So....how did you pick your toon's name?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Chanticleer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:45 am

Touffu - I had wanted to play a cow/cat for a long time, and since 'fluffy' on an american server would be too obvious, I went back to my french roots.

Tartuffe - stuck with the french theme, and I'd just done a production of the play about a corrupt priest a few months before. Seemed perfect for a face-melter.

Coppelius - I originally took my warlock's name from the title character of Mozart's Idomeneo... until around level 5 when someone realized the name starts with "I do men". deleted and re-rolled for a different sort of mad hedge wizard and recalled this old legend that is one of my favorite ballets.

And finally Chanticleer was made famous by Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. I figure, who better than a vain rooster for a tankadin? The whole point of our class is to constantly surround ourselves with swarms of mobs, demanding attention whilst the rest of the group rains aoe fury from max ranged obscurity.
Chanticleer

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:47 am

Candiru wrote:I looked on wikipedia for good names of parasites since a Blood Knight was leaching the light from Mu'ru etc.

Candiru it was! :)
a VERY nasty fish at that, you picked.

And in a male belf...

must...resist...gay jokes....

And Warrender, you made me remember my golden D&D year, when third edition was launched and my group participated in the most successfully played war scene I can remember.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 am

Snake-Aes wrote:And Warrender, you made me remember my golden D&D year, when third edition was launched and my group participated in the most successfully played war scene I can remember.

3rd Edition? Pfffft.

Red box is all I say to you young man, RED BOX!!!!!!!

Slightly OT, is 4th Ed any good?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:47 am

http://lorelol.ytmnd.com

But for a more interesting story, I try to keep single-syllable names (or names that are easily shortened to a single syllable). For whatever reason I've always found myself to grow more attached to characters named that way. My four 70s are Lore, Sledge, Clutch, and Cor.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aldonza » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:47 am

I usually make up my character names from what I think will sound good. I play alot of pen and paper games with my friends still, so finding the right name is a must for me for any character in any game.

Aldonza - I actually named this character after my best friend's paladin Eldonza (whom he had misspelled the original name). He decided that he wanted to name his paladin after the whore in Man of La Mancha. As he no longer plays, my paladin was originally created in homage to his.

Alynia - I originally pieced the sounds together for this name for a wanna-be Arcane Trickster in a D&D game. When I started playing WoW, I made a NE Priest and decided to re-use the name.

Shadela - My standard hunter name. I think this was courtesy of the RNG.

Kallindra - I loved this name from Might and Magic 4 & 5, better known as World of Xeen. I think it has a very eloquent air to it, and I found it apt to be the name of my Undead Priest.

Xoritia - A name I pieced together for a character in a story that I share with my warlocks because it sounds appropriately tied to demonic stuff.

Rayill - A name I hammered out on my keyboard for SWG back in the day. I have yet to find anyone truly worthy of passing the name on to yet.

Kinadvenia - One of my favorites. I can't recall how I made this name back in EQ days, but I've yet to find a class suitable enough to re-use this for. Maybe DK will work for it, but I find it very ominous and foreboding.
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:58 am

Lore wrote:http://lorelol.ytmnd.com

But for a more interesting story, I try to keep single-syllable names (or names that are easily shortened to a single syllable). For whatever reason I've always found myself to grow more attached to characters named that way. My four 70s are Lore, Sledge, Clutch, and Cor.
Mah GM is called "Ab", and just to make it funnier my DK will be called Eb.
Chiv - tankadin
Eb - future blood-unholy(I think) pewpewdk
Aelaris(yay rng being good) - rogue and farmwhore
Alhanna(named after Alihanna, Nature goddess in a national rpg) - warlock(LOL) and farmwhore 2.0

And Bara, I play RPGs since my 6th grade, I think that was...1999?
I started with Gurps Cyberpunk( i know... i know... ) and absolutely loved it. I was then introduced to AD&D and D&D 3E. Haven't checked 4E yet, but i've heard it's much faster.
I am absolutely dishaertened they removed monks though. said war scene I played a monk and absolutely rocked on both regular combat and strategical strikes. The whole sustainability of being melee + not generating attacks of opportunity when moving at OP speeds make it really enduring for a long battle.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Yadard » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am

Yadard originates from P&P too. Was my first ever character (in ICE's MERP). I poked about in the back of RotK with the Elvish script thing and got a rough transposition of my own name.

Oh and 1999?

Newbie.

We have people in my raid group who were borne nearly 10 year after I first created Yadard.

:wink:

BTW, if you like P&P and can find a copy then try SLA Industries.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby Gerilith » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:07 am

DaoC name generator.

All the other names of my toons are generated by myself, though.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:11 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
And Bara, I play RPGs since my 6th grade, I think that was...1999?
I started with Gurps Cyberpunk( i know... i know... ) and absolutely loved it. I was then introduced to AD&D and D&D 3E. Haven't checked 4E yet, but i've heard it's much faster.
I am absolutely dishaertened they removed monks though. said war scene I played a monk and absolutely rocked on both regular combat and strategical strikes. The whole sustainability of being melee + not generating attacks of opportunity when moving at OP speeds make it really enduring for a long battle.

They haven't removed Monks, they just haven't put them in yet.
A lot of the 4th Edition looks to be series of smaller books.
I expect Monks, Druids and Barbarians to be in a second PHB somewhere down the line.

I started D&D a few years back when I friend of mine came back from a bike trip across country with a 3rd ed box set. I chose to play a Paladin because I play Paladins whenever I can and he asked me to make up a back story and name.

The name I chose was Griswold Dragonbane.
Griswold was kind of a nod to Diablo and Dragonbane was chosen based on the backstory I made up.

Strangely enough, after reading my backstory my friend gave me a book
"Legend of Huma". My friend was a big fan of Dragonlance.

Oddly enough the story of Huma was very close to the backstory I came up with for my character, though the Silver Dragon in my story was male and there was obviously not a "love story" arc to it.

I modified my name to Dragonsbane as it sounded slightly better to me and I picked "Dragonzbane" because of course "Dragonsbane" was taken back in '05.
Dragonzbane

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 am

SHOJU
---------
Well..... Before coming to wow, I had been a fairly successful CCG gamer in a game called Legend of the Five Rings. (you should check it out, it's an awesome story, and tournaments decide the story). The game is high fantasy based on fuedal asia.

So, me and a RLF were long time Scorpion players. they were the decietful, underhanded, Denizens of the shadows who would perform the tasks for their emperor that no one else would dare tackle because it would tarnish their honor. They held secrets on EVERYONE, and would dishonor you if it would advance their political ideals.

Their champion (lord of the clan) at one point was Bayushi Shoju. Their is no other way to put it, he was a BADASS. he was a tactical master, cunning, ruthless, and married to the HOTTEST artwork I have ever seen. (I know that was geeky), but check her out

He found a prophecy that said the last of the imperial line was going to be the doom of the empire. THinking only for the good and survival of the land, he assaulted the capital and sought to slay the emperor. after a massive battle and siege, he and the clan were defeated, and he was slain for his treachery.

He was raised from the dead using an ancient and evil spell, and was undead for a bit. Since he was my favorite character, and the Scorpion were the underhanded ninnja, and he had spent some time as undead, it just seemed to fit.

Sunetra
-----------
So, I'm not going to lie, I tried every PVP server to see if I could make a paladin with the name Kachiko. Sadly, I couldn't. My paladin is the name of a more current champion/ninja from the clan, (same game) who was all about rooting the inner evil out of the clan. I thought that it was a stellar name for a paladin.

I have tons of alts named from the game. I have the current Dark Lord of the Shadowlands (ultimate evil in the land) as my bank alt, and another scorpion dude who always died (seriously, he died ALL the time, and no one knows how he came back) as a twink undead rogue.
Shoju

Postby Balbanes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 am

Took my paladin's name (and several other characters) from some characters in Final Fantasy Tactics from the PS1. It wasn't released in the EU so I'd figured some of names wouldn't be taken.
Balbanes

Postby Khisvir » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:52 am

Maverick13 wrote:
Khisvir wrote:
Spectrum wrote:
Yes...this is why I pick the more obscure book characters...there's probably a million dwarves in the game with variations on "Gimli", for example...

If you're on a release server you'd be surprised how many people know your "obscure" references.

I've yet to find anyone who knows where my Rogue's name "Tirilen" comes from.

Wouldn't be from Roger Taylor's "Call of the Sword" by anychance great book btw if it is

Yep...my favourite author and favourite series.
Space for rent - reasonable rates
Khisvir

Postby Manius » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:29 am

Banethir (Mage) - Sprung to my mind amidst an angelic choir. I've had my doubts about it, but everyone I know in WoW shortens it to "Bane". Which is badass.
Sergius (Rogue) - Name of a character I play in a P&P RPG (Gurps, historical Roman).
Manius (Paladin) - A masculine Roman praenomen (a pattern emerges), supposedly means "Morning". Oh hai, Lathander reference. All hail the Morning Lord.
Manius

Postby guillex » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:15 am

Snake-Aes wrote:And Bara, I play RPGs since my 6th grade, I think that was...1999?

Not as old as Bara, but you're still a nub. I graduated high school, and was moving on to college in '99. :P
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Mcgrumpy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 am

My rogue's name is Mcgarrett. It's a long story, but if you've ever seen the movie The Tao of Steve, then you get the reference. He's a Steve.

This was immediately shortened to McG by everyone in the universe, hence my hunter's name Mcg.

To know me is to tolerate me. Hence a good friend of mine named Horacio, called me Mcgrumpy once, and within a day my tankadin was born.

Now's he changed it Mcgrouchy. I don't what class to use for that name.

My druid's name was kind of a joke. I've always thought the name Pussy Galore was so over the top, that I couldn't believe anyone would actually use it. Since druids can be so many different animals, Fluffygalore seemed hilarious and just close enough to the original that people would look twice. I get a lot of compliments on her name.
Mcgrumpy

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum