Remove Advertisements

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Joanadark » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 am

normally in all situations where there is stuff spawning or needing to be grabbed, such as the eggs being popped or simply the beginning of pulls in general, in addition to whatever else I'm doing I spam Seal of Righteousness.
Recasting the buff a few times does enough threat to get pretty much anything that someone didn't touch looking at you initially, and will normally be good for getting a Holy Shield proc on them to start you off.

Provided, of course, that your healers aren't running around trying to set world records.

This method serves me pretty well in any situation where theres a big multi-pull, such as hyjal trash waves or Solarian adds.

I had my old guild convinced that I just have this magical taunting aura that pulls everything that comes near me.

Its a great way to protect CCers trying to cast sheeps or banishes.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Tresjynn » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:11 am

Casting seals causes aggro on mobs? How much?
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Postby Joanadark » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:12 am

120 threat or so.
thats completely out of the top of my head.

"enough".
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Garov » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:23 am

Joanadark wrote:normally in all situations where there is stuff spawning or needing to be grabbed, such as the eggs being popped or simply the beginning of pulls in general, in addition to whatever else I'm doing I spam Seal of Righteousness.
Recasting the buff a few times does enough threat to get pretty much anything that someone didn't touch looking at you initially, and will normally be good for getting a Holy Shield proc on them to start you off.

Interesting trick. Gotta keep that in mind.
Garov

Postby Lansky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 am

Aye, casting seals helps a ton. I found that judging blood on the first hawk that spawned followed by HS/consecrate then casting a seal as each wave spawned would "magically" make all the other adds stick to me as well. I did not use FR gear but I probably will next time, assuming it helps prevent buffet stacks. Anyone know thow the buffet is applied? I'm assuming a partial check for the fire attack and a binary for the buffet, or is it an all or nothing attached to the fire damage and more FR won't prevent stacks? Either way the way we did it was:

1. Hatch ~1/4 of the eggs.
2. Hatch ~1/4 of the egss.
3. DPS him to 35%.
4. Hatch half of the eggs.
5. Dead boss.

Was a really clean kill this way even though we had adds from both sides at 35%, and without a prot paladin this fight seems like it would be a real bitch.
Lansky

Postby Quean » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:00 am

Joanadark wrote:120 threat or so.

saw that in another thread not too long ago...but is that before or after RF? 228 threat with RF = winsauce!
Quean

Postby Lore » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am

Quean wrote:
Joanadark wrote:120 threat or so.

saw that in another thread not too long ago...but is that before or after RF? 228 threat with RF = winsauce!

I kinda doubt it's with RF.

I usually use Seal of Wisdom while AOE tanking since the mana gain also gives AOE threat.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Blaen99 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:18 am

On a sidenote, EVERY time we popped all his eggs on one side, he would immediately do the time bomb.

And this is like 10+ attempts. Once the hatcher had popped every egg on a side, bam, teleport.

Anyone else noticed this?
Blaen99

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Blaen99 wrote:On a sidenote, EVERY time we popped all his eggs on one side, he would immediately do the time bomb.

And this is like 10+ attempts. Once the hatcher had popped every egg on a side, bam, teleport.

Anyone else noticed this?

We didn't take enough attempts to for me to notice a pattern, but I ran into the same issue on our kill: taking an entire side was no problem in terms of mitigation, but things got a little hectic when I got teleported while hawk were still spawning.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kayoto » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:07 pm

I had Flame Buffetx75 at one point during this fight (and we won).

14k flame breaths from the boss ftw!

We two shot him, took me awhile to figure out that it'd be a good idea to tank him near the hallway of the Hatcher that we DIDN'T insta-gib. After that, it was cake.
Kayoto

Postby Daine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Consecrate doesn't seem to affect dragonhawks until they are over the little bridge thing, or so it seemed. We'd kill off one hatcher, let the other release 4 waves, then kill him and aoe them down. Rinse/repeat - all dragonhawks were dead before the enrage, took us 3 or 4 hatcher waves I think.
GM of The New Expedition, Defias (EU). 9/9 BT, 5/5 MH, 1/6 SWP.
Daine

Postby Tekkel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 am

Hmm i'd have to try that. We only got 2 tries in before calling it a night but I took all hatchlings from 1 side by accident. Had no issues tanking it really. Blocked 100% of their damage so only the fire debuff got annoying.
We didn't get to kill them because our warlock dc'ed but with good gear u could probably take them all up at once.

Gonna try it again next time at least.
Tekkel

Postby Drabnaught » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 am

I had big issues trying to keep the dragonhawks on me at first, little bastards would just fly over the consecrate before it would hit them.

So we eventually came up with an easy solution: frost trap.

If you have a hunter (hopefully survival with imp traps) just have him put a frost trap in the middle of a bridge. It'll give time for your consecrate to pick up aggro.

Otherwise, it was pretty standard. Both hatchers run in; kill one asap, let the other hatch about 3-5 times. We decided to clear one side first, so we always let a hatcher go to the west side. By the time the boss enrages, you'll only have eggs on one side; and with that frosttrap, you'll be able to grab all of them no problem.

It was really nice finally getting this boss down. Too bad he didn't drop the shield. :(
Drabnaught

Postby Comma » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:18 am

Tekkel wrote:Hmm i'd have to try that. We only got 2 tries in before calling it a night but I took all hatchlings from 1 side by accident. Had no issues tanking it really. Blocked 100% of their damage so only the fire debuff got annoying.
We didn't get to kill them because our warlock dc'ed but with good gear u could probably take them all up at once.

Gonna try it again next time at least.

But the real problem is when he teleports you when you are still getting more dragonhawks hatched, the new spawns will be lose in control.
Comma

Postby rozakk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:02 pm

i noticed dampen magic brought the dmg i was taking down to a point i didnt even need heals tanking multiple hawks. even with flame buffet stacking up to 25 times or so the boss's breath only hit me for 6-7k so it wasn't too much of an issue. he did port us several times durin dragonhawk spawnings, which wasnt too terrible an issue, as the whole area up there is pretty small so rounding them up isnt hard, and theyre tauntable. I can see it being a problem if you're also tanking the boss but generally for this instance most raids will have 2 tanks anyways

A considerably easier boss with a prot paladin for sure.
rozakk

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman