Trying for 3 Chests

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trying for 3 Chests

Postby TheHonage » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:44 am

OK, so I basically ran ZA since the last reser when I was having so many issues. We were a lot better overal, but Dragonhawk is definately our Achiles Heel. Note: Our dps had been HEAVILY upgraded. So, I was wondering if it was possible to go Bear --> Eagle --> Lynx in some order (we currently do Bear --> Eagle no problem) for a 3 chest clear. The rings could really help some of us out so its worth trying. Thanks
TheHonage

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:55 am

Learn the Dragnohawk. It's not any harder than eagle for DPS.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 am

Dragonhawk is the biggest stopper imho.
You can theoretically go bear -> eagle -> lynx and make the 3. timer but you really need to learn Dhawk. After we got him on a regular basis, it only took us a few weeks to hit the 4. box, dhawk trash is the worst, and the fire bombs can be lethal but with proper skill/gear he is cake.
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:22 am

Seloei wrote:Dragonhawk is the biggest stopper imho.
You can theoretically go bear -> eagle -> lynx and make the 3. timer but you really need to learn Dhawk. After we got him on a regular basis, it only took us a few weeks to hit the 4. box, dhawk trash is the worst, and the fire bombs can be lethal but with proper skill/gear he is cake.
I can sincerely say the only people threatened _at all_ with fire bombs are the tanks, if at all. As an add tank, I have yet to get hit by bombs a second time. By default you can easily see a free spot close to you, you have all the time of the world and these lil buggers will follow you =P

The number of safe spots is huge and the spots themselves can be just as big, it was much easier than I thought when I first read the fight.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 am

I think Lynx trash is more dangerous than Dhawk trash.

Lynx boss is marginally easier, depending on how you do either boss.

Originally on dhawk we had the OT tank and I would AOE tank the hawks. Then a few weeks ago we went to me tanking the boss, and 2 dps splitting off to either side and killing half the hawks, and taking two or three cycles to clear them. Then a couple weeks ago we moved back to OT on boss, and just spawning all the hawks, because the boss was hitting 35% before all the eggs could spawn.

We kill one hatcher, then let the other hatcher hatch everything. When one side is clear and he moves to the other, he'll continue to hatch in large chunks, instead of starting over from 1. I bring my FR gear, which makes it pretty trivial, and keeps me from dropping dead if I get targeted for breath while having a bunch of debuffs.

I highly recommend this method; reducing the fight to a tank-and-spank in the first couple minutes makes for a quick and controllable boss kill.

On Lynx, DPS sticks on the boss the entire time, and I just keep a judgement ready to pick up the add. This is not a difficult fight.

For the trash, on dhawk, as long as you try not to pull more than 2 trainers at once (slept healers is bad), and help out on decursing (especially when healers are slept), it's not difficult.

Lynx trash can be a little unpredictable and I have the hardest time managing mana on that path. MCed dps can eat healers if you're really unlucky, and people pre-aggroing the hidden packs can cause chaos if you're not ready for it.

You're probably better off taking the traditional route from eagle->bear -> dhawk -> lynx, since it'll cause the least confusion when you start switching to bear runs.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Taeron » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 am

Seloei wrote:Dragonhawk is the biggest stopper imho.

I completely agree. Learn the proper way, it'll pay out in the long run. The Dragonhawk can be a pain, but practice makes perfect.

P.S.
Seloei, you also wear Master Builder's Shirt!!! Weee! You are pro!
Taeron

Postby Frickit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:21 pm

This is what I want to do with my ZA group. The reason being is when we try to go Eagle then Bear we dont make it. It seems like after we kill Eagle, even if we book it (we are still new to the dungeon kinda) we dont make the bear timer. But if we do Nalorak then Eagle we do it with time to spare so I am also curious if sprinting to Halazi for a third is a tough run and if theres anything I can do to make it happen.
Frickit

Postby towelliee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:40 am

Dhawk boss is so easy. People always complain about the bombs. There is always and i mean ALWAYS a spot to stand for the whole raid to get to around the sqaure in middle I mean BIG ASS spots to just sit there. As long as your not standing in front of boss fro his cleave your good. And as long as you got a good pally tank for hatching birds this boss is cake for a one shot.
towelliee

Postby Seloei » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 pm

the eggs you can easily control with a frost trap/earthbind totem, judge the first and consec. picks up the last.
Zoom out to max, look in through the top and move to the safe spots. Can be hard to see with all the birds near you but if nothing else, mark someone else with a sign and go for his spot as soon as bombs start.
The boss does not attack while his throwing out bombs, so healers can find a place while the tank won't be dieing, but 2s before the explosion he runs to the tank and starts meleeing.

Once you learn how to not die on the bombs, and the tank on the boss is not a "crush'a'lot warrior" he will go down without a hitch.

The flame caster trash however is more unreliable, if you don't cc them or have interupts. Those aoe's can really hurt.
Seloei

Postby Talwen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:34 am

My group has just started with what will hopefully become bear runs, and I'm having trouble with the adds on Dragonhawk (cost us the third chest last night, sadly). As several of the posters mentioned above, it can be hard to see the clear spot with so many adds on you--sometimes it works out just fine for me, but other times I end up on a bomb that I just never saw due to the visual clutter of the little dragonhawks. We ended up marking the hunter who was trapping for me, and he found a safe spot to stand while I just followed him once the bombs popped up. This worked great, but it seems a bit cheap; any other suggestions for how I can deal with finding safe places to stand?
Talwen

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:50 am

Also: Go eagle->bear->dragonhawk, not bear->eagle->dragonhawk. You waste too much time running around by going bear first.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Frickit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 am

Lore wrote:Also: Go eagle->bear->dragonhawk, not bear->eagle->dragonhawk. You waste too much time running around by going bear first.

When we did that we went straight to bear from eagle without stopping for a second and we missed the timer...any thoughts? It seems like the timer was really low after eagle died like only 10 mins i think. We only did it that way once.
Frickit

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:56 am

Entrance through eagle trash done properly should only take about 3-4 minutes. We usually have 18 minutes on the timer when we pull him >.>
Lore
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:53 pm

Lore wrote:Entrance through eagle trash done properly should only take about 3-4 minutes. We usually have 18 minutes on the timer when we pull him >.>

By "done properly" Lore means PULL IN BIG CHUNKS.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Zul'aman