So....how did you pick your toon's name?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Barristan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:37 pm

Baelor wrote:Wait, wait wait wait. A Dance with Dragons is hitting shelves in September? WHY WASN'T I INFORMED?
EDIT: I can't find this release date listed anywhere besides Amazon - not on GRRM's website, not on fansites... one fansite went so far as to say that the 9/30 date on Amazon is blatantly false. Barristan, back up your claim! I crave more info.

And for the record, Nymeros (another poster on these boards) stole his name from that book series as well. Nymeria (sp? Quoting from memory...) is the name of one of the main character's pet wolf.

For anyone who has heard of the series and has not read it for whatever reason, just do it. I'm normally not a fantasy novel fan, but this series has me hooked like a fish. An event in A Storm of Swords made me hurl my book across the room - that's how into it I was/am. Guillex, Joren, and everyone else on the fence: buy A Game of Thrones and read it. If you're not at least mildy entertained by the end of the book, I'll eat my hat.

Its just what I've heard from multiple people who have read the book. If its wrong then I'll be very sad. :(
Barristan

Postby antoine » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Barristan wrote:
Baelor wrote:Wait, wait wait wait. A Dance with Dragons is hitting shelves in September? WHY WASN'T I INFORMED?
EDIT: I can't find this release date listed anywhere besides Amazon - not on GRRM's website, not on fansites... one fansite went so far as to say that the 9/30 date on Amazon is blatantly false. Barristan, back up your claim! I crave more info.

And for the record, Nymeros (another poster on these boards) stole his name from that book series as well. Nymeria (sp? Quoting from memory...) is the name of one of the main character's pet wolf.

For anyone who has heard of the series and has not read it for whatever reason, just do it. I'm normally not a fantasy novel fan, but this series has me hooked like a fish. An event in A Storm of Swords made me hurl my book across the room - that's how into it I was/am. Guillex, Joren, and everyone else on the fence: buy A Game of Thrones and read it. If you're not at least mildy entertained by the end of the book, I'll eat my hat.

Its just what I've heard from multiple people who have read the book. If its wrong then I'll be very sad. :(

I pulled it up on Barnes and Nobles: Pub. Date: September 2008

Oh, and to stay on topic: Straight translation of my own name.
antoine

Postby Paladinbrite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm

My druid was originally named Oberyn, changed to Daeneerys on a transfer.

Paladinbrite fights for right, sounded funny when I made it.
Paladinbrite

Postby Opeo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Let's just say...I played a lot of Katamari Damacy...
Opeo

Postby Arnock » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:26 pm

My first toon's name, atheas, human mage, came from adeas off of the name generator. thought it sounded rather heroic,

Arnock came from a guest character off the show Remmington steele. He was funny and i thought the name sounded kinda cool.

the only "original" names I have, are a level 10ish drood named craobh, which means tree in old scottish/gaelic according to wikipedia. and Thorohk, which is an orc shaman who Just kinda thought up on the spot
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Enasnimi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:00 pm

My NE hunter is named Iminsane ( one has to be to make a NE hunter after being Horde for so long) . my pally's name is just the hunters name backwards -- Enasnimi
Enasnimi

Postby Stupendous » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I picked my name because it is what it is. Can't beat Stupendous.
Stupendous

Postby Wachter » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
Baelor wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
Kaedyn wrote:lol awesome.. lets be frænds! :D

He's probably your ænemy

/fæcpalm

I will banish you both to the æther, I swær.

Plaese spære me!
/bæg

Fixt.

more fixterer
Ulushnar wrote:If the enemy gets too close, then I whip out the Combat shotgun from 'neath my Kilt.
Wachter

Postby DarkFerret » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:58 pm

My 'joke' name characters were all server transfers that were born out of boredom on PvP servers. Characters born on PvE realms actually had some thought put into their names.

PvE
Mordrea - Mordred was taken, so I tried to feminize it. Mage
Rithera - Was looking for something that sounded like "wither." Warlock

PvP
Plaything - Bored of PvE, rolled a warrior to semi-twink, and was to be my "plaything" when PvE was getting to me. Warrior
Wonderthighs - Was going for a dwarf named Thunderthighs, but it's too long and I hate dropping letters to make names fit. Wonder sounded appropriate for what paladin's are capable of ... (I've since encountered a female dwarf warrior named 'Sunderthighs'). Been looking to shorten it to just 'Wonder,' but the name is currently in use =\ Paladin
Jinjaa - The exception. Born while I was in Iraq, and had a little obsession over a girl named Ginger. For whatever reason, I decided to make her a troll, and "trollized" the name to my tastes. Rogue
I can't talk on Vent because my master won't remove the ball-gag until it's time for my spanking.
DarkFerret

Postby Damiun » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 am

its what i am. i am a punchingbag :)
Damiun

Postby guillex » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:14 am

Just made a rogue ... and followed the mythological items list on Wikipedia that someone else posted.

Ended up being Caledwlch (as Caladbolg couldn't be used) ... And it's the Gaelic equivalent to Excalibur, pretty much.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Losbullitt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:33 am

My nickname plus my car - 2001 Mustang Bullitt
Losbullitt

Postby shade » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:58 am

Well first my pally was a ret twink i didn't really like him, or intend to level him so i went fro Humongloid jsut to have fun on BG's @ lvl 19, but i got bored and started lvlin' him so once in raid getting called humonlgoid often enough, I changed it to Canadin to represent the maple lovers of the north
One to be born from a Dragon.....
shade

Postby Baelor » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 am

Melathys wrote:

I can tell you that having the same/similar name in a book doesn't necessarily mean the person has read the book. I played FFXI with someone named Rand. To him, it was just a random name, and for the first few months had no idea what people were talking about when people would whisper him with random Wheel of Time quotes.

I've had conversations with Nymeros about it. He did pull his name from Martin's book.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Melathys » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:15 am

wasn't saying that he did or didn't, was more making the point that sometimes people pick a name and they have no idea that its a major character from a popular fantasy novel, lol.
Melathys

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum