Akil'zon adds -- the birds

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Aalryn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 am

Nebuchadneza wrote:Have your OT tank the boss and strap on your healing gear. :shock: The utility of our class is such that you can do more than just tank.

Assist heals on everyone for the entire fight and assign just one person to killing the birds if you feel they absolutely have to die.

Your OT should be a feral druid or non-prot spec'd warrior. There is no reason to bring 2 prot spec classes to the raid.

Therefore you should be tanking the boss and ignore all the adds. They don't do THAT much damage (nothing that can't be healed through) and the added dps helps bring the boss down faster.

We may have a hunter shoot them when he can, but it's usually not worth it.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Menoch » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 am

Aalryn wrote:
Nebuchadneza wrote:Have your OT tank the boss and strap on your healing gear. :shock: The utility of our class is such that you can do more than just tank.

Assist heals on everyone for the entire fight and assign just one person to killing the birds if you feel they absolutely have to die.

Your OT should be a feral druid or non-prot spec'd warrior. There is no reason to bring 2 prot spec classes to the raid.

Therefore you should be tanking the boss and ignore all the adds. They don't do THAT much damage (nothing that can't be healed through) and the added dps helps bring the boss down faster.

We may have a hunter shoot them when he can, but it's usually not worth it.

That may be true if your OT is in t6, but if he's just kara geared, I'm not sure he could even stand up to the bear trash.
Menoch

Postby Aalryn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Menoch wrote:That may be true if your OT is in t6, but if he's just kara geared, I'm not sure he could even stand up to the bear trash.

On my runs, the OT is usually one of our raider's alts, whom is tier 5 geared. which is actually very similar to gear which is found in ZA or through badges now.

Heck, some of this ZA gear is extremely close to gear found in black temple.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Nebuchadneza » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:00 pm

We have a warrior along who is geared equally to me so it's logical for our group to do it this way. If it doesn't work for you then that's fine, but it works for us 100% of the time. As far as I've seen T6 is possibly overgeared for the instance since we are running around the place in a mixture of T4-5 and can still one-shot the first 4 bosses in there no dramas. It should be noted we haven't put time aside to progress past this and I'm happy to be corrected. ;)

For the record our warrior raid buffs to around 19-20k and I'm sitting between 20-21k
Nebuchadneza

Postby Magnusharkov » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:34 am

Silly question but if you ignore the birds dont they just keep on spawning? Doesn't this cause healers to go OOM after a while? Also what about the interrupts caused by the birds?
Magnusharkov

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:15 am

The birds are kinda like the adds on Razorgore. They spawn untill there are x amount of them, and once they reach that number more will spawn to replace any that die. For Razorgore there were always 40 orcs, bring that number down to 37 and 3 more will spawn. Thus DPSing the birds is nothing short of a waste of time and mana.

Personally every time I haev killed Akil'zon, we have ignored to birds.

PS: Locks without imp corruption are seriously ftl, its freaking baseline, come on!
Zhalseran

Postby Menoch » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Okay, tried it last night with prot war, MT and me as ret and it worked fine, although, with all the ae pulls, I was pretty much in tank gear for all but eagle boss (ignored eagles btw) on the first 4 bosses.
Menoch

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Menoch wrote:That may be true if your OT is in t6, but if he's just kara geared, I'm not sure he could even stand up to the bear trash.

... lol what?

I don't know about arms/fury wars in tank gear, but my Feral Druid is not T6 geared at all and definitely still stands up to bear trash easily.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby utena » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Hmm, so either:

A. SoC the boss, or
B. Ignore the birds.

Well, the healers are getting beat down in collateral bird damage, so it's SoC then.

Yeah, don't get into me with my raid's specs... half are off-spec "RP" specs -- I dunno, you tell me what an RP spec is -- or PvP specs with PvP who refuse to change.

And our OT is a S2 Glad Arms war who throws on KZ gear and tanks the trash and the bear with me just fine.
utena

Postby Annivus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:29 am

We completely ignore the birds. Every time we try killing, it just wastes too much time and we end up with a wipe
Annivus

Postby Slamdorff » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:51 am

We ignore the birds and usually one shots.
Slamdorff

Postby gwayne » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:03 am

Sabindeus wrote:

... lol what?

I don't know about arms/fury wars in tank gear, but my Feral Druid is not T6 geared at all and definitely still stands up to bear trash easily.

I'd hope a feral druid would stand up to the bear trash. Comparing them to a arms/fury warrior though is like comparing them to a retadin trying to tank... I wouldn't want to take a non prot OT at our gear level. The bear riders have the potential to do so much spike damage it's bad enough as a prot tank.

Good tip on the birds though. I'll try ignoring them next time, our hunters only complain anyway and they arn't really that much trouble. If it's a warrior tanking with me I make them tank the eagle and I heal; a druid will normally dps. It might take 1 min longer to down him without that small amount of dps but with an extra healer you are 100x safer.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Re: Akil'zon adds -- the birds

Postby Dianora » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:17 am

Blaen99 wrote:
Invisusira wrote:
Blaen99 wrote:Our 'locks swear by SoC-spamming AKil'Zon himself.

PS-
Comma wrote::shock: That means you tank all birds untill boss dies? Or by ignore, you mean ignore them completely?...

This is the eagle boss, not the dragonhawk boss. Boss names FTL!

Either one works.

Eagle or dragonhawk, just Seed the boss?

Targeting the eagle is just kind of lost cause. Seed the Boss.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby jere » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 am

gwayne wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

... lol what?

I'd hope a feral druid would stand up to the bear trash. Comparing them to a arms/fury warrior though is like comparing them to a retadin trying to tank... I wouldn't want to take a non prot OT at our gear level. The bear riders have the potential to do so much spike damage it's bad enough as a prot tank.

If it helps, I often have a DPS warrior that has mostly kara gear , but a couple of T5 pieces for tanking, and they do fine on the trash. I just make sure to take phase 1 of the boss and the first kill target on trash so I get a threat lead going for them.

To date I have used an arms warrior, a fury warrior, and a fury/prot hybrid with very little issue. None of them were even half geared in T5 tanking gear.
jere

Postby Siiri » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:04 pm

On our guild runs I just go healing and let my OT (feral druid this time) do the tanking. As for birds our lock just SoC them during the lightning cloud. We got no über gear but this boss is in my opinion the "easiest" one in za. Also get your shamans throw some stoneclaw totems on coodown.. The birds love them..

Happy hunting!
Siiri

Previous

Return to Zul'aman