Remove Advertisements

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby pallytank01 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 am

not sure if anyone has posted this in the thread already...but as an engineer - I use frost grenades to help lockdown hawks. that coupled with a frost trap or frost nova from a mage really helps control the situation.
pallytank01

Postby Thax » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 am

Dragonhawk hatchings
Made it to Dragonhawk for the first time last night, and was able to tank the dragonhawks without much difficulty. Gear and heals were there, and due to dps not paying attention, several times I ended up tanking one whole side unintentionally. We didn't manage to down him however b/c it was our guild's first progression attempt at the boss. For most of us there, it was our first time experiencing the bombs, including me (the MT,) and the bombs messed us up big time.

Twice, while tanking all the hatchlings on a side, I missed a bomb spawning at my feet and got nuked.

Is there anything that can be done to highlight the bombs, like ramping up spell settings for Nightbane's charred earth or changing the sound settigns for the rain on Eagle Avatar?

Also, does burning wings at the start of hatching have any benefit from the initial aggro? or is it too much for one hawk and not enough for three?
Yes, a Paladin can easily be the guy that gets put in front of something ugly and told to break the bad guy's equipment with his face before the bad guy breaks his face with his equipment. ~Lore
Thax

Postby lawlmk » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 am

Thax wrote:Dragonhawk hatchings
Made it to Dragonhawk for the first time last night, and was able to tank the dragonhawks without much difficulty. Gear and heals were there, and due to dps not paying attention, several times I ended up tanking one whole side unintentionally. We didn't manage to down him however b/c it was our guild's first progression attempt at the boss. For most of us there, it was our first time experiencing the bombs, including me (the MT,) and the bombs messed us up big time.

Twice, while tanking all the hatchlings on a side, I missed a bomb spawning at my feet and got nuked.

Is there anything that can be done to highlight the bombs, like ramping up spell settings for Nightbane's charred earth or changing the sound settigns for the rain on Eagle Avatar?

Also, does burning wings at the start of hatching have any benefit from the initial aggro? or is it too much for one hawk and not enough for three?

Put a mark on a dpsers head like a mage thats using arcane explosion (preferably a dps that knows how to avoid bombs good) near you and just run to him exactly him and if hes smart neither of you will get hit.
lawlmk

Postby toddy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:08 am

What i do on that boss is wait on the brigde and wait till the guy start hatching the eggs throw a consecrate and go back so i don't get teleported in bomb thing, have a hunter do ice trap so the birds go slower and u can pick them up in consecrate. i only do consecrate and cleanse to remove the debuff, so i don't die to fire attack of the boss. after all the hatcs r on me 2 dps help me kill them, and we r done 15-10 seconds before second hatchers show up, more then enuf time to cleanse all the debuff and get the second wave, after that is just spank the boss wich is really easy.
Toddy
Prot Pally Bolderfist US Server
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... st&n=Toddy
toddy

Postby rabbel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 am

Be cautious with the Hunter's Icetrap. While its very nice to have the birds slowed down for more Consecration ticks you'll have a very hard time to see the bombs on the icy ground. I prefer a Shamans Earthbind Totem if available because I can see the bombs a lot better.
rabbel

Postby ydraw » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 am

We've recently been doing this boss with only 1 tank. If I am tanking on my pally, the warrior or druid OT will simply put on his DPS gear.

1 DPS is delegated to control the hatcher. Typically we kill the first one, then let the hatcher hatch half 1 side before killing him.

Since the first few birds spawn 1 at a time, then 2 at a time, the DPS has them dead before they get to the end of the bridge. Then the warlocks AOE the last pack of 4.

Repeat for both sides then tank + spank the boss.

The main advantage of this strat when DO have a pally tank is that you are cutting down the chances of being randomly gibbed by massive amounts of debuff + flame breath.
ydraw

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:58 am

Avoiding the bombs for me isk inda simple. Take a mental photograph of the zone around you when he starts shooting, and just pay attention to where it's still free. If a bomb lands on your feet, just move there. You have plenty time and moving the birds is not an issue at all.

Hell, if you're FR capped you don't even need to avoid the bombs, they barely touch you >.<
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Even with capped FR, you are risking it with the bombs. Their binary. Full hit or no hit. Chances of you taking a hit from there are low, but just moving a few spaces to avoid it is easy.

Kill one hatcher, pop a side, aoe them down, kill the hatcher. Rince'n'repeat, collect epics.
Seloei

Postby Ryuusuke » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:03 am

Well. this is what we did, too - earlier in the days, that is...

We usually kill the 1st hatcher to the right - left side open - AoE them Down
When every Dragonhawk is hatched we simply AoE them down and let the hatcher walk to the other side, where a pally healer hammers him - just for a few more seconds.

Bubble to remove debuffs

The other side comes in two or three hatches so its pretty easy to grab them all. First Consec, Spdmg.Trinket 2nd Consec - 3rd Consec and there goes the AoE

For us this is a little bit faster furthermore i find it way easier to grad the adds when they all come together.
Ryuusuke

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:48 am

Killing 1 hatcher and doing 1 side, then not killing anything and doing the second side worked nice for me. I tank all the birds quickly + the hatchers, they don't hurt. In this case I consecrate the area where they keep hatching stuff.

Also I didn't mean to say "cap fr then ignore shit". it's just that you can actually risk it if you're confused to move away from the bombs. It's fairly easy to stay away from them as both a tank, a dpser, or a healer.
Keep Spamcleansing yourself during the bomb spreading if you can, this gives you much more freedom to move around.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Mishakal » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:27 pm

We clear each side in full, one at a time.

I go and throw conc in the bridge part and then move out, this often gets the first few which as pointed out can take a liking to healers.

We also have a hunter throw down a slow trap at the end of the bridge meaning they spend more time in the conc I am doing there.

Also letting 1 or 2 get away isnt a problem we have the rogue that was killing the hatcher chase them down, the person they are on come to me, use taunt or BOP.

Clearing them in 2 pulls has really made this fight easier, we were doing it in 4 sets and this often got us toasted.

Dealing with the birds in 2 waves means that the DPS can then focus on the boss, the healers on the MT, not having to worry about them makes all the difference.
Mishakal

Postby Sacrificed » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 am

I have a hunter place a frost trap on the bridge, and consecrate till the birds are dead. When I don't have a hunter I have a shaman drop earthbind.

When he starts doing the bomb thing pick a spot 5 or so yards away from the center where there are no bombs and move there. He throws them from middle outward, so if you find a good spot in the middle you don't have to worry about watching for more.

I have not died during the dragonhawk boss in a long time, but I've only had 9 or 10 successful bear runs.

And we always do it one side at a time, often the second side gets called before the hatchers finish hatching, which works well for us. You should Divine Protection yourself between sides to minimize some of the AoE damage you take.(Also after you get enough debuffs the bosses cone damage starts to hurt)
Sacrificed

Postby Tiranknight » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Sacrificed wrote:I have a hunter place a frost trap on the bridge, and consecrate till the birds are dead. When I don't have a hunter I have a shaman drop earthbind.

When he starts doing the bomb thing pick a spot 5 or so yards away from the center where there are no bombs and move there. He throws them from middle outward, so if you find a good spot in the middle you don't have to worry about watching for more.

I have not died during the dragonhawk boss in a long time, but I've only had 9 or 10 successful bear runs.

And we always do it one side at a time, often the second side gets called before the hatchers finish hatching, which works well for us. You should Divine Protection yourself between sides to minimize some of the AoE damage you take.(Also after you get enough debuffs the bosses cone damage starts to hurt)

Fully agree with the above, Just finished Offtanking for this Boss... and we downed him this time after repeated failures last week.

Hunter placed a Frost Trap on the Bridge and that really made the difference, was able to pick them up with Consecrate a lot easier... biggest part was avoiding the Fire Bombs while the Eggs are still hatching. With upwards of 10+ Hawklings on you, and all these Fire Bombs flying around that's a lot of chaos on your screen going around. The first couple of times I went in there I was so concerned with the Hawkling adds I got kapowned by fire bombs.

This time I just made sure I had my camera angle adjusted so I could get a good overhead view, and we marked one of our Healers who was really good at avoiding the bombs with a raid Icon. Priority 1 is avoiding the bombs... you do no good dead... After you get 1 whole side down. Bubble off the debuffs, and repeat for the other side.

Took me like 5-6 tries before I started to get the hang of it so don't feel discouraged if you can't get it right away. (some kind of slowing mechanism really helps Frost trap, earthbind)
Tiranknight

Postby Canuun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:41 pm

Tiranknight wrote:Took me like 5-6 tries before I started to get the hang of it so don't feel discouraged if you can't get it right away. (some kind of slowing mechanism really helps Frost trap, earthbind)

When I don't have a shaman or hunter, I time RF for the first set of birds and an on use threat trinket (Silver Crescent in my case) for the second. This is almost as reliable as a slowing effect, and by using RF first forbearance will be off before you have to start tanking the second wave, so you can bubble off the debuffs. Just be sure to run to a side platform inbetween to avoid getting hit by flame breaths with a large stack of the debuff.
Canuun

Postby Jtree » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:23 pm

No wings, no trinkets, no problems:

I run in and drop consecration in the nest, so the hatchlings get hit as soon as they spawn. JoR on the first and actively try to smack the next two, and then there's no chance for healer aggro to overtop my own. Sometimes the second or third wave start to fly past me, but turn back before they reach the end of my consecration radius.

I'll walk back slowly, to keep the hatchlings in the tight confines of the bridge, but I'll let the dragonhawk port me back to the middle. I find it easier to find a safe spot then, and I've always had plenty of aggro from the finishing consecration on the bridge to make sure that all twenty come to me. AoE them down, kill off the second pair of hatchers, then the boss hits 35% and the other side pops in one go. Consecrate, AoE, kill boss, profit.
Jtree

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman