Remove Advertisements

Is Nalorakk Resisting Your Taunt?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Invisusira » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:42 pm

I've been in every possible scenario. I've tanked Troll form. I've tanked Bear form. I've had a bear OT, a warrior OT, and another pally as an OT.

I have > never < had this happen.

Ever.

As discussed, just make sure that you and the other tank:

1) Make sure not to taunt until the transformation is complete.

2) Make sure not to taunt while he is charging another raid member.
Invisusira

Postby sbeacher » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Had him resist a taunt last night. This is the second time.

It always seems he possibly resists if you taunt too early. I think it's just safer to wait for him to change forms and then taunt as he doesn't put the mangle or bleed on immediately after the switch, it's always about 5 - 10 seconds into it.
sbeacher

Postby honorshammer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm going to log my next attempt. I get at least 1 resist per attempt it seems like.
honorshammer

Postby 2ndNin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 am

Ok, last night ZA run, we hit bear with 9 minutes to spare (takes us 4:30 to kill him or less), I run in and go for troll, troll goes on, bear, taunt fails on troll form (was transformed, had target and not charging), try again on bear form, I wait, it transforms I taunt, it fails (not resist, miss etc, just uses the cooldown).

It seems the only way I can tank this boss is by taunting before the change over happens, if I wait for it to actually happen then the taunt will fail for that whole phase :(. Is there something odd about this fight?
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby hamato » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:41 pm

2ndNin wrote:Ok, last night ZA run, we hit bear with 9 minutes to spare (takes us 4:30 to kill him or less), I run in and go for troll, troll goes on, bear, taunt fails on troll form (was transformed, had target and not charging), try again on bear form, I wait, it transforms I taunt, it fails (not resist, miss etc, just uses the cooldown).

It seems the only way I can tank this boss is by taunting before the change over happens, if I wait for it to actually happen then the taunt will fail for that whole phase :(. Is there something odd about this fight?

I too have noticed this. It has happened 3 runs now (out of around 15 where I was the tank), and like you describe once it occurs, it tends to fail for the entirety of the phase. My cooldown is used, he is targetting the offtank when i taunt, there is no resist (I have a mod that alerts me of resists) yet nothing happens. Last night I taunted 3 times and all 3 resulted in nothing happening. I keep forgetting to start my combat logger, but I will do so next time in case it happens again.

Oh and I always tank the troll, and thus all my failed taunts are when he is in troll form. We are a full t6 raid and likely the warlocks may surpass me in threat when I am not tanking in case this issue is threat based. I typically stand off to the side and autoattack with sow generating minimal threat and not causing parries. When he is about to switch back into troll form I stand in front again, wait a couple seconds after he swtiches and taunt.

The taunt failures arn't an issue due to our gear, but I would hate to cause a wipe and ruin the timed run due to this. Hopefully we can find the common issue and report it to the devs if it is a bug or at least find a way to mitigate it.

I do use this macro exclusively for all my taunting in case it is somehow related:
/cast [target=target,help] Righteous Defense; [target=targettarget,help] Righteous Defense
hamato

Postby Slamdorff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:42 am

I have exactly the same problem. 2 or 3 of the last 5 runs my taunt on Nalorakk missed and reacted exactly like the 2 posters above. I don't recall it happen before.

We clear ZA most resets and have 3. timed run down - but the last times with no attempt for bear, as we wipe on Nalorakk:/

I use a simpler macro:

/cast [help] Righteous Defense; [target=targettarget] Righteous Defense

Invisusira, what macro do you use for RD taunt?

Any help appreciated.
Slamdorff

Postby sbeacher » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Last two times I've waited a couple seconds AFTER he transforms to taunt and it has worked flawless every time. Just let the other tank know what you're doing so they don't panic when he isn't pulled off immediately.
sbeacher

Postby Shelendil » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

I've had this problem on and off as well when tanking the troll form. Not getting resists, just no response. I've tried taunting on the transformation as well as waiting for him to swing once at the other tank. When it does fail it's likely to fail again if I taunt 15 seconds later, well into the middle of the phase (no, it's not on a charge). I simply can't think of any explanation for it. Target of target taunt has to be one of the most frustrating game mechanics I've encountered on my characters.
Shelendil

Postby sanctifico » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:04 pm

Had it once i think, just hit bop on the other tank and continued to tank..

I think im at 8.6% hit and haven't had a resisted taunt in ages.. except Veras, who hates my taunts.

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Slamdorff » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 am

Shelendil wrote:I've had this problem on and off as well when tanking the troll form. Not getting resists, just no response. I've tried taunting on the transformation as well as waiting for him to swing once at the other tank. When it does fail it's likely to fail again if I taunt 15 seconds later, well into the middle of the phase (no, it's not on a charge). I simply can't think of any explanation for it. Target of target taunt has to be one of the most frustrating game mechanics I've encountered on my characters.

Apparently quite a few have this problem.
Could it be simply because we don't see/get a "missed taunt"-message?
Whats the simplest mod that will show a missed taunt clearly?

And, Invis, pls post the taunt macro you use.
Slamdorff

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 am

Ok, I abused a 2 chest run (all we manage atm), and got some soundish data.

Before the transition (0-9-0.5s) taunting works fine, below 0.5 you may hit lag and enter the transition.

Transition -> Avatar changes, the taunt fails, will fail for the remainder of this phase.

Transition avatar becomes smaller, begins attacking, taunt functions as expected.

So the earlier conclusions appear to be correct, that Nalorakk loses targets during charges (or some kind of fixed target change?), and that during the transition he becomes untauntable / no target triggering a bug for that phase reset on the transition (possibly 2 separate game entities sharing a single health / threat pool?). The key to a post transition taunt appears to be letting him settle to normal size, and then waiting until he begins to take actions, after this point the taunt does not ever appear to fail (reduced resist possibly on this boss?).

Taunting just before seems the riskier plan (if badly timed you lag out and lose, if too early you might get bled / mangled), than waiting for it to take a single strike at the other tank (proof he has acquired a target and is a functional model again) and then taunting.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Wulfhere » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am

As far as the issue of macros, I use:

/cast [target=mouseover] Righteous Defense

I finally had some version of this problem when a charge happened right at the transition. I got icthy trigger finger and taunted before he had run back. Every other time, by waiting until I actually see a bear on my screen, I don't have a problem.
Wulfhere

Postby 2ndNin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:50 am

Anyone done this since 2.4? I tried and my taunt failed 8 times in a row :(
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Bughead » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:16 pm

2ndNin wrote:Anyone done this since 2.4? I tried and my taunt failed 8 times in a row :(

We did this the night after the patch (Weds. nite) , and I had no probs taunting him off the war . However I was tanking the bear phases ... not sure if that would make a diff .

I use /cast [help] Righteous Defence ; [target=targettarget,help] Righteous Defense

I've only had this fail once on the bear phase, and I'm pretty positive that I jumped the gun and taunted too early
Bughead

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:17 am

Tried again, first transition (bear -> troll) I taunt after he transforms and starts spanking the warrior (no charge for another 20s), taunt fails, bubble the tank out of it. Start taunting before the transition (0.9s to go) and all goes hunky dory.

Am beginning to get fed up with this fight, seems so random on my taunts.
[/url]
2ndNin

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman