Remove Advertisements

Dragonhawk Eggs. Hatch all? Or?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Dragonhawk Eggs. Hatch all? Or?

Postby Dnasheen2 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:44 pm

We are still working on this boss and I have heard contradicting comments on the eggs.

Someone told me to hatch all the eggs before the 35% mark and if all the eggs are hatched, no more birds will spawn.

However, some other people tell me that if you hatch all the eggs before 35%, all the eggs will respawn?

Is this true? We are going to attempt this boss again tonight and it will be really nice to have a confirmation.

Thanks.
Dnasheen2

Postby Zsorn1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:57 pm

From what I have seen they do not respawn if you get all the eggs before the 35% mark.. but I hardly see a group that doesn't dps this slow and I normally have to pick up a small pack of 8 or so birds... easy to deal with and they go down quick with 2 aoe classes.
Zsorn1

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:12 pm

If you pop all the eggs they do not respawn. Any eggs remaining at 35% will pop.

One go-for-fucking-broke strategy is to kill one hatcher, let the other hatcher hatch THE ENTIRE SIDE, aoe them down, bubble to clear the 80 stacks of debuff you have on you, then kill every egg on the other side.

On the plus side, if you survive the first two minutes of the fight, it's over. On the minus side, there's a very high possibility that you will die in a fire.

We used to pop all the eggs at once. Now we're down to single-tank ZA runs, and so I'm on the boss and warriors do the hatchlings.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:47 pm

We run with two tanks, so I pop an entire side at once and tank it all.

Check my profile for gear details, I put my block set on - about 750 BV, but that's overkill. So long as you have SSK/TK/ZA gear, you can tank a side at a time.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Pallypete » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:12 pm

DEFINITELY the way to go IMO. Makes it so much easier. The best part is that if something gets screwed up ("Oops, didn't see that bomb with 20 hawks on me at once"), everyone can just run down the stairs and reset him.
Pallypete

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:23 am

The dragonhawks don't really hit that hard. I found that I actually took far more fire damage on that fight than physical, so I just put on my full FR gear, which still leaves me with decent block value (around 300 or so, I think). As an added bonus, it means that the flame buffet won't stack very high, and you're much less likely to get gibbed by a stray flame breath.

We pull half of one side on the first hatcher wave, then the rest of that half on the next wave. Then we burn the boss down to 35%, timing it so that he hatches the other side just after the bombs explode. I pick up the hawks, we AoE them down, then we finish him off and collect shiny purples.

As for avoiding the bombs with 20 dragonhawks on you, I just stick to the middle, look around for a clear area as the bombs land, and then strafe there very quickly with the hawks in tow.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Wakeman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:56 am

BE A REAL TANKADIN! TANK ALL THE DRAGONHAWKS ON ONE SIDE!

Actually, this makes the whole fight much easier. Debuff is not an important issue once you learn how to avoid fire damage. Besides, this is a good way to impress your raid leader and guildmates and helps you to ensure you have a spot for the next ZA. ;)
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Jhereg » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:20 am

Be a real tankadin! Have a warlock lifetap to 6k, heal em when the eggs start poppin, and tank both sides at once!

I probably wouldn't do that.
Jhereg

Postby Nebuchadneza » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:59 pm

The boss targetted me when I had 110 debuffs on me the other day and no bubble for a cooldown. We had burned down most of the adds on the first side and the DPS didn't kill the hatcher in all the mayhem before the
second side was released. I put up wings and we got them all down so I ran to one of the hatch areas as far from the boss as I could get. I guess you learn something every day since up until that point I had it in my head that he might not target me if I was miles away ;)

21k hit and dead, with 8 minutes left on the timer for the DPS to burn him down. Time to go get a drink at that point. :D
Nebuchadneza

Postby Alostrael » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:14 am

Yeah, I tank a side at a time. Can be slightly annoying if dps doesn't keep their distance and I get flame breathed with 80+ stacks. You might also want to tell your aoe to hold off til after the teleport. Also not a good idea to have nameplates up, its entirely possible to not be able to see a bomb with all those hawks on you ><
Alostrael

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:22 am

For my group, we found it "safest" to take half the eggs on one side at a time. Obviously, there is no real "half" given the math and the way the hatch but that's what we do.

The reason is to keep things less chaotic feeling for the rest of the raid in case it goes into mini bomb phase before the dragonhawks are dead. Our raid leader really seemed to hate when the hawks are running around during that phase, even if the pally had most if not all of the agro.

It works well for us.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Talaii » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:09 am

inthedrops wrote:For my group, we found it "safest" to take half the eggs on one side at a time. Obviously, there is no real "half" given the math and the way the hatch but that's what we do.

The reason is to keep things less chaotic feeling for the rest of the raid in case it goes into mini bomb phase before the dragonhawks are dead. Our raid leader really seemed to hate when the hawks are running around during that phase, even if the pally had most if not all of the agro.

It works well for us.

Doing the bomb phase with about 50 hawks on you is about half the fun of the fight. Not only are the bombs actually a risk with 40+ debuffs on you, it's hard to see safe ground through the swarms of flying glowing flame-breathing birds in the way.

I still get hit less than most of our healers, though. I'm pretty sure the holy pally is getting hit on purpose at this point, probably for more mana.
Talaii

Postby Robbert » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 am

We downed this boss for the first time and hatched the eggs one side at a time.

Frist wave of hatchers...kill one, let the other start hatching, pop wings and spam concecrate on the bridge to that side (a JoR on the first one to spawn really helps) and wait for the teleport. After being ported immediately drop another concecrate, stun the hatcher, then run away from the dragonhawks as this gives ample time to locate a safe spot before their arrival. DPS should make sure the hatcher is burned down. After the bombs go off have dps unload on the dragonhawks. As soon as the dragonhawks are down bubble to drop the stacked debuffs. With the second wave of hatchers don't bother killing either as they'll both run to the only side with eggs remaining. Other than popping your wings (I got a PI here) you'll basically repeat the process from the first round of eggs. After the second round of eggs are down try to stay out across one of the bridges as much as possible until the debuff stack drops as this will keep your mana pool up so you can actually do some useful healing. Cleanse spamming will only drain your mana pool making you fairly ineffective for the remainder of the fight anyway.

As for gear, I went with high block rating and spell damage with just shy of 400 block value. That's really all you'll need. One advantage to high spell damage is you'll be a bit more effective helping with the heals once all the eggs are out of the way, and after the first enrage that boss hits the tank significantly harder.
Robbert

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:10 am

I try to have it so we tank one full side of eggs, and then do the other side in halves. I only do it this way because of when the boss is going to port you to the middle for bombs, the timing works out so that you can get one full side hatched and then have a couple of seconds to kill the hatcher. But on the next side you get ported part way through the hatching so you can get some stray hawks causing problems.

I found when we tried to do only half the eggs from a side at a time our dps would get the boss to 35% and all the eggs would hatch anyways, trying to get a our dps to slow down was hopeless.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby Moraus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 am

i tank one side of adds first with AW then we kill both hatchers till what looks like the last hatching before 35% so its more predictable to pick them up (an AW is up again). I do it without AW but it just means theres no chance a healer will get aggro or the trigger happy warlock will either.
Moraus

Next

Return to Zul'aman