Remove Advertisements

Jan'alai - Dragonhawk Avatar

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Melgrath » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:52 pm

To be honest when I do the adds, I just pop consecrate, HS, then just spam cleanse myself. While the debuffs stack up faster than I can cleanse, it helps lower the dmg I take. If our spriest is threat capped on the boss he throws a few dispels at me as well.

Once one side is done, I just bubble to clear my debuffs and head to the other side to repeat. On the second side though we just have both hatchers spawn em faster so pretty much I use a spell dmg trinket for aggro on that part and let the locks/mages open up earlier to avoid issues with the flame breath + debuffs.

On a side note we DO use more casters than seems most groups do. Have 2 mages and a lock for AOE and sometimes even take a second lock, so the adds are kind of a joke.
Melgrath

Postby Jhereg » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:50 am

I use my Fel Barrier+Phoenix Fire band for FR gear+my FR aura. I haven't been fried in a long time. Make sure to have a shaman or hunter drop a slow at the foot of bridge, it helps immensely in getting 2-3 consec ticks when you get ported. This will keep them from running to the healers.

Added tips: If you are aiming for chests, pop heroism(s) while you're AoEing the first side of adds. The way it works out for us is:

pop one side-->heroism-->AoE-->Divine Shield off debuffs-->all dps on Jan-->BEFORE next hatchers arrives, he hits enrage and pops the full side, which is just trivial to pick up all at once and AoE down.

It makes the fight so, much, faster.

Also, never, ever turn around when tanking a side, I believe the debuff is added on successful hits in a similar manner to SoV stacks, so you have a much greater chance of getting a high stack and getting gibbed by a breath if you spin.
Jhereg

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Achtung wrote:So high FR means you will resist the debuff stacks, or most of them at any rate?

You resist most of the debuffs, and the fire damage you do take is greatly reduced anyway. You still have melee damage from the dragonhawks, but healers shouldn't have any issues keeping you up.

It's very doable without FR gear, it's just more likely that something goes wrong (esp. flame breath). When I used to do this without FR gear, about 75% of the damage I took on the fight was fire-based according to WWS.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Achtung » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm currently getting a group organised to try for some timers. And last week we had a huge holdup with this boss simply because we would get unlucky with the flame breaths hitting me. So, FR gear is something I'm gonna pick up just to help push the envelope on this fight.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby Sthallas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Achtung wrote:I'm currently getting a group organised to try for some timers. And last week we had a huge holdup with this boss simply because we would get unlucky with the flame breaths hitting me. So, FR gear is something I'm gonna pick up just to help push the envelope on this fight.

If you do it without FR (or even wth really) make sure you reiterate to the AoEers especially but to everyone NOT TO GET IN A DIRECT LINE between you and the boss. Just pick 1 spot to hold the hawks and then the aoe sits on the other side of the hawks from you or idealy just range AoE's them down.
Sthallas

Postby Chevy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:28 pm

My guild is having trouble with dragonhawk. I've been tanking all of the dragonhawks on one side while they kill the hatcher on the other. Our problem is people dieing to bombs, and we're working to get past that, part of the problem is it's hard to see where the bombs are with the dragonhawks cluttering up the area.

Does anyone know what the changes in 2.4 did to him specifically? It sounds like he wont port you unless you're past the firewalls based on the patch notes.

Any advice?
Chevy

Postby Sthallas » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:47 am

Chevy wrote:Any advice?

Yes, watch the bombs go flying past you into the mob of hawks and reposition to avoid where they landed, no one else should be around the hawks until after the bombs go off IMO just burn them down with ranged AoE. Also you are correct, he will not port you unless you are just in the firewall.

PS. if people continue to die to bombs they need to be replaced with people that aren't functionally retarded. Harsh, yes but also true, dying to the bright glowy things on the ground is a retard check.
Sthallas

Postby Huon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 am

Sthallas wrote:
Chevy wrote:Any advice?

Yes, watch the bombs go flying past you into the mob of hawks and reposition to avoid where they landed, no one else should be around the hawks until after the bombs go off IMO just burn them down with ranged AoE. Also you are correct, he will not port you unless you are just in the firewall.

PS. if people continue to die to bombs they need to be replaced with people that aren't functionally retarded. Harsh, yes but also true, dying to the bright glowy things on the ground is a retard check.

what he said!

also, it is SO much easier now that you dont get ported with 25 mobs on you =/ just sit there, find a safe spot and AoE your heart out!
Huon

Postby Garov » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:35 pm

I almost don't like the no-teleport change. I used to take the egg platforms in halves. I guess I could let the entire platform hatch now. I really miss the teleport?
Garov

Postby kensanity » Sun May 04, 2008 4:04 pm

If u want to see my armory you can check Myrmidantwon on Frostwolf (alliance)

Yesterday was the first time ever seeing the boss. (my gear isn't that great). We had a warrior main tank janalai and had me do the eggs. I did 80% of one side, then the 20%, then in the last hatching phase all of the third side (our dps was fairly slow so getting to 35% took ages)

I was spamming seals, RD, and consecrate to try to get aggro off healers and for the most part was able to catch most of the mobs. One thing I noticed though (and i dont know if my avoidiance stats are just a little too high in dodge and too low in block) was that I wasn't taking adequate enough damage in order for heals to keep my mana up (could be cuz of high rank consecrate spamming) anyhow, sans the unlucky fire breath by the boss, tanking the adds is not that much of a problem. I only did the fight with like 470 spell damage so, yeah, but then again most of my dps was in t4 gear.

anyway, jsut thought i'd throw in my experience for low level tanks trying to try it.

one thing that seems helpful is not getting a frost trap or a frost nova, need to make sure i get that next time :)
kensanity

Postby Taeron » Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 pm

So how does the 2.4 change work? There is no teleport if people aren't too far?

So you consecrate before the bridge now, not on it?

Thanks.
Taeron

Postby mazater » Mon May 05, 2008 12:12 am

Taeron wrote:So how does the 2.4 change work? There is no teleport if people aren't too far?

So you consecrate before the bridge now, not on it?

Thanks.

That's correct.
If you are in the bridge, or in the little 'room' where the eggs are, you will get teleported back when the bombs are cast.

If you are standing before the brige, you will not be teleported, however, do NOT stand right before the bridge or the flamewall will keel you.(I got killed a few times like this)
mazater

Postby Tyaera » Mon May 05, 2008 12:16 am

Here's a tip.

Don't try to tank them on the main platform.

By the time the hawks get to you, the main tank healers would have generated at least 2-3k threat from healing the tank. A single consecrate tick isn't going to pick them up.

Instead, tank them on the egg platform itself. Your consecrate will pick them up as soon as they spawn, leaving no chance of them escaping.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 05, 2008 2:45 am

Tyaera wrote:Here's a tip.

By the time the hawks get to you, the main tank healers would have generated at least 2-3k threat from healing the tank. A single consecrate tick isn't going to pick them up.

Instead, tank them on the egg platform itself. Your consecrate will pick them up as soon as they spawn, leaving no chance of them escaping.

I like to avoid teleporting. The easiest way is to stay right before the bridge, judge one hawk, taunt the next two. From there consecration alone snags the hawks and stick them to you.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Tyaera wrote:Here's a tip.

I like to avoid teleporting. The easiest way is to stay right before the bridge, judge one hawk, taunt the next two. From there consecration alone snags the hawks and stick them to you.

QFT.

No need to tank them on the egg platform if you use JoR/AS/Taunts on the first few. Once you have enough adds, healing aggro gets divided down into oblivion compared to consecrate.
jere

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman