Akil'Zon Kicking my butt

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Akil'Zon Kicking my butt

Postby Vic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 pm

After a few times into ZA i've come to realize Akil'Zon is a real pain and i believe that the healers may feel they have a lot of pressure on them when it comes to healing me in this fight. During the fight it all seems to go well, the way we kill him is we have someone watching a timer and calls when to collapse, when we collapse every raid member falls to the tanks position which is usually where Akil'Zon stands before you engage him. but when we do that things get extremely crazy, it feels i'm taking an insane amount of dmg and i get the idea that the healers panic, a lightwell actually helped me alot at times, i hit that every time we collapse. Sometimes i think it is because the healers stop healing when we call it out so they can run to me and start healing, that i seem to have the trouble. I'm not so poorly geared, My Armory may be off a bit, but anyone got any comments? is it me just being paranoid? would the three points in the ret tree to reduce chance spells will hit me help me out here?

Armory Link!
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
Vic

Re: Akil'Zon Kicking my butt

Postby Stylaan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm

Vic wrote:After a few times into ZA i've come to realize Akil'Zon is a real pain and i believe that the healers may feel they have a lot of pressure on them when it comes to healing me in this fight. During the fight it all seems to go well, the way we kill him is we have someone watching a timer and calls when to collapse, when we collapse every raid member falls to the tanks position which is usually where Akil'Zon stands before you engage him. but when we do that things get extremely crazy, it feels i'm taking an insane amount of dmg and i get the idea that the healers panic, a lightwell actually helped me alot at times, i hit that every time we collapse. Sometimes i think it is because the healers stop healing when we call it out so they can run to me and start healing, that i seem to have the trouble. I'm not so poorly geared, My Armory may be off a bit, but anyone got any comments? is it me just being paranoid? would the three points in the ret tree to reduce chance spells will hit me help me out here?

Armory Link!

Tbh, Akil'zon probably has the highest contained burst potential of all the bosses in the instance, his regular hits are moderate, but he has the ability to crush if you get lag time between HS refreshes, in addition, his Static Charge deals damage and applies a nature damage debuff which coupled with his Call Lightning ability can make for some nasty spikes.

When you guys group up you don't necessarily need to stand right on top of the MT, the cloud range is not huge so if the group bunches up behind the mob while the tank is in front of him they shouldn't be getting static charges off onto the tank, and once the storm goes up the tank can run through or the group can run through to get the right position.
Stylaan

Postby Alberich » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm

You don't want to have everyone collapse on the tank - some current theories state that he's got a minimum casting distance on the storm, so if everyone's too closely grouped he's just going to spam his lightning attack and with having everyone so close together, static + birds + nature damage = instawipe.

Assign several smaller groups that can easily run to eachother when a storm hits - you can survive one tick of it, you can't survive 5.
Alberich

Postby Dorvan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Alberich wrote:You don't want to have everyone collapse on the tank - some current theories state that he's got a minimum casting distance on the storm, so if everyone's too closely grouped he's just going to spam his lightning attack and with having everyone so close together, static + birds + nature damage = instawipe.

Assign several smaller groups that can easily run to eachother when a storm hits - you can survive one tick of it, you can't survive 5.

I haven't noticed any timing change based on how far you are from the boss...it just can seem to take forever when you're stacked on him waiting for the storm at times :P My guild's consistently killed the Eagle boss by collapsing down on him. A priest or shaman healer works wonders for AoE healing through the shock damage while you wait.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: Akil'Zon Kicking my butt

Postby easttuth » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 pm

Stylaan wrote:Tbh, Akil'zon probably has the highest contained burst potential of all the bosses in the instance, his regular hits are moderate, but he has the ability to crush if you get lag time between HS refreshes, in addition, his Static Charge deals damage and applies a nature damage debuff which coupled with his Call Lightning ability can make for some nasty spikes.

When you guys group up you don't necessarily need to stand right on top of the MT, the cloud range is not huge so if the group bunches up behind the mob while the tank is in front of him they shouldn't be getting static charges off onto the tank, and once the storm goes up the tank can run through or the group can run through to get the right position.

I wouldn't rate 1 or 2 full raid static charges as higher on the burstometer than a +50% Spirit Bolt volley from Malacrass... we're talking about 13500 dps here.

Truthfully with good timing, you should get a max of 1 SD during collapse. If you are still having trouble, get an aspect or totem in the melee group, and a chain heal or circle of healing on someone's hotbar. As a resto shaman, I'm always one of the first into melee range, spamming chain heal until the storm. It's usually not the tank I'm worried about.
easttuth

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:36 pm

If your having a lot of trouble with the timing and getting the raid nailed by collapsing too early, try having 2 or more points.

Say, have 2 healers as point 1 and 2, and the tank as point 3. When it gets close, melee collapses on the tank, group 1 on healer 1 and group 2 on healer 2. We tried this last time and it worked well.

Whats more helpful I find, is jacking up your ambiance level. I mean way up. Last time I did it I had my speakers and game volume max, ambiance all the way up and sound and music all the way down. That way you can hear the rain, and then collapse, rather than depending on an inaccurate timer.
Zhalseran

Postby sindorei » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:26 am

he is much harder now after patch2.3, the E-storm he casts is complete random, the Deadly boss mode doesn`t work, what we do now is calling out on vent and get people be ready to run to the shadow spot.
sindorei

Postby RunRabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:45 am

We let ppl circle around the inner square and gather 7 secs before storm countdown, he even dropped my punischer :)
RunRabbit

Postby Blaen99 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:25 am

I can state for a fact he NEVER storms the MT.
Blaen99

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:54 am

Alberich wrote:some current theories state that he's got a minimum casting distance on the storm.

That might explain what happened once last night -- everyone collapsed and we stood around for 15 seconds wondering where the storm was. Spread back out and kept killing him.

I don't know that the burst aoe dmg is worth skipping a storm rotation, personally ><
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:26 am

Blaen99 wrote:I can state for a fact he NEVER storms the MT.

I can state for a fact he does. Happened to me last week. He tossed my butt up into the air and did the electrical storm. I was well ahead on threat, and nobody pulled. As soon as I landed, he went back to meleeing me and everyone spread out again.
jere

Postby Invisusira » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:35 am

jere wrote:
Blaen99 wrote:I can state for a fact he NEVER storms the MT.

I can state for a fact he does. Happened to me last week. He tossed my butt up into the air and did the electrical storm. I was well ahead on threat, and nobody pulled. As soon as I landed, he went back to meleeing me and everyone spread out again.

Something happened then. He does NOT do things to the #1 on aggro.

Well, besides attack them.
Invisusira

Postby Vic » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:23 pm

I've had him throw the storm on me one time.
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
Vic

Postby Dorvan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Invisusira wrote:Something happened then. He does NOT do things to the #1 on aggro.

Well, besides attack them.

I don't think I've had it happen to me, but I don't see why there couldn't be a storm on the MT...he stops melee'ing during the storm, so it's not like it makes any difference....unlike with his other abilities where it'd add a lot more damage on the tank.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Tresjynn » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:47 pm

I thought it was he cast it on whoever was standing furthest away from him.
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Next

Return to Zul'aman