Remove Advertisements

Halazzi - No need for a phase 2 offtank?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Halazzi - No need for a phase 2 offtank?

Postby Robbert » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:05 pm

We hit up Halazzi for the first time last night...had some epic wipes as we figured out exactly how nasty the sabre lash can be. I was MT with a well geared Arms/Fury warrior OT. On our first attempt that went into phase 2 I noticed that the warrior was having a hell of a time keeping the Lynx Spirit off me...which got me to thinking...why even bother having an OT pick it up. On our next attempt I tanked both the boss and Lynx Spirit through phase 2 and the A/F warrior switched back to his 2h sword and dpsed the boss/totems. The totems die faster...phase 2 is shorter...and in a phase where raid damage is already an issue we consolidated the damage from the boss and lynx in one place to make things somewhat easier on the healers.

Unfortunately we wiped at 5%...and on our last attemt lost both priests on a phase 2 transition when the lynx spirit pwned them both. It didn't seem to care that I taunted and judged righteousness...or that a hunter unloaded on him with a MD up on me.
Robbert

Postby Puss » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:10 am

ye that's the reason I always salvation the healers ( although they're begging for Wisdom ). Once they pull aggro and do 6000 heals all the time, they are hard to save. Salv on healers is the way to go.

Why don't you OT the boss and let the warrior MT ? Just an idea, but the warrior needs a hell of a lot of gear to survive the lashes , so he'll be in tanking gear anyway , and a 2hander sword won't make the difference. You can then OT the lynx and nuke the totems with judgements. the DPS should be able to take out the totems fast, let them use macro's :

/stopcasting
/cleartarget
/target corrupted
/stopmacro [target=target,noexists]
/cast <whatever damage spell they have>

that way they will nuke the totems. Totems generally don't even hit people when our DPS is focusing. Sometimes when they slack , the totem might activate once during the fight ( but never twice ). If your DPS is on the ball : the totem won't DPS anyone : it will die before it can do anything.

Macro's here are very very important. Having melee DPS like DPS warriors / DPS paladins and instant casters like mages helps a lot too.

-Puss
Puss

Postby Invisusira » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:12 am

I just tank em both. Just be ready to taunt the Lynx if and when your concecrate doesn't pick him up right away and he runs off to play Facesmash with a healer. (I try and judge Righteous on him just as he pops to make sure I have his attention.)
Invisusira

Postby PapaNasty » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:18 pm

I tried this boss for the first time last night, only my first run with a new guild.

As an OT on the lynx (they wanted me mainly for clensing the debuff since i wouldnt need to do much to hold aggro on lynx, and we only had 1x other person who could clense), and also tried MT the boss.

But however, I'd end up dying each time from one of the lynx strikes or whatever when they'd hit me for 10k then followed up by a normal attack aswell.

Is it my hp? (Had 17k hp without priest / warlock buffs) or should the healers just be keeping me higher so I don't get pwnt?
PapaNasty of Barthilas (US)
PapaNasty

Postby adese » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:35 am

PapaNasty wrote:I tried this boss for the first time last night, only my first run with a new guild.

As an OT on the lynx (they wanted me mainly for clensing the debuff since i wouldnt need to do much to hold aggro on lynx, and we only had 1x other person who could clense), and also tried MT the boss.

But however, I'd end up dying each time from one of the lynx strikes or whatever when they'd hit me for 10k then followed up by a normal attack aswell.

Is it my hp? (Had 17k hp without priest / warlock buffs) or should the healers just be keeping me higher so I don't get pwnt?

If you were at 17k w/o imp or fort, you should be fine. You need to remember that this fight is VERY healing intensive - the MT takes a ton of damage, and the OT takes 9k spikes as well (which takes a few heals to top him off, which he must be). Not to mention all of the damage from the lightning totems when he's split (or less than 20%), this makes for one nasty fight for healers.

But in general, yes your healers really do need to keep both tanks topped off as much as possible. If they don't, you're really gambling on avoiding a few hits until they can top you off.

We just killed him last night (not the first time), and I had ~18.5k HP fully buffed I think (no warlock in the group for imp, though).
adese

Postby Yeti » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:51 am

I ended up tanking both Phase 2 forms one time when our warrior MT somehow died early (lack of heals) and they didn't seem to hit all that hard. I was at ~19k health fully buffed.

I have heard that the lynx spirit can put a debuff on tanks that reduces their armor. Not sure if this is true. This would be a reason to separate them, but I see more value in keeping them in one place to ease transitions. If a pally is the MT, it makes even more sense since he can hold aggro on both and free up the OT for totem duty.

I hate Saber Lash.

And the Lynx Spirit is naughty when he ignores us.
Yeti

Postby adese » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:59 am

Yeti wrote:And the Lynx Spirit is naughty when he ignores us.

Yeah, I hate it when I lay down a Consecrate early, yet he jets for the healers anyway. At least we can use our ranged taunt to bring him back without having to move at all.
adese

Postby Dnasheen2 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Puss wrote:/stopcasting
/cleartarget
/target corrupted
/stopmacro [target=target,noexists]
/cast <whatever damage spell they have>

-Puss

don't know much about macros, but what does the following line do?

"/stopmacro [target=target,noexists]"
Dnasheen2

Postby SmurfZG » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:37 pm

it stops the macro if you don't have a target, so it won't cast the spell.
SmurfZG

Halazzi's damage output.

Postby Dianora » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:58 pm

I main tank Halazzi for the 2nd time, and this time, I got killed outright by the saberlash (After it got hit 4 times in 5 seconds. The off tank was there to eat 1/2 of it). It's kind of puzzling how much damage I was taking (and my gear have only gotten better since the last time I tank him). I had to use the pocket watch on every cool down (which translates to whenever he went back to combined phase) on the eventual kill.

I actually went and dust off my Suneater from the bank and enchanted it with +20 agi to see if that helps.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Maranus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 pm

You can even use a holy pally to spread the saber lash, if you wanted...
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Return to Zul'aman