Bear Boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Rainge » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:12 pm

Stylaan wrote:Halazzi and Nalorakk are the only ones that can't crush. Jan'alai, Akil'zon, Malacrass and Zul'jin can all crush.


Quoting this because I've seen a lot of people saying "several" bosses can't crush, and a lot of garbage in trade chat that only Zul'jin crushes. Bear and Lynx bosses can't crush (arguably the only bosses that require more than one tank). All the others can and do.
Image
User avatar
Rainge
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 am

Postby utena » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Bear and Lynx were built for bare durids, absolutely no question.

When do we start seeing some built-for-tankadin bosses... =/
Image
User avatar
utena
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:47 pm

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Utena wrote:Bear and Lynx were built for bare durids, absolutely no question.

When do we start seeing some built-for-tankadin bosses... =/


Actually, AD serves us quite well on both of those fights...and if the Dragonhawk boss isn't a Tankadin boss I don't know what is. Don't be fooled by the big mob in the middle...running around grabbing adds, letting them stack up, and calling for AoE at the right time is a much more interesting job than spamming your threat rotation while trying not to fall asleep.
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Postby Balls » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:08 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Utena wrote:Bear and Lynx were built for bare durids, absolutely no question.

When do we start seeing some built-for-tankadin bosses... =/


Actually, AD serves us quite well on both of those fights...and if the Dragonhawk boss isn't a Tankadin boss I don't know what is. Don't be fooled by the big mob in the middle...running around grabbing adds, letting them stack up, and calling for AoE at the right time is a much more interesting job than spamming your threat rotation while trying not to fall asleep.


Have to admit though its a pain in the arse when you're first gathering them up, usually I'll pick up the first bird, missed the 2 birds after and then pickup the 4 birds that show up and I've gotta then turn around and taunt the 2 randoms off a healer.
Image
Balls
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:09 am

Postby Zhalseran » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Utena wrote:Bear and Lynx were built for bare durids, absolutely no question.

When do we start seeing some built-for-tankadin bosses... =/


Paladins are the AoE tank, and as much as Blizzard will always try and ensure we can function in allsituations, chances are it will be unlikely to see a boss made for Paladins. Although Prince is pretty damn tailored towards Paladins, most people just don't realize it =)

That said, lawl tanked Nalorakk, easy pie.
User avatar
Zhalseran
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Tanking Bear

Postby Shakkra » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 am

Hi everyone, I could use a bit of advice.

We had two attempts at zul'aman so far, and both times couldnt manage Nalorakk. Im not entirely sure whats lacking - tank, heal, dps - possibly all areas. Positioning and tank rotation work fine, but the bear phase tank consistently gets smished (best try about 23% but healers started to go oom).

Tank:

Druid at 17.5k life buffed
Me at 17.2 life buffed (13.2 without)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Shakkra

Healers:

Paladin ~1650 +heal
Paladin ~1400 +heal
Priest ~1800 +heal

Mostly I get to tank the bear phase and because of the physical dots I try to gear for stamina (not much available though im afraid). Im finding myself in the ardent defender range much more often then Id like and sooner or later theres one hit too many.

Is there anything I could do to reduce the dot damage?
Are we simply not geared enough for zul'aman?

As far as Kara is concerned, we have yet to beat some bosses (nightbane, nethergroll,illhoof) but I can tank prince just fine.
Shakkra
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:25 am

Postby Eliane » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:48 am

edit: wrong forums
Last edited by Eliane on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Eliane
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 3:59 am

Re: Tanking Bear

Postby Stylaan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:49 am

Shakkra wrote:Hi everyone, I could use a bit of advice.

We had two attempts at zul'aman so far, and both times couldnt manage Nalorakk. Im not entirely sure whats lacking - tank, heal, dps - possibly all areas. Positioning and tank rotation work fine, but the bear phase tank consistently gets smished (best try about 23% but healers started to go oom).

Tank:

Druid at 17.5k life buffed
Me at 17.2 life buffed (13.2 without)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Shakkra

Healers:

Paladin ~1650 +heal
Paladin ~1400 +heal
Priest ~1800 +heal

Mostly I get to tank the bear phase and because of the physical dots I try to gear for stamina (not much available though im afraid). Im finding myself in the ardent defender range much more often then Id like and sooner or later theres one hit too many.

Is there anything I could do to reduce the dot damage?
Are we simply not geared enough for zul'aman?

As far as Kara is concerned, we have yet to beat some bosses (nightbane, nethergroll,illhoof) but I can tank prince just fine.


If you can tank prince you can tank Nalorakk. The issue likely falls on your DPS not being able to bring down his 1.7 million health before your healers OOM, assuming your healers have reasonable kara geared regeneration stats as well as the plus heal you've listed.

Nalorakk, like prince, favours one avoidance tank and one stamina tank because of the nature of his two forms, but we typically run with 2 stamina oriented tanks anyways >_>

Your stats are on the low-end, but I typically don't flask for him and we usually have fort + kings + commanding as buffs so I'm tanking him in the 18-19k health range. I prefer tanking human form, since if one of my taunts is resisted I can BoP the other tank and clear his bleeds for him in addition to bringing the mob back to me. The other way around, the BoP would only clear the mangle which doesn't really help the healers. Though if the OT misses a taunt you can DS out of the bleed if you were tanking the bear. So I guess it's dependant on who misses taunts more often :P The warrior I partner with puts on his trash gear for Nalorakk which is designed for front loading threat with high BV, expertise and hit rating so he rarely misses anything, much less a taunt XD.
Image
Stylaan
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:28 am

Re: Tanking Bear

Postby Shakkra » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:55 am

Thanks.

Stylaan wrote:If you can tank prince you can tank Nalorakk. The issue likely falls on your DPS not being able to bring down his 1.7 million health before your healers OOM, assuming your healers have reasonable kara geared regeneration stats as well as the plus heal you've listed.


Umm .. what would be reasonable numbers for paladin / priest healers? Never been holy :-/ As far as I understand paladins rely more on crit than on mp5?
Shakkra
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:25 am

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 am

Those stats should be fine. Personally I've not yet successfully tanked prince because of one thing or another, and I did Nalorakk last night really easily.

Me on Troll - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... r&n=Elysia
Bear tank - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... dar&n=Dasz

healers:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Murigann
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... r&n=Sasara
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Silentsin

What are your healers' mana pool/mp5 like? Are they falling down during the silences?
User avatar
Zhalseran
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Postby Stylaan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:01 am

Paladins should have minimum 90-100 unbuffed MP5 and about 17-20% holy crit to consider this, since it is a chain healing fight, less mp5 and more crit could be used to compensate.

Priests should shoot for 130-150 mp5 unbuffed. All numbers while casting.

Chain potting will be a virtue.
Image
Stylaan
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:28 am

Postby Shakkra » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:18 am

Paladin 1 @ 1533+heal / 14,92 crit / 73mp5
Paladin 2 @ 1403+heal / 15,91 crit / 48mp5
Priest @ 1689+heal / 144mp5

... all unbuffed

And afaik my death is usually following a silence.

So at least the paladins will need more mana regeneration it seems. Probably need more dps aswell. What kind of raid dps should one bring against Nalorakk? Sorry for being clueless :)
Shakkra
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:25 am

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am

If your death is following a silence then your healers need to prepare for that. Resto druids are awesome for any fight with a silence, but its a short one, so as long as the priest has renew ticking it shouldn't be a problem.

Part of the problem with this fight is, it is long and can get very strenuous on the healers. In general the DPS does not matter, its an easy fight to DPS and there are virtually nothing DPS need worry about. Shadow Priests are good though. They can act as a mana battery for your healers if they are having problems with longevity, or you can even stick it in the tank group for extra heals, that will help during the silences.
User avatar
Zhalseran
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Postby Stylaan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:18 am

Shakkra wrote:Paladin 1 @ 1533+heal / 14,92 crit / 73mp5
Paladin 2 @ 1403+heal / 15,91 crit / 48mp5
Priest @ 1689+heal / 144mp5

... all unbuffed

And afaik my death is usually following a silence.

So at least the paladins will need more mana regeneration it seems. Probably need more dps aswell. What kind of raid dps should one bring against Nalorakk? Sorry for being clueless :)


Is that 14.92 and 15.91 crit or holy crit (5% talented?)

Paladin 1 is reasonable, if he flasks he should be fine really, paladin two is lacking in healing and regen, so that could be a problem. Priest looks fine.

DPS is important for Nalorakk because he has a LOT of health, if the fight drags on for too long not only do you risk not making the timed loot event but you will also exhaust your healer's mana reserves. If you're dying during silences you could consider doing things to buff your personal survivability, a Greater Stoneshield Potion will do more in the long run than a Super Healing Potion. The silence is short and if you're consistently being topped off there's no reason you should go from full to dead in ~4 seconds...
Image
Stylaan
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:28 am

Re: Tanking Bear

Postby Tresjynn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Stylaan wrote:If you can tank prince you can tank Nalorakk. The issue likely falls on your DPS not being able to bring down his 1.7 million health before your healers OOM, assuming your healers have reasonable kara geared regeneration stats as well as the plus heal you've listed.
Is Nalorakk even 1.7M anymore? The WWS parses I've seen of PTR kills show him at around 1.7 million, but our kill last week only had him at 1.3 million. Nerfed him between beta and live?
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Image
Tresjynn
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:27 am

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest