Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:25 am

Demetrious wrote:Am I the only retard that tanks the boss and the adds at the same time?

Have yet to be crushing blowed by the boss since the birds are pretty much guaranteed to proc redoubt. I understand it's a bit more healing intensive, but typically my guild's strats revolve around getting as much DPS as possible on the board without having dead spots in the raid. I usually run with a warrior DPS/OT for utility mob debuffs and melee buffs. Maybe I'll try using a separate tank for the boss and the adds at some point, but so far this has worked pretty well for us.

Basically, I aggro the boss, pull him to the entrance of one of the ramps and wait. DPS destroys the hatcher running to the opposite side and lets the one on my side start hatching. We loose 4-5 waves, drop the hatcher and then AE the dragonhawks. Pretty much guaranteed to get a teleport/bomb before we're done, but that provides ample opportunity to cleanse. Pick up the boss, finish the adds, and repeat. If the hatchers run to a side opposite from where I am tanking the boss, I simply spin and move him to the other side.

Just posting this because I haven't heard any mention of this strat, and thus far NOT bringing to dedicated tanks into the instance has proven to be worthwhile for timed events and clearing, since we don't CC anything we don't have to.

-Demetrious

We used to do it this way. It's FAR easier to have your OT tank the boss while you take down the dragonhawks, one side at a time.

I then catch back up to their threat so that when (I should probably say if, but it's more often than not!) they die on the enrage I can pick up the boss without losing any DPS.
Invisusira

Postby Farook » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:48 pm

Some time ago I heard that the birds do not take any damage on the bridge. True or False?

Because of this I always try to aoe-tank them where the bridge ends. With plenty of debuffs on me from the hatchlings, there's always the risk to run into a Flame Breath... and die. So I'd prefer to tank them on the bridge as well (out of sight from the boss), but I was insecure if this is possible. From what I read here, it is possible, right?
Farook

Postby Invisusira » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:19 am

False. I've found the best way is to run almost all the way across the bridge and lay down your first conecrate there, then slowly back up as you get more and more birdses until you get ported. A hunters's frost trap helps IMMENSELY here.
Invisusira

Postby Zahir » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:30 am

Attempted Jan'alai for the first time after killing Halazzi. Ran into a couple of problems.

I feel like when i tried to clear one side completely, i would get teleported, then scrambling to find a safe spot to avoid fire bombs. Some of the dragonhawks would be on some of the healers, or some of the aoe'ers. I tried staying close to the bridge so i could consecrate and pick up some that didn't run into my consecrate earlier before i got teleported. I've been dropping a consecrate exactly where the hatcher stands initially then backing up completely but not off the bridge. Am i not calling aoe quicker?

We tried killing half of the hatchers first, then the hatcher. but all of a sudden when the hatchers respawn they both went to the other side that didn't have any (this a bug or do they just go where more eggs are).

This is my idea i posted to my guild after our attempts:
It doesn't need to be a hunter, but as soon as the hatcher comes out i will stun the first one of them, all ranged DPS focus on kill him. Then i will follow a hatcher to whatever side he's going to. Make sure a mage casts dampen magic on me. A hunter will lay a frost trap(the one that snares) in the middle of the bridge for me. I will consecrate spam as much as I can. The hatcher should be able to hatch all the eggs before the teleport. If they are slowed by the trap, they will take more hits of consecrate, and more than likely go to me. When i get teleported, i will run completely to the other side(where all the other eggs are) to give time to move in a safe place out of firebombs. If a hawk is on you, call your name out on vent and i will try to taunt it off. If the hatcher is dead, all dragonhawks are on me, i'll call for AoE.

Most important things:
-NO ONE should die to firebomb, simple as that.
-1 Hatcher needs to die immediately
-According to this strat, Kill the hatcher if possible after the teleport so he doesn't accidently spawn more.
-Frost trap is essential so dragonhawks are fully taking consecrate dmg even after a teleport, which will prevent healers getting aggro after the teleport. When one side is down, make sure the frost trap is on the other side of the bridge.
-Mage(or lock) aoe should call for a BOP so they don't get insta-gibbed if they pull aggro(mage more so than warlock due to insta-aoe)
-If a mage is in range near the bridge, frost nova them and move away. He seems to teleport right before the the last egg wave is spawned.
Zahir

Postby Rainge » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:18 am

Invisusira wrote:I've found the best way is to run almost all the way across the bridge and lay down your first conecrate there, then slowly back up as you get more and more birdses until you get ported.

A good reason for doing this is the way healing threat works. If you're standing at the beginning of the bridge, consecrate likely will not pick up the first few birds on its own. Just make sure your healer knows you're going down there though - there are line-of-sight issues with the bridge.
Rainge

Postby Oriax » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:04 am

Our way to doing this fight is similar/the same as in the video-thread posted here. When Hatchers come I mark one to kill, the other comes to my side (hopefully since they often goes to the same side for whatever reason).

I run in before him fast and drop a Consecration in the middle of the eggs, then back up on the bridge, judging the first Dragon and drop next Consecration at the start of the bridge. Some fly straight through but I either taunt them back or quickly run in range to JoR them. Aoe down.

Something I noticed last night though, was that it felt like the blast-range of the bombs had increased from previous fights ? Maybe just a feeling but I tasted one, with what I thought was plenty of range from the bombs, with alot of debuffs and got screwed.
On another note which also happened last night, getting targeted with his flame-thingie with 25+ debuffs on you hurts bigtime :p
Oriax

Postby fudomyou » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:31 pm

I've read this thread through and didn't see an answer to this question, so pardon me if I'm repeating something:

We tried Jan'alai last week we had a position issue with the dragonhawks - our healers would get fried by flame breath, since I would be at the end of the bridge and the healer would have to be on the bridge too for LoS purposes.

So to avoid flame breath frying, what's the best way to take care of the tanking? Consecrate at the end of the bridge, walk backward slowly, hope you live long enough to get back in los of the healer, or will he need to dance a bit to avoid getting fried? And then you bring the dragonhawks outside for aoe?
Last edited by fudomyou on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I just tank them on the main platform right where it meets the bridge...there's no benefit to running all the way over to the sides. No LoS issues either if you're just on the main platform.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Bryne » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

One of the 2.4 patch notes mentions that Jan'alai will now only port people during bombs if they are "too far away". I suspect this means outside the flame walls for the main platform, which gives you even more incentive to practice tanking them there as you won't have the annoying teleport to deal with.
Bryne

Postby Ajax » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Top tip for you, there are never ever any bombs in the north west corner (right in the corner behind the mound), if you get ported and still have birds spawning get your healers into this corner with you and your aoe will take the birds off them.
Of course as soon as the bombs have exploded you should have everyone spread out again in case he targets someone still in the corner for his flame breath thingy
If death comes to us all, then let it come to the DPS first ;)
Ajax

Adventure in Fire Resistance

Postby Dianora » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:10 pm

On Friday night, I went in for another last 3 boss clear on ZA. Naturally, I'm the add tank. I went ahead and donned my FR gear for the first time outside MH/BT (might as well get some use somewhere), and started to tank...

I think there's some miscommunication somewhere, because I ended tanking both side at once. Thank god for the FR gear. Good to know it works.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Achtung » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:49 pm

We had dramas on this guy last night, even though we have previously downed him before. Tanking, dps and healing were no problem, but I kept getting wtfpwned by the boss's fire breath thing when I was tanking the first lots of adds. We hatched an entire side and I picked them all up, but before they were all downed by AoE I would cop flame breath and just get smashed.

Hints/Tips? I think it was primarily just a luck factor tho =/
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby Gracerath » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:18 pm

If you are repeatedly getting destroyed by fire breaths, try slapping on a few pieces of FR gear. Also, have a few ranged dps start single targeting down the birds as they are just starting to spawn. Its not much but it can cut down a little bit of the damage.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:46 am

As has been noted numerous times, FR gear helps immensely here. If you can cap FR (or at least come close) while maintaining decent tanking stats (don't use a bunch of greens), tanking the dragonhawks becomes an exercise in triviality.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Achtung » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 pm

So high FR means you will resist the debuff stacks, or most of them at any rate?
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman