So....how did you pick your toon's name?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Levantine » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 am

WTB Gender changes in game so I can name Rin Nynaeve instead.
Levantine

Postby phaqueue » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:28 am

I have a ton of toons i've named so far... so this might get a little long... starting from the beginning :)

Fourfivetwo (gnome rogue): reference to the James Cameron series Dark Angel - the main character (played by Jessica Alba) has the designation x5-452. and so my name was born.

Fearwardbot (Dwarf Priest): pretty self-explanatory - was rolled back when only dwarf priests could fear ward.

then for a while I had a group of characters all named along the gimmick of the phrase "Pha Queue" (pronounced FA - Q for those who don't know)

Was a great joke - had a rogue named phaqueue, my shaman was named phaqueuetoo.
when my shaman got reported (got all the way to 70 first tho :)) I changed the name to "Uptight" which seems to have worked well so far.

Since then I've started using nice little 1-word descriptions for my toon names:

Uptight (Draenei Shaman)
Failing (Dwarf Warrior) - definitely one of my favorites... "The tank is failing!"
also have a tauren warrior named "Crushed"

like I said - this got a little long - cause I'm bored at work.
phaqueue

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:08 am

Levantine wrote:WTB Gender changes in game so I can name Rin Nynaeve instead.
ANother game I played had gender changed in exchange for 3 days off your pack(you could buy days of gaming just like you do in wow). Think I've "paid" like 2 weeks to that.

And it'd make sense here, I guess... People always regret their shit.
I know I'm happy my belf is what it is, and sad that my warlock isn't male just for kicks.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lookit » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:49 pm

The online game I played before coming to WoW was called Kingdom of Loathing, which is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek MMO-lite. One of the character classes in the game is the Turtle Tamer (as well as the Pastamancer, Disco Bandit, you see where this is going). The avatar for Turtle Tamers is a stick figure proudly holding aloft a little turtle, so I named him "Lookit this turtle I tamed". I ended up playing the game quite a bit, and so all my friends called me Lookit (or Lt. Tit - just look at the initials).

When some of my KoL friends started playing WoW, it was only natural that I'd choose the name I was well known by, and thus you have Lookit the paladin. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably pick something less silly, but I'm very fond of the name so a paid name change would never be something I'd consider.
Lookit

Postby Lookit » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Baelor wrote:Wait, wait wait wait. A Dance with Dragons is hitting shelves in September? WHY WASN'T I INFORMED?
EDIT: I can't find this release date listed anywhere besides Amazon - not on GRRM's website, not on fansites... one fansite went so far as to say that the 9/30 date on Amazon is blatantly false. Barristan, back up your claim! I crave more info.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duke-Nukem-Fore ... B00005NCEZ

Amazon says that Duke Nukem Forever is coming out in November 2008. Which is to say, Amazon has to fill in the Release Date field with *something*, so they just make up a date until an actual release date is made available.

You have to laugh though at the above link's insistance that "Duke Nukem Forever will be released on November 30, 2008. Preorder your copy today!"

Riiiiight.
Lookit

Postby DarkerFate » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:20 pm

My Paladin is called Darkerfate, which is what I've been using as a nick for the last 7 years. And originally, I had a character in Diablo2 called DarkerFate. I played it only on Hardcore, so that one outlived all my other toons.

My Druid, my longest living WoW character and first and only 70 so far, is named Tyraan. I never intended to play a tauren, but I found it funny to name one Tyraan, playing with the word Tyrant. Being horde and all, before I got deep into the lore of the game that is.
DarkerFate

Postby halabar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Name of old D&D character.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby astole » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 pm

well, i hit randomize... and if i like, i change a letter or two, like what i did with this... if i don't like it.. i do it again =]
astole

Postby SSJPred » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:56 pm

When Horde was first able to roll a pally.. My buddy was like.. They have a hairstyle that makes them look like Super Saijins ... soo we did a SSJ movement.. and Pred because all my other characters have Pred in them..

Favorite movie.. Predator..
SSJPred

Postby Andurin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:17 am

My priest's name (Amoonsing) comes from a random name generator about 5 years ago :lol: It was for a night elf at first... but it has become a human now lol...

My paladin Andurin is just a general nickname that I use after seeing Lord of the Rings 3 for the first time... I love the sword and was stupid enough not to remember the correct name :mrgreen: *this one is better anyway :twisted: *
Andurin

Postby Ruex » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:24 am

Was a great joke - had a rogue named phaqueue, my shaman was named phaqueuetoo.
when my shaman got reported (got all the way to 70 first tho ) I changed the name to "Uptight" which seems to have worked well so far.

Should have said you were Vietnamese. I knew a guy growing up who was named Phong phoc hu tu.

No word of a Lie.

Postby bjorn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:16 am

Guillex wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:And Bara, I play RPGs since my 6th grade, I think that was...1999?

Not as old as Bara, but you're still a nub. I graduated high school, and was moving on to college in '99. :P

Wow, feeling old. In '99 I was in 30's and preparing databases for the whole y2k disaster. What a letdown that was.

But as with so many others I am also the product of a warped youth playing d&d. 1977, ahh, good times. Star Wars was in the theaters all year long it seemed and I was there at least a dozen times. I also stumbled on a really cool game called d&d. The first ad&d book had just been released, The Monster Manual. It didn't make much sense until I borrowed a friends copy of the original boxed set. How much would that be worth now.

The first character I can remember the name of was Jotun. Meaning Giant from Norse myth. I kinda wanted a paladin and rolled a very high strength but very low charisma, so I moved some int over to wis and made him a cleric since we needed a healer anyway. With the high Str and low Int, I modeled him after Lennie in "Of Mice and Men" He became the big, slow, gentle giant who wanders off and tries to heal birds and rabbits and such if someone isn't watching him. Good character.

Ever since, names have always meant a lot to me. The name always has to fit, and most often comes from old Norse names or myth. Though sometimes from Latin or elsewhere. It has to fit the race too after all.

Esbjorn means "God's Bear". Seemed just right for a Dwarven Pally Tank.
Lumenon, well lumen is Latin for light. Seemed right for a priest and was planning on keeping him holy but the guild needed a shadow priest. hmmph. Oh well. I like Esbjorn better.
ImageImage
bjorn

Postby Richter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 am

Richter = judge in german.
Richter

Postby Equitas » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:19 am

Vicodin = Painmeds,
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Khisvir » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:03 am

Levantine wrote:WTB Gender changes in game so I can name Rin Nynaeve instead.

You'll need to change hairstyles so that you have a long braid you can pull on lots...
Space for rent - reasonable rates
Khisvir

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum