Dogs was pretty good too. I might have to browse through Watership Down for some names. :wink:

My mage(currently retired at an op level of 40) is named after you

<3
Melathys

Postby Khisvir » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm a book-whore.

Seriously.

I'll go to a bookstore and buy 10-15 books all in one go...and then do the same thing a week later. Even if I haven't read all the ones I've bought the week before.

I've got books in my house I've owned for years...and have not even read yet. At last count...yes, I did count them one weekend...I had over 1500 novels.

I've got Martin's series, in my "to read pile"...I might have to dig those out with the Richard Adams ones...

And this would be why I name my toons after book characters.
Space for rent - reasonable rates
Khisvir

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum