Trash tanking/(talking)

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trash tanking/(talking)

Postby Tunnis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:05 am

So I was OT in ZA last night and had some problem with the right trash comming to me. There were this group of 4 mobs (before the dragonboss) 2 melee and 2 fire spell caster mobs. I was assigned to take the caster mobs and run around a corner.

What is the best way to get 2 out of 4 mobs to run to me?
Tunnis

Postby majiben » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:40 am

Err don't. Those flame casters are too dangerous to leave two up. What my raid does is have a SP mc one and get it killed (dangerous if someone even so much as buffs or regens during that time) and then I toss AS and pop wings, 1 caster dead and no worries about breaking cc. If we lack a SP we use a mage to sheep one, I toss my shield, pop wings and my icon of the silver crest while without using consecrate (don't want to break cc here). Works like a charm.

If you insist on pulling the two casters at once I hope you are a BE for arcane torrent.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Thanehand » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:17 am

You tank all the mobs.

Packs of 4:

Sheep one caster if there's 2, don't bother if there's one.
Open with AS, or if there's a Scout have the "opener" attack him and immediately taunt the rest off as they attack him.

The caster that comes to you gets killed first, stun it as it gets to you (while others are dealing with the scout if necassary). If you have a good mage, don't bother with the stun. If you have a bad mage, get it to be stunlocked.

The guardians should just stay on you. Make sure you keep them out of LOS if there's a sheep.

If you insist on only tanking 2 of the 4, grab the lot, and have the OT taunt theirs out.
ImageImage
Thanehand

Postby majiben » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 am

He was talking about the last pull before dragon hawk which is 2 casters, 2 melee with a very small bend in the path.
majiben

Postby Tunnis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:49 am

Majiben wrote:He was talking about the last pull before dragon hawk which is 2 casters, 2 melee with a very small bend in the path.

Yes exactly, but it is allso a general question about how to get 2 mobs out of 4 :)

Thanks for the input Majiben and Thanehand.
Tunnis

Postby majiben » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:04 am

If you like that you'll love this: What do you do when you have no druid to root the scouts? Mount up, ride up, and get your HoJ up. Almost makes you wonder why you ever rooted :-D.
majiben

Postby Playdoh » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 am

Our scenario, grap all the guys, it doesn't really matter who tanks what as long as one of us hits skull, and the other hits X.

Tank everything in a group. Flamecasters die 1st. We don't CC those groups.

The haste debuff on the Flamecasters is easily removed by several classes.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 am

To answer the generic question of how do I get two out of 4 mobs, I set my focus to the furthest mob so that I can quickly target him, then select the other one and throw my shield. While my shield is casting I select my focus target. Once the shield is in the air I make sure it hits the first target and judge the focus target. I completely don't care who my shield hits as long as it hits the one target I need it to hit. The other tanks can taunt off you if you get one of their targets. Obviously if you second tank is a paladin then you kinda just need to deal with the fact that one could get more mobs than the other and not worry about it.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Thanehand » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 am

Majiben wrote:He was talking about the last pull before dragon hawk which is 2 casters, 2 melee with a very small bend in the path.

Yeah, I got that, which is why i recommended sheeping 1, and tanking the other 3.. or just tanking all 4...

My point was: tanking 2 out of 4 is not a practical idea
ImageImage
Thanehand

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:11 am

My favorite method on that last group before dragonhawk is actually MCing a flamecaster, and when it's about to die, I charge in and aggro the mobs.

Otherwise, I cast avenger's shield as I see the polymorph being casted on one of the flame guys, so I aggro all the others without killing the mage .
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 pm

We used to sheep 1 of the casters but the thing continually snap sheep and so the mage has to spam sheep and if they are a faction late they will get charged and killed ... it was all too dangerous.

Nowdays I prefer to tank it all first stunning the 2nd to die flamecaster and then everyone smashes the skull. As noted many classes can stop the haste buff and mages that spellsteal it cast at ridiculous speed. It dies in a matter of seconds and you repeat the trick on the second.
ldeboer

Postby ehly » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 pm

The easiest way is if you sheep one just be ready to taunt off the mage. The remaining three should come right at you. The other tank can be MD to or use their single taunt depending on what class they are. If you use MC the same thing taunt off the priest the three live mobs should snap to you. Then the other tank picks up theirs as it goes by.

TBH. I just tank all four on the steps. Nuke one caster, HoJ the other. Our OT picks up what they want.
ehly

Postby Jtree » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:10 pm

ehly wrote:The easiest way is if you sheep one just be ready to taunt off the mage.

I usually target the one to be sheeped for the shield toss, so I get plenty of initial hate with it. There's usually no problem with it going for the mage when it's time to kill it, though lately I just grab the melee guys and let the drood tank the casters one at time. With a rogue and a warrior DPSing, there's rarely a flame blast getting off.
Jtree

Postby Elsie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:50 am

Throw your shield and bring the fight to them so you don't have to kill the pat.
Elsie

Postby Seloei » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:08 pm

CC? whats that =o

Haven't used that in za for ages, only on hlm.

The pack you described there, the final pack of 2 caster/melee before the boss, you are supposed to bring them behind the bend and onto the stairs.
What i do, is chuck a frisbee at the bottom one and it usually bounces to the other caster also, then i run up to them and midway drop a cons. incase the 4. one tries to go for a healer. Then we all run to the stairs, the other tank picks up either skull or cross, whichever and interupts/stuns him.
Seloei

Return to Zul'aman