Remove Advertisements

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Aalryn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 am

Scotthew wrote:What sort of gear were you paladins wearing who claim to tank all 40 adds at the beginning of the fight? What sort of gear was your raid in? If this strat is plausible for us, I'd like to try it again, but I made an ass of myself the first night claiming I could tank all the adds at the beginning. If we go with the typical strat, what can we do better to make sure spawns don't get out of control during Fire Bombs and at the 30% spawn all?

-Scotthew

you want to kill one of the hatchers anyway. watch my video on the dragonhawk boss in the video thread. It shows 2 different successful clears of all of the eggs.

You'll see me back up as i consecrate, and I also spam cleanse (cleansing myself is bound to my scroll wheel so you can hear me spinning it in the video) which helps get initial agro and makes them avoid going for healers etc. I never miss a single dragonhawk. It is important to only hatch one side at a time.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Scotthew » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:44 am

Aalryn wrote:you want to kill one of the hatchers anyway. watch my video on the dragonhawk boss in the video thread. It shows 2 different successful clears of all of the eggs.

You'll see me back up as i consecrate, and I also spam cleanse (cleansing myself is bound to my scroll wheel so you can hear me spinning it in the video) which helps get initial agro and makes them avoid going for healers etc. I never miss a single dragonhawk. It is important to only hatch one side at a time.

Yes we were still killing one hatcher, but when the one left to run free runs out of eggs on one side, it will run to the other side and spawn all 20 eggs in one cast. This about the same time I'm dying. Even with spamming Cleanse I would still get a hefty stack of debuffs because of the sheer quantity of whelps. I do notice that you're geared far beyond me. I need strats that work for a guild that clears KZ but has never set foot in a 25-man. I also don't have FR gear at my disposal.

Are you guys putting AoE/dps on the whelps your tanking or do you just let Consecrate and your damage kill them off slowly?
Scotthew

Postby Aalryn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:50 am

Scotthew wrote:Yes we were still killing one hatcher, but when the one left to run free runs out of eggs on one side, it will run to the other side and spawn all 20 eggs in one cast. This about the same time I'm dying. Even with spamming Cleanse I would still get a hefty stack of debuffs because of the sheer quantity of whelps. I do notice that you're geared far beyond me. I need strats that work for a guild that clears KZ but has never set foot in a 25-man. I also don't have FR gear at my disposal.

Are you guys putting AoE/dps on the whelps your tanking or do you just let Consecrate and your damage kill them off slowly?

I dont wear fire resist gear. when all of the eggs are killed I divine shield off up to around 60 flame buffets.

I dont take much damage at all and someone who is not geared to how I am should have no problem doing the exact same thing.

As far as AOE, I call for it after all the eggs are spawned. usually as soon as that happens is the first fireball port phase. at that time i move to the far end. after he blows up the balls, the aoe happens. I go to the far end and let the dragonhawks come to me so that there is less time that i'm taking damage (and they dont surround me)

I've done this every reset of the instance so far and as long as i have been far from the boss, i've never gotten flame breathed once.

if you want to aoe sooner, just BOP your aoe-er. the hawks die fast and you dont need to worry about your aoe-er getting agro then
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 am

Scott, we ran into the same problems you are discussing at first too. Here is what worked best for us, we still don't hatch them all at once, it just scares me :)

Here is the secret to the fight, you get a mage to put dampen magic on you. That turned the whelp tanking from high damage to me not even needing heals really.

As the hatchers spawn, I mark one for the raid to kill. I also stun him to buy them more time (definitely helps in case somebody is late getting to him, since you don't want eggs hatching on both sides). Then I follow the other hatcher over and sit there. I judge the first hawk, then I start concecrating. You have the most time to break eggs before a summons happens on the very first break cycle so take advantage of it and let him break at least 4 or 5 rounds and call for your dps to finish him off. Concecrate (i'm in full spell damage gear with fire resist aura up). You'll get the timing down but have the mage frost nova them in place so in case you get ported you can easily get back to keep concecrating. I always run back over during the grenade phase to keep them on me. I may get 1 or 2 that went loose I just taunt them back no problem. Call for AOE and it's over.

We do it in 4 cycles now and honestly, I take 0 damage with dampen magic. I'll cleanse myself inbetween if I have time but having 10 or 20 up on you isn't that big of a deal with dampen on. Worse case, bubble after you finish a round of hawks and remove all your debuffs.

Hope that helps.
YoYoMa

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:55 am

Oh and once I call for it we have the lock seed, and the mage aoe too. Hunters can do their volley if they are bored but it's not that necessary to have more than 2 helping you aoe them down.

I don't use any FR gear, just dampen magic with FR aura up. I do have a mix of T4 and T5 level gear.
YoYoMa

Postby Stylaan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:53 am

I do it:

Kill 1 hatcher, dps other hatcher to ~20%, let him full hatch that side, kill him, tank all 20, aoe it down, DS off the debuffs, wait for the second hatcher rotation and let them just full hatch the other side, aoe it down, focus on Jan'alai for the remainder.

I've tried the *tank all 40* method but sometimes I found my healers forgetting I was tanking all 40 and since the fire ports mean everyone's running around a lot sometimes I got very few heals :\

That said, I've done it, but waiting on a second hatcher rotation isn't all that much time wasted anyways.
Stylaan

Postby Morganim » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Just wanted to say
This week i was in za and we decided that we'd kill one sides hatcher straight away and then let a couple eggs hatch on the other side so itd be about 4 goes for all eggs to die.

*warlock nubs up*

We got ALL the adds from one side on first hatching, consecrate grabbed them all and with 1 priest only healing me it was easy mode so i DI'd out of buffet and went and did the same on the other side. Then we just zerged the boss. I do stress to DI out of first set of buffets tho mine stacked to 250% fire damage lol

Easiest kill of this boss so far :D

oh and i got a shield out of it :D goodbye nightbane one 8)
Morganim

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:20 pm

We're gonna need Divine Intervention on our mages so they can AE!
Invisusira

Postby Morganim » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:39 pm

Invisusira wrote:We're gonna need Divine Intervention on our mages so they can AE!

2x Locks seed spaming really is hax
Morganim

Postby Kylen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Pally tanks should try to acquire 3 sets of gear: Stam gear for bosses, +block value for aoe tanking, and a some +damage gear for quick trash killing.

The block value gear comes into play if you want to aoe tank all the dragonhawks. With 550ish block value I take no damage from them when I block an attack.

I had trouble initially grabbing aggro when the hawks spawn, but I made it easy mode by using ret aura + sanctity and standing in the middle of the eggs. By standing in the middle of the eggs, the dragonhawks will rush you first before they run to a healer, usually attacking you once. This also gives them more time to get that 1st consecrate tick. Additionally, you will not take flame breath's from the boss.
Kylen

Postby Kyroro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:13 am

I tank all the dragonhawks on one side, have them AOE'd them down, then move on to the next side.

It helps to have the trinket that heals you for 120 when you block an attack when all the birds are on you. Typically the AOE doesn't happen until after the bombs, because when the birds spawn he ports everyone to the center. Survive the bombs, AOE, move on to the next side.

Bubble to get rid of the debuffs. Otherwise healing on you becomes retarded.

I use all block gear to tank all the adds on one side. 493 block value, 35.49% block.

It helps to have a hunter put down a frost trap on the bridge so that the dragonhawks will get full ticks of your consecrate. Earthbind totem also works but sometimes it doesn't pulse and the birds fly straight out of your consecrate.

I tank all the birds on the bridge, consecrate does work there. You just need an AOE snare to keep them there. Healers sometimes will get a bird aggro'd to them if they happen to toss a big heal. Save your taunt for those situations or call for melee DPS to kill that single bird.
Kyroro

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 am

I just wanted to drop into this thread real quick and thank everyone for what they've posted.

My guild has been stuck on Dragonhawk for two weeks (and many many wipes). We don't have any Paladin mains in our guild and it took a bit for the raid leader to finally agree that brining in a tankadin alt was for the better.

Without the tankadin, we would always die shortly after the 35% point due to him releasing the remaining eggs. I think our best attempt had 10 total eggs left to spawn. We killed all of the eggs but we lost a healer and a DPS and coudln't take him from his remaining health to zero.

Now fast forward to this previous week...

We brought in our one "good" tankadin and killed the boss on the second or third attempt. Mostly, we were just trying to get a feel for how many birds he could tank. It ended up being all of them. He is a KZ and Heroic Badge geared tank that still has room for upgrades. He told me he was mana starving when we tried to take half the eggs on each side so we decided to let a whole side hatch at once.

The strat where you run to the other side if the boss starts the fireball stage before the adds are down was beautiful. Occasioanlly a few got loose but one or two isn't an issue. He was consecrating on top of the eggs so that the dps and dedicated healer could be on the bridge and avoiding LoS from the bosses bragon breath ability.

So, we finally got our first kill. The shield dropped and our Warrior Main Tank who is also the class leader and an officer in the guild happily passed the shield over to "Shields" our tankadin.

So, thanks again everyone. These tips here helped tremendously!

P.S. Our guild has KZ and Gruul on farm. We've killed Hydross twice but never Lurker. That's the level of our gear.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Ceyfu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Hai, Iz newcomer here, Cey, level 70 tankadin ^.^ Kilrogg server.

Anyway, Ive tanked everything in ZA and Kz, as well as the High King and his various buddies.

My Dragonhawk strat is to take the whole first side first - kill the left hatcher, let the other come running to me on the bridge - I stand where he stops, and the second he gets near me I drop a cons under him and back off - judge right on the first mob, cons, taunt the second two if they arent on me immediatly, and then just take the whole side down. When teleported run the &#$% back and keep em all together. Once the first side is down, I either take down the whole side (if i trust all the healers that night :-P) or take them down slowly. Either way, there arent any left at enrage, and i can cast some judgements and throw some heals around.

No idea if any of that is new info, but yeah.

Now if i can just get my group to all survive stage three of Zul'jin i'll be happy. Dropping him only once so far is bothering me.

Thanks much, (and to Invisisura for the help)

Cey
Cey
Level 70 Paladin (prot)
Kilrogg

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... rogg&n=Cey
Ceyfu

Postby Demetrious » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:03 am

Am I the only retard that tanks the boss and the adds at the same time?

Have yet to be crushing blowed by the boss since the birds are pretty much guaranteed to proc redoubt. I understand it's a bit more healing intensive, but typically my guild's strats revolve around getting as much DPS as possible on the board without having dead spots in the raid. I usually run with a warrior DPS/OT for utility mob debuffs and melee buffs. Maybe I'll try using a separate tank for the boss and the adds at some point, but so far this has worked pretty well for us.

Basically, I aggro the boss, pull him to the entrance of one of the ramps and wait. DPS destroys the hatcher running to the opposite side and lets the one on my side start hatching. We loose 4-5 waves, drop the hatcher and then AE the dragonhawks. Pretty much guaranteed to get a teleport/bomb before we're done, but that provides ample opportunity to cleanse. Pick up the boss, finish the adds, and repeat. If the hatchers run to a side opposite from where I am tanking the boss, I simply spin and move him to the other side.

Just posting this because I haven't heard any mention of this strat, and thus far NOT bringing to dedicated tanks into the instance has proven to be worthwhile for timed events and clearing, since we don't CC anything we don't have to.

-Demetrious
Got Aggro?
Demetrious

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:52 am

I tank a whole side , with the help of a fury warrior who cleaves , whirlwinds , consecrate does it job , they come on me = win

After like around 5 whipes on him , we where using the strategy to let one hatcher spawn a few egs then kill him , raid leader decides to let a whole side hatch , result , a good kill :)

No shield though :(
Io.Draco

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman