Solo tanking za?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Solo tanking za?

Postby Ggffstank » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:20 pm

Anyone tried this, think it's impossible and so on?
With 7x dps and possibly 2 shamans Narolak should be able to be defeated by a cancel bubble macro, and I don't think the dragonhawk would be a problem for a paladin. The biggie as I see it would be the lynx.

His cleave does 47500 to 52500 dmg unmitigated. Can be dodged and is mitigated by armor. So with a shaman and a priest healer (2x armor buffs) Ironshield pots, a lock in the grp. Possibly Imp Devotion, Scrolls, and the works, does anyone think the cleave would be survivable? Armor capped that's about 13k dmg. At 18k armor that's about 19k, with the buffs from the priest and the shaman + Ironshield and the works I think the dmg should be about 16k? (haven't done any real math on that since it's late and i cba to find out exactly) witch would be survivable with 23-24k hp.

So, does anyone have any reason beyond the obvious why it wouldn't work?
And does anyone think it could work? Anyone done it and so on?

Think I will try this on Saturday, regardless of what ppl say (provided i get some suicidal ppl with me)
Ggffstank

Postby Seloei » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:27 am

It's been done before, but with a dps warrior/ret pala/feral druid as an offtank. That is actually one way to shave off some time, assuming they have a decent tanking set also. Doesn't have to be great, just long enough to survive a bear rider and eat the lash/cleave on lynx.

edit: split lash on nalorakk - 6k
split last on halazzi - 9-12k +4k "phase split"

So in reality he can be in full dps gear on nalorakk and slap on some stamina heavy gear for the lynx, to hit 14k+ health
Seloei

Postby Ggffstank » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:16 am

I'm thinking more in the way of no offtank period, no feral druids, no fury warriors just taking the hits and heal it.
70 prot pala Kilrogg server
Ggffstank

Postby Wulfhere » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:51 am

It may be doable, but there seems to be several potential problem points.

For the bear, the 2 bear rider pulls may be harder than Nalorakk himself. You could have an MC tank one on the 4 pull, but the 2 bear rider only pull may be dicey with the stacking debuff.

At the dragonhawk, you will probably not be wearing much/any FR gear. This will cause you to eat many debuffs from the hatchlings which will cause you to take a ton of damage from the fire breath. The hatchlings will, of course, eat up your HS charges causing constant crushes during the hatched phase. This will make it difficult to keep the hatchlings off your 2 healers who will have to be landing constant huge heals on you during that period.

If you have enough AoE to kill the hatchlings without regard to aggro, you can just have everyone group up, maybe, but then people will start dying to the fire breath.

The lynx will often saber lash twice in a 5s or less period. There is a lot of room for bad luck there. If you can hit 24K health with maintaining decent avoidance (>50%) and your group is at the same gear level, then you're prob way over-geared for ZA and it may be possible.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Wulfhere

Postby Holyfuri » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 am

I don't recall where but I have seen both the bear and dragonhawk bosses solo tanked by a paladin that is in T6+ gear. I have actually been debating on solo tanking dragonhawk myself. It sounds fun.

The biggest issue is halazzi and his cleaves, as has been mentioned.

I also agree that the dual bear rider pulls before the bear boss are harder to deal with than the boss himself. they can be sheeped though, so if there is enough cc (i.e. two mages, spriest, hunter) it should be manageable.
Holyfuri

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 pm

But part of the timed run is that you kill things quickly. A sheep slows the progress down because not only is it a time killer but there is no threat built up on the second target after the first dies.

It is just much easier to bring another tank to the place than it is to try and completely solo it.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby Seloei » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 pm

the bear riders before nalorakk are immune to CC. Each applies a debuff that makes you take 100% more damage, and without it, they hurt.

6k + 4k hits turn into 12k + 8k hits, from 2 sources, dualwield.
Seloei

Postby Ggffstank » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:28 pm

A bit delayed but we tried it today and it turned out the bear-boss was just as hard as I thoght it would be.

Should be said i got ultra unlucky on the pull and had judge, shield throw and md all miss, so he went ahead and almost killed my healer and he did kill my boomkin before he had gotten to 98% so the dmg was a bit gimped.
I did the cancle bubble on the first bear phase and i died at the end of the second, but my dpsers managed to burn him down with 4 ppl left standing :)
As for the bear pulls before the boss those are no problem, they die so fast they don't really have time to do any real dmg.

We fucked up on the dragonhawk to, and managed to kill both hachers in the start before the fight. Nuked him down way to fast and had to stop for 30 sec at 45% to wait for hatcher. They came, first wave of hatchings wasn't a problem. Nuked him down to 35% and got the whole other side and that was a problem, i died again... but yet again my dps manage to kill him while he was throwing bombs.

The last boss was a big anticlimax tbh, he only cleaved me once and it felt like that wasnt a big deal at all for the healers, yet again we nuked him down seriously fast so the phases with cleave basicly ended before they started.

We pulled it off with 3-4 min to spare. We would have had loads more but ppl were to nervous about the one tank thingy so they kept doing stupid mistakes. The hardest part for me was definetly the trash, because the dps goes all out all the time, full aoe everything and when you start loosing aggro the imba 15sec cd taunt isn't exactly what the doctor ordered.

Highly recommend trying it to anyone who wants a challange, be it dps healers or tanks.

Za is definetly doable with only one tank.

(Might do it again next reset to get it frapsed)
Ggffstank

Postby caboom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Zx wrote:But part of the timed run is that you kill things quickly. A sheep slows the progress down because not only is it a time killer but there is no threat built up on the second target after the first dies.

It is just much easier to bring another tank to the place than it is to try and completely solo it.

the idea of bringing one more dps instead of a tank is that, for instance u get let's say a destro lock, u get so much time shaved off the bosses that u can afford losing more on trash imho.

@Ggffstank : GJ dude, w8ting for the fraps and screenshots :D
caboom

Postby Davalin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:07 am

Yeah if you have a fraps of it gg you should post it up i would love to watch it! Why dont u just take me for a second tank next time yeah ;)
Powerbocking FTW!
Davalin

Postby Maat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:41 am

Crazy stuff~~

I had the (mis)fortune to solo tank Nalorakk from about 60% down and it sucked for everyone (pity my healers for the last 20% with Mangle up and him switching to bear...)

Personally, I would rather see more of my friends/guildies running around with bears than risk a loss due to tanking e-peen, when just bringing someone capable of off-tanking would bring the success rate near 100% :x Would love to see the gear though-
Maat

Postby Ggffstank » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:14 am

Here's a screenie after the last boss.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa62 ... 40copy.jpg

We went with 2 mages, destro lock, hunter, shadow and coh priest's, resto and ele shaman, moonkin druid and me. Were most of us end or middle Bt geard.
Ggffstank

Return to Zul'aman