Getting past 3 chests

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Getting past 3 chests

Postby vutharic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:29 am

My guild currently has gotten 3 chests with 3 minutes to spair on the 4th.

our path
-Run down and mount up on a patch of grass and pull eagle trash
-pull tempest. aoe trash and tempest.
-Pull eagle
-Mount up, leave the chest and go to bear.
-Chain pull the pulls until bear.
-Mana up
-Pull bear.
-Mount up leave chest.
-Start pulls on dragonhawk trash ( this is were we kinda slow down because the resto druid is a bit slow at pulling.)
-Down dragonhawk.

The guild is not t6 geared so keep that into account we are only 2/6 ssc but we have alot of badge and za gear. is it possible to add some time on that timer and how much time is needed to add on to get the bear mount. we can 1 shot all bosses, with the exception of hexlord.

Also we run with 3 healers 2 tanks and 5 dps
4/6 ssc 3/4 tk 5/5 hyjal 5/9 bt - personal progression
to see my progression and some how to videos with a paladin tank
http://www.youtube.com/user/haws217
vutharic

Location: Underground lair, planning what evil things im gonna do to naj and akama....

Postby palouf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:48 am

Usually for thr time event, lot of guild do it with an OT/dps ( feral druud ) and one of the healers who can do some damage too in light healing encounters/trash ( Disc-Holy priest or Resto-Elemental Shammy ).

So which class are your tanks and your healers ? And whats the compo of your dps group ?
palouf

Postby Lookit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:59 am

Without any T6 dps in the group, I think you'll have a very hard time getting the 4th timer with 3 healers. If you want to make a serious attempt, I would replace the weakest healer with a strong DPS.

You mentioned the druid is slow to pull on the dragonhawk trash, which is something you'll have to discuss with him. For trash pulls, there should never be any waiting on mana between pulls - every mana user needs to come with a fat stack of mana pots for trash, and the only time to really eat/drink is for a few seconds before bosses as necessary.

To shave off a bit of time here and there: on the first double-bear pack of Nalorakk's trash, the druid can Soothe the nearest bear and let everyone run by them, hugging the wall.

On Dragonhawk trash, make sure to tell people that it's *everyone's* responsiblity to keep an eye out for scouts, in front and in the back. The second a scout appears, someone should announce it on vent and the raid leader can decide how to handle it (raid move forward to let it pass by, root and kill it, whatever the situation calls for.)

On Lynx trash, the first 2 croc/beast tamer pull can be skipped by waterwalking on the lake.

In the Lynx's room, be sure to grab the pat when it is near, even if you're in the middle of fighting one of the packs. They don't hit very hard and don't have any annoying abilities, so they can easily be pulled into the current pack and AOE tanked. But having to wait 1 minute to pull them because they are too close to the boss when you could have pulled them earlier is a heartbreaking way to miss out on the 4th timer.

Good luck, and have fun :D
Lookit

Postby vutharic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:16 am

@palouf - Our group makeup looks like this

Warrior-prot
Paladin-Prot

Rogue
Rogue
Hunter
Elemental shaman
Mage

Priest
Paladin
Druid

@Lookit - Thanks for the advice, am i looking for a specific dps or will any dps do? i was thinking maybe a fury warrior or a warlock.
4/6 ssc 3/4 tk 5/5 hyjal 5/9 bt - personal progression
to see my progression and some how to videos with a paladin tank
http://www.youtube.com/user/haws217
vutharic

Location: Underground lair, planning what evil things im gonna do to naj and akama....

Postby Canuun » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 pm

A boomkin with good resto gear or a resto with good boomkin gear can DPS for trash and at least eagle, while healing on bosses that need it. Also, any time you have to stop and drink is bad. Chain pots, especially if you aren't in t6. The warrior tanking as fury would also help, as long as he has the gear to support it. Once you get 3, getting 4 is all about minimizing downtime. Full consumables and potting every cooldown really make a difference. Without t6 gear it will require everyone to be playing at their max the whole run, but should still be possible.

Edit: Also, when doing lynx trash. If you use the shortcut through the hut, and pull the 2 tamer pat with the first hidden lynx group, as well as pulling the second and third lynx groups at the same time (everyone mount up, no hots going, pally tank runs through the second group to the third then AoE tanks them all) it saves a few minutes on the 4th chest.
Canuun

Postby Lookit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:58 pm

vutharic wrote:
@Lookit - Thanks for the advice, am i looking for a specific dps or will any dps do? i was thinking maybe a fury warrior or a warlock.

As a pally tank, I find a shadow priest to be invaluable for the timed runs, for lots of reasons beyond just the extra mana. Our spriest will typically MC flame casters on every pull in the Dragonhawk trash, which greatly trivializes the pulls. Just be sure that both tanks are ready to taunt/stun the flamecaster when the MC breaks. Our spriest can also pop out of shadow form and start healing in the unfortunate event that a healer dies. Over the past 7 successful timed clears, we've had just about everything you could imagine go wrong, and I know for a fact that we would not have had 7 bears in those 7 runs if our spriest hadn't been there to switch out and do some clutch healing. And obviously, the constant flow of mana to the caster group is unbelievably useful in a timed run - I can literally go all out, max rank everything the entire run and never have to worry about mana (this is along with popping the occasional pot during trash). This means that DPS is never threat capped on trash, and I always have mana when I need it for an unexpected taunt or consecrate if something goes wrong.

So, clearly my first choice for your replacement DPS would be a spriest, but beyond that I would just try to find the most solid player overall. The thing about the timed run is that it requires extreme focus for a solid 45 minutes, and a lot of players just aren't up to that, even if they do just fine in most raids. You want someone who's willing to flask, willing to burn mana pots like they were free, and who thinks far enough ahead that they don't make mistakes that can cost you the run. (Prime example: we're on the last trash pull before the Dragonhawk boss when a sheeped flamecaster pops early and starts beating on a mage. Both of the tank's taunts happen to be on cooldown, which we say over vent. No problem though, right? I'll just BoP the mage and taunt when I can in a few seconds. Well, one of our locks is like "omg, clothie going down!!" and what does he do? He *deathcoils* the flamecaster. You know, the mobs that move like 200% faster than normal? So in the blink of an eye, this feared mob dashes over to the other pack that you don't need to clear, and we suddenly have 2 full packs on us, and it's a full wipe. We still managed to make the timer on the bear, but jeez. Heh.)
Lookit

Postby Elza » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:01 pm

What has helped us alot is dropping the third healer for another DPS spot, and bringing a shadow priest
Elza

Postby Novariety » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Lookit wrote:As a pally tank, I find a shadow priest to be invaluable for the timed runs, for lots of reasons beyond just the extra mana.

Except when your nub spriest forgets they are killing one of the egg guys on Dragonhawk that results in us having to reset. We wasted a good 4 minutes but was still able to beat the timer by 2.

Also you dont really have to be in T6 gear to have 3 full time healers in the group, our 1st 2 successful timed runs (4 from 4 now) were with 3 healers and we have just started T6 content. As stated by others if one of the healers has a good dps set then that can save time when clearing trash and on bosses where only 2 healers is needed. Ours is our shammy, who on our last 2 timed runs has gone and respecced. Once as ele and the last run he was enh. Healing when required.
Novariety

Return to Zul'aman