Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Aalryn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:44 pm

sindorei wrote:
Aalryn wrote:If the hatchers go to separate sides we kill one.

The other hatcher will pop eggs like normal. When I get ported back into the room, I'll run right back to the entrance to the tunnel and lay down another consecrate. After the hatcher pops all of them one one side, he stops and walks over to the other side. Fortunately when he gets there he doesn't start back popping 1. He'll pop the entire side in one or two hits.

so did you mean it will be much easier to have 1 hatcher pops all adds first and then aoe them down, shift to another side once cleared. then zerg the boss.

yea i think so. Those adds do so little damage to you, and it's so easy for us to tank them all. Get them out of the way as fast as possible while healers have mana, and no one is dead to messing up on the bubbles. Not only that, but you dont have the chance that you will have to "hold dps for the eggs to break"
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Lansky » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 pm

Joanadark wrote:.....

well, if your strat for Illidan is to kite him around a pillar using Judgement of Justice.....then yes....Minor Speed to Boots enchant would "help"....

....but why on earth would you do that strat?

We tend to let me tank as many targets as I can just because well I can. If kiting Illidan around a piller made for a cleaner, faster, and less stressful kill I'd do it. 365 FR made hatching one side, then powering him down and hatching another entire side a very easy to execute strat and a much faster kill in an instance that does reward speed. Considering that most of the damage I take is fire I'll keep doing it.

Would I farm FR for this fight? No.
Do I wear the FR I already have? Yes.
Lansky

Postby Juliette » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 pm

The healing shield he drops is SO pretty. If it ever drops and no-one else needs, I will take it for sure and respec Holy for a few weeks :) Hopefully I'll get the full Tier 5 set and a pretty blue/purple weapon too, like the Arena mace
Juliette

Postby sindorei » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Juliette wrote:The healing shield he drops is SO pretty. If it ever drops and no-one else needs, I will take it for sure and respec Holy for a few weeks :) Hopefully I'll get the full Tier 5 set and a pretty blue/purple weapon too, like the Arena mace

much better than nightbane shield overall. we have a shaman and pally currently waiting for it
sindorei

Postby Juliette » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Anyone know of a video with a paladin tanking the adds in it? I will most likely have to do this in a few days because I suggested it to the guild. There are plenty of videos out there on the boss, but not many from a Prot Pally's perspective.
Juliette

Postby Aalryn » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:16 pm

Juliette wrote:Anyone know of a video with a paladin tanking the adds in it? I will most likely have to do this in a few days because I suggested it to the guild. There are plenty of videos out there on the boss, but not many from a Prot Pally's perspective.

I'm doing it again on monday.. i'll fraps it when I do... hell i'll fraps the whole run. Just dont expect music or anything =D I dont know how to make movies lol, but I do have a registered copy of fraps and I just tested it, and it doesn't lag me running it at all.

(this means you'll probably be able to hear vent though which may be more useful since you can hear some strats =D)
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:23 pm

Juliette wrote:Anyone know of a video with a paladin tanking the adds in it?

I'll have this in my ZA video, but it won't be out for a while =3
I just have them break one side, me AE tank it all, then break the other side, then tank and/or spank.
Invisusira

Postby Demiblade » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:48 am

I just have my hunter put a frost trap after bridge.

Then, I AoE tank everything in the east in 1 wave, then everything in the west in next wave. 500 BV was enough to fully block their melee damage. 3 ranged DPS including hunter is assigned to manage the hatchers. If I get teleported to centre, my consecretion ticks on ground will just pick up all hatchlings to me as they run through frost trap and we nuke down everything at centre. I self cleanse whenever free.

Doing all hatchlings in just 2 clean waves basically makes this fight EZ mode because you can pretty much go watch TV once that 2 waves are cleared. We actually downed him on a progression kill with 2 prot pallies tanking boss and adds, and 3 DPS dead half way.

My buddy prot pally (same gear with me) just tanks the boss at the centre. Gotta love the lack of crushing blows on the main tank because we were wiping at him with better geared warrior and druid tanks (and only I could feasibly AoE tank everything at sides so I can't be on the boss at the same time either).
Demiblade

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 am

Invisusira wrote:
Juliette wrote:Anyone know of a video with a paladin tanking the adds in it?

I'll have this in my ZA video, but it won't be out for a while =3
I just have them break one side, me AE tank it all, then break the other side, then tank and/or spank.

This is pretty much what I do, but I mostly pick up loose adds while the majority are stuck to the mage killing them all.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Juliette » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 pm

So while you tank all the adds on one side first, what do you do about the ones that periodically spawn on the other side? Taunt them towards you? I can't believe it's as simple as tanking all on one side, and then all on the other side in 2 simple goes!
Juliette

Postby Stylaan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:53 pm

Juliette wrote:So while you tank all the adds on one side first, what do you do about the ones that periodically spawn on the other side? Taunt them towards you? I can't believe it's as simple as tanking all on one side, and then all on the other side in 2 simple goes!

There's two hatchers that spawn each time. Sometimes they go to one side, sometimes they go to opposite sides. Regardless, you kill one and then tank the ones on the side that has a hatcher.

After he's hatched enough of them you kill him to stop him from hatching the other side until the next wave of hatchers come out.

Depending how familiar/geared your group is you can let him hatch different numbers of eggs before killing him.

He hatches 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 at a time I believe, so after 4 hatches you should have 10 hatchlings. There's 20 per side.
Stylaan

Postby Balls » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:56 am

Generally said, its a pretty easy job. Our warrior MT sits in the middle and I stand on top of him watching the stairs for the hatchers. One gets marked and he's supposed to stay alive so i follow him in whichever direction he runs. I wait for the first bird to spawn before I consecrate so it gets hit by teh first tick, then I stick a Judgement on it and then it sticks to me. Tank it atop the consecrate, taunt the scond wave (2 birds) and then miraculously with me just consecrating and holy shield I'll pick up all the rest that show up. Its a pain when you're just getting aggro on them all and he ports you to the middle. :(
Balls

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:12 am

Juliette wrote:So while you tank all the adds on one side first, what do you do about the ones that periodically spawn on the other side? Taunt them towards you? I can't believe it's as simple as tanking all on one side, and then all on the other side in 2 simple goes!

No, it's pretty much that simple. You kill one hatcher, so nothing spawns on that side. That's it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Blaen99 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 am

Sabindeus wrote:

No, it's pretty much that simple. You kill one hatcher, so nothing spawns on that side. That's it.

QFT. The fight isn't about the pally tank - it's about your DPS and healers not being stupid IMO.

We get DHawk down before his enrage at this point - DHawk is all about your DPS/healers not dying to the bombs/flame breath if you have a pally tank on the adds.
Blaen99

Postby Scotthew » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:18 am

We've been really struggling on this boss (so far I think it's been a lack of DPS issue), but our first attempts we tried to let one Hatcher run free and me tank all the adds on that side. I'm here to admit it went horribly. I don't know if it was a failing on my part or what but in about a minute's time there were 20-40 whelps destroying everyone. My Consecrate wouldn't pick up everything as healer aggro grew larger with the increasing amount of healing needed to be done. The fire debuff would also start stacking exponentially faster than Cleanse's GCD. Basically what would happen is I would fall behind on Cleansing my debuffs and by the time I got a 20 stack or so the boss would flame breath me and I'd collapse in a pile of ash. After a few attempts we abandoned that strat. Keeping me up was just too difficult with all 40 eggs spawned and the druid tanking the boss was taking heavy crushes.

We switched to me tanking the boss while 2-3 dps would kill one Hatcher immediately then wait for 3-7 eggs to spawn and kill the second Hatcher. This provided our best attempts, but we would often run into a problem where Fire Bombs would come just as the Hatchers did which always led to far too many whelps and the healers getting eaten.

What sort of gear were you paladins wearing who claim to tank all 40 adds at the beginning of the fight? What sort of gear was your raid in? If this strat is plausible for us, I'd like to try it again, but I made an ass of myself the first night claiming I could tank all the adds at the beginning. If we go with the typical strat, what can we do better to make sure spawns don't get out of control during Fire Bombs and at the 30% spawn all?

-Scotthew
Scotthew

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman