Off Tanking Linx

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Off Tanking Linx

Postby wesintex » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 am

Last night I was the off-tank in our ZA run and we made it to the Linx boss and my job was to keep aggro on the linx but right when he was coming out I was having trouble keeping him from killing a healer before he would come to me.

At first I tried judging and then taunting if he wasn't targeting me, sometimes this would work but other times he would look at me for the duration of the taunt then run back, other times he would switch targets right as I was taunting so it wouldn't affect him.

Then I switched to throwing my Frisbee at him right off the bat and then taunting if necessary and then judging as soon as he was in range.

The latter method seemed to be working but I only had 1 attempt to really try it out.

I need to figure out a way to get the Linx before he kills a healer and puts to much strain on the other healers.

PS: I was throwing down consecrate right before the split.
wesintex

Postby Vixxy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 am

If you're quick with your judgment and have a decent amount of buffed SD, that should pick him up and keep him in your consecrate long enough to keep him on you. However, I find using Avenger's Shield a lot easier and it lets me be pretty lazy on the fight. There's a topic that goes more in depth on this that you might want to read, but that's the gist of it.

/cleartarget
/targetexact Spirit of the Lynx
/stopmacro [target=target, noexists]
/cast Avenger's Shield

Swap out Avenger's Shield for Judgment if that's how you prefer to work it. Just start spamming that when he's switching. The only thing you really have to watch out for if you do use AS is that sometimes he'll spawn right behind you and you may have to turn as you cast if he turns toward a healer on the other side.
Vixxy

Postby towelliee » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:24 am

Macro worked the best for me. Just SoR and then spam the macro and it will judge it before it has a chance to hit anyone.
towelliee

Postby ShaiHulud » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:59 am

My tankadin is my alt but I went through ZA this past week as an OT for a buddy. I didn't even think I had the gear to OT. But anyway all I did on Lynx was drop a Conc about 3 seconds before the split and then spam tab and judge the lynx he'd take off fora second but come right back after me. My spell dmg isn't that great either.
^The new WoTLK Main
^Old TBC main
ShaiHulud

Postby Helenia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Have SoR up.

Tab target at 75 / 50 / 25%

Judge.

Win.
Helenia

Postby Voxe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:01 am

I've done this a couple of times now, Consecration in combination with JoR works perfect for me.
Voxe

Postby Katerina » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:57 am

Voxe wrote:I've done this a couple of times now, Consecration in combination with JoR works perfect for me.

I haven't tried it, but is the lynx stunnable? That might help if you are having trouble getting initial aggro, as then the lynx would sit still in your cons for a few ticks.

I have a universal add-pick up macro with a list of crap that needs to be targeted mid-fight, including Spirit of the Lynx (Kil'rek, Moroes, Phoenix, you get the idea). It tries to target the list of mobs, has a no target exists line, and then if it finds a target, judges and tries to exorcise (since judgement doesn't trigger the GCD). I cast max rank cons just before it spawns and spam the EZ button....

I pop a spell damage trinket on the first one and wings on the second. I suppose a destro pot on the third would work if you wanted some more threat since your trinket cd won't be up.
Katerina

Postby Voxe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:43 am

Usually the JoR and Consecration is enough to keep the lynx on me without trouble, I can even switch back to the human form to DPS (a bit).

I tend to pop mah wingzz (excuse my french) when I've established aggtro from Lynx and switched back to human form.

I don't know about stunning, if I had to guess, I'd say no, since most bosses (which this is and not rly an add) are immune to any form of CC, including stuns.
I could give it a try on me next run though.
Voxe

Postby Makaijin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Personally I use this macro.

/cleartarget
/cast Judgement
/cast Avenger's Shield

As the boss approaches the 75%/50%/25% mark, precast consecration, SoR (or SoB if horde) and Holy shield, then just spam the macro. As soon as the lynx spams it will judge and AS automatically. It's also a good idea to set the boss as your focus target so you can monitor his health more easily.
Makaijin

Postby Pyrates » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:40 am

Just to chime in: I did this for the first time last week with my prot-turned Ret. I just did it the simple way (my playstile isn't really sophisticated ^^): Consecrate shortly after the transformation, and give him an SoR. Worked everytime (I was really nervous about that, I don't even have a macro for Righteous Defense...). Just one little standard trick nobody yet mentioned: Press "v" to see the health bars of the mobs, makes finding your target easy and you can actually hit him earlier. Once he has turned to you, he's not gonna run off :)
" ... and the Vogon will do things to you that you wish you'd never been born, or, if you're a clearer minded thinker, that the Vogon had never been born."
Pyrates

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:52 am

Code: Select all
/cleartarget
/stopmacro [target=target,noexists]
/cast Judgement
/cast Avenger's Shield

This macro sums up lynx tanking to
1: cast consecration near the transition
2: cast SoR
3: mash macro till the lynx is on you.

It's flawless because it only hits the lynx oncei t's available, judgment won't autotarget, and you'll get high threat before he even starts moving. And it's of easy usage since you can literally just mash it without wasting skills
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Nimda » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:06 am

Ty all for those macros. was looking for something like this exactly.
Nimda

Postby Voxe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:49 am

I tanked the Lynx yesterday, popping consecrate just before the split and Judging Righteousness as he pops up will glue him to you.

I tried the stun, to which he is immune (unfortunately).
Voxe

Return to Zul'aman